Rebuilding an XR4TI

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Rebuilding an XR4TI

Post by merkurdriver »

Looking good! :cheers
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I agree with your dad about the bend in the hose from fuel filter to.pump...unless it's a pre-formed hose, it's likely to constrict flow and also crack earlier thsn expected.

For short runs like that, use double that length curled in the middle so tension on the hose at every arc is reduced.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
cmanreinhart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmanreinhart »

merkurdriver wrote:Looking good! :cheers
Thanks, Mike! :cheers

Ed Lijewski wrote:I agree with your dad about the bend in the hose from fuel filter to.pump...unless it's a pre-formed hose, it's likely to constrict flow and also crack earlier thsn expected.

For short runs like that, use double that length curled in the middle so tension on the hose at every arc is reduced.

YMMV 8)
Yeah, that's something ill definitely look into changing this winter. Plus I'm looking to change up the rear hatch area this winter by adding a fire wall that will separate me from where the fuel cell and battery are. So ill probably end up relocating the fuel pump and fuel filter as well.

Not a very good angle but, here's the basic idea of what I wanna do with the fuel cell and battery.

-Conner
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

Far be it from me to ever suggest that a person could ever learn anything from any body elses' experience but when Ford was using this car they said the best placement of the fuel cell was between the rear shock towers and directly over the diff....the claimed that in that position it had the benefit of weight over the axle and something about having the least change of effect on vehicle handling as the fuel load was diminished..

Then they used the spare tire well as the place to put the 2 fuel pumps---mere 150l/hr (see? mere 150l/hr for a 400 hp car--what were they thinking? Every 19 y.o. kid knows you need 225+ l/hr for their Civic..150 liter and hours :oops: ) and a large Bosch filter...easy to get to and "safe' they said.

But hey, really as its been proven so many times before by so many of the experts here: what the hell did Ford motorsports know anyway?
For example they ran the fuel and brake lines INSIDE the car...so poppycock about being safer from debris and environmental damage..
Can you imagine? who ever heard of such an idea inside the car.. :lol:

I'm sure you have carefully thought out why the cell and all that weight should be way over in one corner and why fuel abd brake lines should be outside and underneath the car, there must be good solid well thought out reasons..
Pay no attention to anything Ford Motorsport did.
Design, materials and above all TECHNOLOGY have changed since these cars were used so that simple statement sweeps away all previous experience and designs and it has to be true if everybody keeps saying that, right?
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

John V wrote:Far be it from me to ever suggest that a person could ever learn anything from any body elses' experience but when Ford was using this car they said the best placement of the fuel cell was between the rear shock towers and directly over the diff....the claimed that in that position it had the benefit of weight over the axle and something about having the least change of effect on vehicle handling as the fuel load was diminished..

Then they used the spare tire well as the place to put the 2 fuel pumps---mere 150l/hr (see? mere 150l/hr for a 400 hp car--what were they thinking? Every 19 y.o. kid knows you need 225+ l/hr for their Civic..150 liter and hours :oops: ) and a large Bosch filter...easy to get to and "safe' they said.

But hey, really as its been proven so many times before by so many of the experts here: what the hell did Ford motorsports know anyway?
For example they ran the fuel and brake lines INSIDE the car...so poppycock about being safer from debris and environmental damage..

I'm sure you have carefully thought out why the cell and all that weight should be way over in one corner and why fuel abd brake lines should be outside and underneath the car, there must be good solid well thought out reasons..
Design, materials and above all TECHNOLOGY have changed since these cars were used so that simple statement sweeps away all previous experience and designs and it has to be true if everybody keeps saying that, right?
150l/h per pump or combined?

I think he wants more of a street car:
cmanreinhart wrote:Alright so time for a little update... The other day I did pick up a 10 gallon fuel cell (its a little small but hey the price was right) since my gas tank was far to gone and need replacing. So what I ended up doing was cutting out out a portion of my spare tire well since the tank fit in there perfectly and to run my pick up line and what not. In hindsight I wish I didn't make the hole so big since I end up cutting into some undercarriage reinforcement.... Oh well im still learning. I was thinking about doing the John V style where you mount the fuel cell in between the two rear strut towers since its the safest spot and the weights over the rear axle but I still wanted to be able to put a back seat in.
cmanreinhart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmanreinhart »

John V wrote:Far be it from me to ever suggest that a person could ever learn anything from any body elses' experience but when Ford was using this car they said the best placement of the fuel cell was between the rear shock towers and directly over the diff....the claimed that in that position it had the benefit of weight over the axle and something about having the least change of effect on vehicle handling as the fuel load was diminished..

Yeah I know "Its probably the safest area to put the fuel cell" but and as I stated earlier and like what Joe referenced; I'm looking for more of a street car at the moment. But still a car I can take to motorsport some events like say drift events which, after going to a few events, talking to the guys that hold the events, and speculating other peoples builds (Even legal Formula Drift builds) Most of them if not all of them have there fuel cell in the rear of their car (trunk or hatch). Gradient like I stated earlier it may not be the safest place to put it but, with the addition of adding a little bit more structure to the rear of the car along with a fire wall/box where the fuel cell is enclosed... you can have yourself a damn safe setup...

Also at the time, with the fuel cell being a relatively small tank. It just fit so well in the spare tire well and for the time being, it was a setup that got me on the road and actually driving the car (before I was about to lose interest in it) so now that I'm more interested in the car I'm changing my original design and making it safer. :D
-Conner
cmanreinhart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmanreinhart »

With winter approaching in SE Michigan, I figured this thread needed a update....

Last winter I made the decision to swap the boring old open diff to a 4.30 Supra LSD unit. The following pictures are when I bought the diff (dissembled), assembled the diff and the fabrication of custom CV/Half-shaft adapters; I ended up utilizing the old OEM CV stubs that press into the diff, of which I cut off and welded onto 1/4" plate steel (making up the difference in width between the Supra and XR differential).

-Conner
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Nice diff adapters :cheers
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

agreed. nice job on those adapters.