2.0L Ford Racing EcoBoost swap into an '87 XR

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
xrpl

2.0L Ford Racing EcoBoost swap into an '87 XR

Post by xrpl »

Just received an early Christmas present from Ford Racing. I purchased their "controls pack" and 2.0L EcoBoost engine kit. First of all, kudos to Ford for offering a truly plug and play system to install their EcoBoost four cylinder into almost anything. And thank you to Modern Driveline for developing a bellhousing that allows for the use of a T5. The drivetrain is out of the car and hopefully I can have the new engine in in a few weeks!

timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 2.0L Ford Racing EcoBoost swap into an '87 XR

Post by timxr8 »

Whoa, post pictures of Modern Driveline's solution. I got a block plate developed by a friendly Canadian on a Ranger Forum for my Dtech build. Uses 5.0 bell and came with a custom made Spec flywheel (Dtech bolt spacing/5.0 size). Only real difference with the EB is the HP fuel pump on the back of the head.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
Tiberius1701

Post by Tiberius1701 »

Sounds great!!!! Cannot wait to see your progress!!!!
Currently Merkless :(
2014 Fusion SE 'Sport' 1.6EB 6-speed manual
cmanreinhart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmanreinhart »

Woah.... This is going to be sweet!
-Conner
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

:cheers Watching this thread for sure!
svt4cobra6

Post by svt4cobra6 »

Sweet! Do you have to do a lot of modifications to the motor mounts?
itking
Level 4
Level 4

Post by itking »

Awesome! Can't wait to see the progress photos.
Ron
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - Magenta [My XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Bunny [Wife's XR]
1988 Merkur XR4Ti - Raven [Daughter's XR]
1985 Merkur XR4Ti - Wombat [Youngest Son's XR]
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L - Betsy
2002 Buick Century Custom - Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Charger 383
John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V »

Been done; 2.0 Ecoboost and mazda Miata 6 speed... this is past weekend at Wally Amerwica Oregon Trails Rally

Dave Clark from Yakima WA in Sean Medcrofts old Xratty with JVAB suspesnion, brakes, Supra LSD and kit, engine mounts, sump guard mountings...

Fighting all weekend long with Dave Hintz in a 3,2l BMW M3......Dave's got about 15 years more experience, Dave has the Xratty ..

Congrats to both...

Naturally no shots of the installation..
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

Now it would be even better if Ford would also offer one of the modern 6-speed automated manuals with a trans control module too. As I understand it the XR has slightly better aerodynamics than the upcoming Focus RS. One of the modern motor and trannies in an XR might yield some impressive performance, and MPGs at the same time.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

svt4cobra6 wrote:Sweet! Do you have to do a lot of modifications to the motor mounts?
No, as I suspect his stock motor mounts sit on a shelf now entirely unmodified. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to seeing the details on this project.
Brad
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
svt4cobra6 wrote:Sweet! Do you have to do a lot of modifications to the motor mounts?
No, as I suspect his stock motor mounts sit on a shelf now entirely unmodified. :mrgreen:

Looking forward to seeing the details on this project.
Hopefully, he will utilize the method Ford used for their Group A stuff.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
xrpl

Post by xrpl »

I have all of the original motor mount parts from the 2.3. My fabricator buddy is stopping by to help me design the new ones this week. Thanks to Ford for having tapped holes pretty much in the same position on the block of the 2.0! The old mounts might even work with some slight mods! I have been working on cleaning everything and mocking up the intercooler and radiator placement. Any suggestions out there for a new in tank fuel pump? The Ecoboost does not need the in line pump as it has a high pressure pump on top of the engine.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

If the high-pressure pump's a part of the engine, just replace the stock in-tank pump. Very common, works fine. Good time to look at the condition of your gas tank, freshen things up for the new motor.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

xrpl wrote:I have all of the original motor mount parts from the 2.3. My fabricator buddy is stopping by to help me design the new ones this week. Thanks to Ford for having tapped holes pretty much in the same position on the block of the 2.0! The old mounts might even work with some slight mods! I have been working on cleaning everything and mocking up the intercooler and radiator placement. Any suggestions out there for a new in tank fuel pump? The Ecoboost does not need the in line pump as it has a high pressure pump on top of the engine.
I won't swear to it but I think I have heard the Cosworth YB alum mounting ears bolt up to one of the newer blocks. Seems crazy but I can almost see the image in my head...
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

xrpl wrote:I have all of the original motor mount parts from the 2.3. My fabricator buddy is stopping by to help me design the new ones this week. Thanks to Ford for having tapped holes pretty much in the same position on the block of the 2.0! The old mounts might even work with some slight mods!
I've always assumed that the mounts would need to be entirely custom (hence my comment above). If the stock mounts could be modified or adapter-ized for use with the Duratec that would be a big step towards more of these getting done.

Please keep us updated and take lots of pics! :mrgreen:
Brad