Project Shell Game Part 302

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Project Shell Game Part 302

Post by GPz11 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:22 pm

Here are the new mounting holes for the radiator. It moved it forward about 1.5" and are not running the isolaters at the top so that got us about an inch or so there.

16" Spal fan installed

Completely installed picture. We've got about an inch or so of clearance.

Other things done include installed the serpentine belt, wired up the alternator warning light, installed the cover that goes over the clutch cable / fork. Also got the power steering hoses connected up so no more puddles of ATF on the floor.

I should be picking up the distributor in the morning with it's new gear installed. I got it used and the old gear was trashed.

GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:51 am

This weekend's progress is as follows:

Picked up distributor from machine shop with new gear installed.

Got the extra extra ports on the radiator plugged and one of them is now the drain. From looking at the picture, might rotate it up a bit.

Also finally started on the harness install. Got a few ground wires to attach and figured out I put a water temp sensor where a air temp sensor needs to be. I've got a new one on order along with a distributer hold down. Should be here on Wednesday. The last bits for the lower rad hose will arrive today from Pegasus. That will complete the cooling system other than wiring in the fan.

Trying to find a smaller battery for the stock location since more crap has to all reside in the same space. In a Mustang, the battery is located by the drivers front. Moving the battery to the back of the car will happen over the winter along with AC. I need to get this up and running. Taking up space in the garage that belongs to the motorcycles in the summer.

GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:22 pm

Getting things up to date.

Tried to get the engine harness to connect to the body harness but it seems the '85 has different plugs than later model harness's.

This was the missing plug.

Luckily Tony W had a extra harness laying around so with James Deberry's help on telling me what wires go where, I was able to get the harnesses connected up.

Was able to get the distributor, plugs, and spark plug wires installed.

Tried to make sure the fuel pump was priming but nothing was happening when I turned the ignition on. Working with James, we figured out I didn't have some wires connected up correctly but still no pump.

I removed the relay and jumped the pump at the fuse box and it kicked on just fine. After playing with it for a little while longer, we called it a night.

A buddy who is really good with wiring stopped over and working with James, they found another missing plug based on the '85 body harness. So hopefully tomorrow we'll get thing working correctly.

I've had to order 6.5" long bolts for the upper intake and spacer so they should be in soon.

GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 » Fri May 06, 2016 1:57 pm

So after a few attempts with getting the correct bolts from Mcmaster, I finally got what was needed. Luckily I live near them and was able to drive over and get them. Also returned the ones they originally sent out but didn't match their drawings.

I finally got home from traveling on Wednesday night and figured I'd bolt the upper intake. How hard can that be right? Well, evidently harder than I thought as I cracked both ears on the upper. I have a factory Mustang service manual and used the correct torque specs. Didn't matter in the end as this happened,

Yup, nice welcome home present. So after liking my wounds for a bit, I knew I'd be driving right past the U-Pull it yard the next day. So I charged up my little impact gun and loaded up some tools.

After searching the yard for a while lugging my heavy tool, I make it to the very last row and there it is, a Explorer with a 302 and an intake still.

About 20 minutes later, I had this.

and an hour or so later, we had this.

which lead to this,

https://www.facebook.com/10000457060901 ... 686572246/

Need to find a XR IAC with the straight connector on it to clear the oil fill, bleed the brakes, put the interior back together, wire up the cooling fan, get an exhaust, etc etc.

However, it started up and made noise. That's a huge milestone. I'm hoping a couple more weeks will have it on the streets.

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray » Sat May 07, 2016 9:16 am

Awesome progress! I wonder what cracked the ears on the manifold? You could probably TIG those back together.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com

GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 » Sat May 07, 2016 10:06 am

It's not worth the trouble of welding it back together. Both are from the junk yard so combined, I've got $65 in them.

I've already removed the "new" one and will clean it up today.

GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:46 pm

Well, it's been a month since I've updated this.

Not too happy at the moment with the car. Been having issues with the ECU.

Ya might say it's running a bit rich.

We tried to chip the ECU but we had problems trying to get the chip to talk. By now I've had enough of dealing with the trying to get a working ECU so this was ordered yesterday.

http://www.efisource.com/shop/microsqui ... 0-mustang/

It was also treated to a day at the exhaust shop so yes, I'm officially broke now.

GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:49 pm

Oh, I got a nice little package from Australia.

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:11 am

Oh, that's gotta sound amazing.

Regarding the tune - are you sure it's the chip? Sometimes if the front o2 sensor fails the car goes into a panic mode and just dumps ALL THE FUEL.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com

GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:42 am

We never got the car to move with the chip installed so that was just on the A9L ECU. Have to admit when Tony inspected the ECU after trying to get the chip to work, he found a bad capicitor.