Cig lighter [alt power] R&R

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Cig lighter [alt power] R&R

Post by Bob Weir »

At Carlisle 2015, Phil asked about R&Ring the cig [power plug].

To best of my knowledge, when I ripped mine apart, you have to:
1] remove facia to access plug assembly,
2] disconnect pwr/gnd connector,
3] slide off light bulb connector assembly,
4] depress tabs on green ring and push power assembly [green ring & metal guts towards front.
*] You can slide the metal guts out of the green light ring.

Attached Photobucket
NOTE cryptic labels are next winning lottery numbers affixed to scrap plastic on plate above cig lighter used to cover hole where OEM amp was.

phild765
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Cig lighter [alt power] R&R

Post by phild765 »

Hi Bob,

Never saw that post, thanks for doing that. Having to take off the lower dash again is right up there with:
Endoscopy (again)
Root Canal
Turn your head and cough
Another Root Canal

I'll get to it thought, thanks!

Phil D
Check out our new Groove oriented web radio station: http://www.thebocx.com
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Cig lighter [alt power] R&R

Post by Bob Weir »

Hi Phil,

If you need just the [politically correct] "power accessory port" aka cig lighter guts, I have a few for a "very reasonable price". :lol:

This procedure for the Scorpio does NOT require removing any dash components. However, for a Scorpio, releasing the center console surround is best way to remove the stereo bezel because the bezel is slightly below the front of the surround and u wouldn't want to snap off the 2 lower pins of the bezel.

XR I scanned the my XR manual. Possibly, you can remove the stereo head, reach inside to remove cig lighter guts and simply insert a new cig lighter guts.

:oops: Did u elec test the cig lighter guts for power? All of mine are ok, it was only the clamping tabs that hold the lighter in place. Bending them toward center makes a firmer contact. [ I could make a comment about sticking a skinny item into a bigger hole, but I won't.] If u don't have pwr to cig port, then it's probably elec malfunction. Not that Merkurs ever have that situation. :BS

Bob
PS
Endoscopy is ok [I have Merkur, so self inflicted pain is a given]. It's the pre-flush I hate! :cheers
Root Canal - Just yank the nfg tooth doc. :haha
Turn head & cough - A daily occurrence from 50 yrs of cigs. :withstupid

PPS It's VA day, so the girls are taking me out to dinner, where mine will be free. But I'll get-em on the Godfathers.

OK too many pre-dinner wines. I'm outahere :popcorn