88 Scorpio project (Ninja)

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

88 Scorpio project (Ninja)

Post by SvoSierra »

Ninja, 1988 Merkur Scorpio (my first)

I’m not entirely sure where this project will ultimately go, but I do not want a stock Scorpio for very long. I’ve done a few XR projects, now it’s time to take a walk on the dark side… Here goes nothing.

I put out a feeler for possibly wanting a Scorpio after Carlisle, because it seems everyone there who has or had one, love them. I didn’t want to be left out and besides I had a vision for a build that no one has done yet. Most builds I see are underdone or over-done. I wanted preferably a runner or close to it and within 2 days Jeff at Merkur Midwest comes through. Previously owned and daily driven by a relative of his and parked in November, $700 later it was delivered with a bunch of junk in the trunk for me to mess with in the future. Nothing special to look at in Chestnut metallic, a little rust around the arches, but it’s a start. This is not intended to be a restoration as the rust has taken hold, but an almost full mockup of the next Scorpio project I plan.

Much more to come
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Re: 88 Scorpio project (Ninja)

Post by SvoSierra »

First step is verifying it is drivable. E-brake dead, not a big deal, it is an automatic. First engine test run I found the heater core was cracked and leaking in the passenger’s compartment.

No problem, ripped out the dash, deleted heater control valve, got that fixed up, drove it up and down the driveway a bit and the brakes feel a little draggy. Also it was low on fluid. I topped it off and later found a pool in the driveway. The rear line was broken. No biggie, I’ve replaced brake lines on multiple cars by now. As I am disassembling everything I found the rear brakes (everything) were completely toast. One brake line was dry and its e-brake was seized closed! Both sides had the pads worn to the plates. I chuckled and figured that the previous owner must have driven this thing without rear brakes for quite a while.

Jeff in fine order comes to the rescue and sends me everything needed in trade for a couple service favors. As long as I have the calipers off, I might as well shoot some paint on them. With no masking, virtually no prep work this is not intended to hold up very long, but simply let me see how the future project might look as other parts of the big project start coming together.

$KRILLA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by $KRILLA »

Looking good keep the mods coming.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

$50 Euro Scorpio front bumper nearby for mod mock up or version 2.0:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28935
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

Tidied up fuel and brake lines, adjusted E-brake, oil change, etc. complete. Now that it’s drivable, time to work on the other non-critical stuff. I can not STAND old man tan interiors. Jeff trossed in a black carpet with the deal so off I went. This was not a typical month long interior restoration. This was a 2 week proof of concept interior upgrade. I used cheap paint for most of the plastic, I simply painted the rear leather seats with Duplicoor trim paint, and used black seat covers for the fronts. I do not expect it to hold up for a long time, just long enough to get an idea of my final plans.

Out with the old…

In with the still old, but cleaned and painted. :)
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

The preferable approach:

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

Ed, you forgot the door weatherstrips! Yes Ed, I want all of that. But I am a poor man forced to make due with what I have on hand for now. NEXT Scorpio I will do it right.
$KRILLA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by $KRILLA »

Keep the mods coming . We need some more updates Scorps.
blugg
Level 7
Level 7

Post by blugg »

No tired boring Scorpios come out of MPM. New life pumped into their lungs.

Purist would not be pleased but owners going their own way are.
Jeff
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Seriously Hart-Wrenching saga, indeed.

YMMV ;)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SvoSierra »

Some near perfect shaped holes for Euro side markers. 30 mins and a Dremel involved.

And the first photo showing some REAL progress. XR spoiler with tinted 3rd brake light, 2 tone tinted center panel, Euro tails, all holes plugged, and paint applied. This sucker is TRU BLUE. There is NO tint of purple, it's all in your monitor! :P

$KRILLA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by $KRILLA »

Looking good you put the wheels on yet ?
Spaldino
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Spaldino »

Nice progress... haven't seen it in the light in a while. You could almost put one of those huge fez hat lights on the top of it and it would look like a Michigan State Police car ;)

Also... It just sank in that the rear seats were painted. Holy crap! I thought the interior was black from the factory. I've seen it up close in person and I had no idea those were originally tan.
88 Mono-white XR: Side exhaust, Walbro, MC2 Front Adjustable Coilovers, Rear Bilsteins, Full Poly bushings, MC2 Diff Mount, Rapido intercooler, Some sort of mild cam(?), Rear Disc conversion, 225s on 17x8 wheels.