88 XR Build Thread - Rose

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 88 XR Build Thread - Rose

Post by cmouta » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:54 am

Update: I was still having problems with the engine dying when dropping to idle in neutral so I finally bumped the base idle from 750 to ~825rpm and set the TPS to .96V and reset the ECU. runs rock solid now! Just in time to put her away for the winter.
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:05 pm

18 psi should be fine with these motors. just unplug your overboost buzzer!

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:33 pm

I have it dialed in just before overboost buzzer, dead nuts on the red line on the boost gauge, which I checked with calibration equipment. Every once in a while it will hit the overboost buzzer but I think its funny to leave it on for passengers' sake to add to the mix of noises going on. wiirrrrrr meeeep pssshhh
Chris

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta » Tue May 26, 2015 10:12 am

Finally finished up my single belt serpentine conversion setup yesterday using a 92 mustang PS bracket bracket/tensioner, 92 mustang WP pulley, single belt single bolt serp crank pulley from ??, and relocated alternator with modified AC bracket. Ended up using a Napa 57.5" belt #060575 which required a small bit of adjustment on the alternator turnbuckle to get it to stop squealing and get the tensioner line in between the two marks on the bracket. Could use a beefier turnbuckle that isn't at the end of its threads. Also installed a new power steering high pressure line and bled with mobil1 synthetic ATF, not a peep from the pump!

I think I have an oil leak:

mismatched bolts that are driving me nuts and I need to make a proper spacer to get the turnbuckle straightened out and allow full engagement of that locking nut.

Added a megafuse block with 125A megafuse for the new 4AWG alternator wiring. (temporary alternator trigger in speaker wire shown)

Notched AC bracket for belt but might have just cleared without it. 3G pulley was notched on the inside to fit the woodruff key on the alternator shaft. Also required a washer notched out to sit on top of the pulley so the nut wouldn't hit the keY.
Chris

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:08 am

Bad voltage regulator on stock alternator so I upgraded to a 3G with a 175A megafuse (need to run better wiring for trigger signal, it's all I had on hand, Also need to find a better place for the overflow tank). Had the flow valve backwards in the power steering pump per an incorrect drawing in the maintenance manual. Swapped that around, vacuum bled with a spare reservoir cap with a barbed fitting hooked up to a mityvac. Never been quieter! Well, it's still loud when turning but no more whine at idle which is an improvement. Voltage is a steady 14.8 which I thought was high but searching on mustang forums seems normal.

Ready for the rotated intake! Well, first I have to plug the EGR in the header. Probably need to remove the turbo and exhaust manifold since it's so rusty. If I remove the turbo I should probably install the cossie turbine housing I've had in a box for 4 years. I'll probably need to make a downpipe for that then... :banghead

Oh whats this?? a mig welder I bought yesterday to do that very task and also repair my rusty Contour rocker panels! :headbang

Now to learn how to weld.
Chris

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:34 am

Engine bay looks very nice-- now that you've bothered to relocate the alternator, no doubt a rotated intake is swinging two bats in the Batter's Circle!
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks, the whole thing needs a good cleaning. I've got a 90deg rotated intake sitting in a box ready to be installed but I just got this running after months so I'm thinking i'll just enjoy it for a bit. I'd love to get a nicely done "Ford Fuel Injection Turbo" valve cover but there's always functional stuff that needs to be purchased instead.
Chris

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Looks good Chris! Looks like we ran through the same exact process on the alternator. Had my stock in that location for a bit, but it went out shortly after. Running a nice 3G now and rock solid voltage!

For making the Cossie downpipe you'll need this:

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/3- ... -3053.html

And a 3-bolt flange. I used a 3.5" to 3.0" and it leaked a bit because of the angle (I had to trim it down). Ray used the 3.25" based on my recommendation and it fit like a glove. Make sure to machine the angle on the flange to match the cone and back of the housing. I got mine (housing and flange) from Tryingbe over on Turbo Bricks. I believe John V also has the flanges. Either way, it should be very easy to machine if you have the housing. I have a buddy that could laser cut one if you're interested. I have a spare flange and housing.
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:18 am

hEaT wrote:Looks good Chris! Looks like we ran through the same exact process on the alternator. Had my stock in that location for a bit, but it went out shortly after. Running a nice 3G now and rock solid voltage!

For making the Cossie downpipe you'll need this:

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/3- ... -3053.html

And a 3-bolt flange. I used a 3.5" to 3.0" and it leaked a bit because of the angle (I had to trim it down). Ray used the 3.25" based on my recommendation and it fit like a glove. Make sure to machine the angle on the flange to match the cone and back of the housing. I got mine (housing and flange) from Tryingbe over on Turbo Bricks. I believe John V also has the flanges. Either way, it should be very easy to machine if you have the housing. I have a buddy that could laser cut one if you're interested. I have a spare flange and housing.
Perfect! I was just looking for the 3->3.25" transition and couldn't find it, thanks! I'm pretty sure I have the 3bolt flange kicking around somewhere as well. Just need to get this downpipe going and mentally prepare myself for breaking bolts.
Chris

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:45 pm

ive got one of JVAB cossie housing flanges and elbow. Yours for $25 shipped if you need it still. PM me your number if you need a pic.

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:50 am

Test fitting an SVT Focus caliper(54mm piston vs XR 60MM piston vs Later SVT Contour(same caliper as standard Contour, different carrier bracket and rotor size) 60mm Piston), bracket, and rotor setup I picked up a few days ago. As mentioned by nzwinrz here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=25125#p235761

It is indeed a 15mm gap you need to fill to make them work along with drilling out the knuckle to accept, by my measurements, an M12x1.75x40 bolt. I'll hopefully be picking up both the spacers and bolts soon to verify. I believe the gap is around 10-12mm if you wanted to use the SVT Contour setup. I believe OEM hoses for those calipers will also work on the XR because they all use a M10 x 1 bubble flare at the hard line.

Plenty of room with my Borbet 16" wheels

Chris

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:24 pm

Interesting. What made you choose the single piston SVTF calipers over the dual piston PBRs?
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:13 pm

hEaT wrote:Interesting. What made you choose the single piston SVTF calipers over the dual piston PBRs?
Besides a good deal on calipers/pads/rotors/brackets that had supposedly less than 2 years use for $150, I actually wanted to use a 60mm piston to keep things similar to the stock setup, which I think I can eventually do with a contour caliper from what I've read on contour/cougar forums. I like the idea that if I do ever upgrade to something more aggressive I could always use this setup on the Contour. Looking at the numbers, the piston area is significantly less than stock as compared to the mustang which is only a little more, which is a bummer but maybe I'll like the feel. I didn't really want to mess with master cylinders or brake line fittings so this seemed quick and easy. Here is the data I've collected through forum scouring and rockauto part specs. I don't know how varying brake boosters and other technologies affect things so maybe this is useless other than for reference.

SVT Focus: 54mm piston,A=2289.06mm^2, 23mm MC, 300mm rotor

SE V6 Contour: 60mm Piston, A=2826mm^2, 25mm MC, 260mm rotor

E1 SVT Contour: 60mm Piston,A=2826mm^2, 25mm MC, 278mm rotor

85 XR4ti: 60mm piston,A=2826mm^2, 23.8mm MC, 260mm rotor

88 XR4ti: 60mm piston,A=2826mm^2, 25.4mm MC. 260mm rotor

mustang PBR: dual 45mm piston,A=3179.25mm^2, 25.4mm MC( I believe w/o abs), 278mm rotor
Chris

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:51 am

SVT Focus brakes installed with EBC Redstuff pads. 15mm spacers with M12x1.5x40mm bolt did the trick perfectly. You use OEM XR brake hoses to make this work unless you want to start fiddling with adapters and fittings.

artsy comparison of stock vs new:

MC2 Racing diff mount installed yesterday:

Probably the first time in a while I've really looked around back there. Not crazy about all the obvious fluid everywhere. Might be time to R&R the whole rear end this winter.

The new diff mount feels great. The car used to feel a little squirrelly when you'd get on it and it would stress me out like I was hanging on for my life in a crazy carnival ride. Now it goes into boost and delivers the power in a very reasonable manner. All that's left for rubber are the beam mount bushings to do.
Chris

cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:31 am

5$ Go Pro mount: scrap tube from work, 5/8ths holes drilled for 4 grommets from a harbor freight grommet pack. fin. Snug fit, rock solid video, minimal potential for impalement.

Chris