Project Shell Game Part 302

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Project Shell Game Part 302

Post by GPz11 »

OK, this week, we got the modified crossmember installed. Doing it now saves us time when it we are actually installing the motor back into the car.

Our little group usually all get together on Thursday nights since we started doing it years ago when we all raced motorcycles. Thursday night was maintenance / prep / repair time for the bikes. I raced an RC51 and we endurance raced a SV650.

Anyway, here's some pics of the crossmember compared to the old one and back in the car. Also when you replace a crossmember and leave the suspension in the car, please make sure your head is out of the way of the antisway bar when you pop the last LCA out. It will swing down and hit you in the noggin. OUCH!

I need to get in there and do some cleaning up. That's nasty looking.

Since we were in there and didn't know the age of the pilot bearing, we swapped it out. Using a bearing puller, the bearing itself came right out but we couldn't get the spacer out. After alot of cutting, chiseling and hitting with a hammer, it finally came out. OK, there was some swearing too.

After that was over with, we got the machined flywheel and clutch assembly installed.

And finally the transmission is bolted up to the engine.

My plan / hope is to install the motor in the car next week.
dunhamr1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dunhamr1 »

Looking good! Good luck on the install.
-Ryan Dunham
1989 Merkur XR4Ti - nickname: "SheaXR4"
Daily: 2016 VW Golf R "Matti"
E-Street Autocross car: 2001 Mazda Miata
Old daily: 2003 VW Golf MkIV TDI, 200k+ mi

"Racing is Life. Anything else is just waiting." -Steve McQueen
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

I can't wait to see a video of this nice project running. :popcorn
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Hah, you and me both!!

The plan is to install the motor and transmission tonight.

I shipped out a XR harness this morning to James D. to go with the Mustang harness I've already sent him. He said he should have it done in a few weeks.

I plan to have everything else set up and ready to go for the harness.
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

First thing we handled last night was to repair a stripped out anti sway bar nut. My buddy Dirk stopped by to weld in the replacement nut from John V.

Drilled out the old hole to 3/4"

Cleaned up the body to weld the new nut in place.

Finally welding the nut in place.

So while Dirk was working on the welding part, we got the motor on the crossmember.

And here's the motor installed in the car and we broke for dinner.

We tossed the valve covers on and put the upper intake on with a 3/8" spacer. Have to run the spacer since the valve covers are so tall. There is still about 1 ~ 2" of clearance to the hood.

Last edited by GPz11 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

I see I haven't updated this in a bit.

So after getting the motor in the car, we worked on getting it lined up. After installing the driveshaft to figure out where the motor needed to be, we bolted it in.

Got the headers installed and found out they hit the brake lines & fuel lines.

We had to remove a few of the brake lines to install the header on the drivers side.

So here is where we ended the night at.

When trying to get the oil pressure gauge set up, there was a interference issue between it and the power steering brackets.

This is what I started with

And here is the final product.

Picked up a different set of headers from Tony W. They are Ford racing shorty headers vs the BBK equal length versions. They fit alot better in regards to the brake & fuel lines.

Spent some more time today out in the garage. Installed the headers, bolted the valve covers down, got a longer braided line for the oil pressure gauge, power steering pump bracket and this is where I ended up today.

MercMike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MercMike »

:D this thread !
'85 XR
timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

Nice coil bracket :wink:
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

timxr8 wrote:Nice coil bracket :wink:
Why, yes it is and thank you very much!
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Tonight's progress is as follows, fuel system completed, heater hoses closer to completion but need more silicone elbows.

Also have 2" of clearance between radiator and motor so no fans will fit in between them. Looking at putting new big ass fan in front of condenser to replace ancient big ass fan. Maybe totally remove condenser for this summer and worry about AC next winter.

OK, we found a 1.5" thick fan but I really don't want to spend $450 for it.

http://www.the-fan-man.com/…/side-winde ... -p-176.htm

Clutch cable installed and adjusted, also new ground cable installed.

Test fitted BBK H pipe from a Mustang but no go. Passenger side would work but not driver's side. It was a shot in the dark.

James said my harness should arrive today also so that's some great news!

GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

And this appeared on the doorstep Friday afternoon.

A care package from James D. Converted Mustang harness to work in a XR and he moved over the AC wiring also

timxr8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by timxr8 »

When I did mine, I used a dual in/dual out muffler to double as the x-pipe. Worked really well. I prefer Magnaflow, but everybody makes one.
Tim Spencer
1988 XR4Ti Duratec project car
2011 Taurus SHO daily driver...not stock.
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

I actually already have a Magnaflow muffler like you mentioned and twin tail pipes from Stinger Performance. Shannon special ordered it for me since he normally doesn't stock them.

Today I also shipped my cluster out to Tim K. to convert the tach over to 8 cylinder from 4.
espacef1fan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by espacef1fan »

Cant wait to see this thing done!
Adam Escott
Dothan, AL
89 XR with Outcast Body in red
Duratec build in progress(need cams and stand-alone)
89 Scorpio. Needs everything :haha
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Ok, Thursday night's progress is as follows, heater hoses finished up along with upper radiator hose. Just need to install all of the hose clamps.

Power steering pulley installed and figured out the belt I got is too short. I'll got a couple from the parts store and figure it out.

We also figured out that there isn't enough room to put a fan between the radiator and the engine. I bought a Spal 2" thick fan and it doesn't fit anywhere in there. So I'll order up a pair of Silicone Intake 12" fans to go on the front of the radiator.

Figuring out the AC will be next winters project.

Also removed the starter solenoid of the fender and installed a remote battery stud from Speedway motors. Got the alternator wiring cleaned up and installed too.

Yesterday, my buddy Graham came over to get some more things done on the car. I was chatting with Edward Stanley on Friday about the fan clearance and he mentioned moving the radiator to where the condenser is located.

So we tried to move the rad forward but the headlights are in the way. However, it would move about halfway in between. Got the holes drilled and found out the rivnut tool of Graham's was made for aluminum rivnuts and not the steel ones we had. So the correct tool is on order from Amazon. Hopefully will arrive by Thursday's shop night.

We also removed the excess portion off the nose of the water pump.

So between moving the radiator forward and trimming the nose off the water pump, we just have enough room for the fan.

I also got the speed sensor and speedo cable installed. Had to drill a hole in the crossmember for the cable to pass thru.