Project Shell Game Part 302

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Project Shell Game Part 302

Post by GPz11 »

Well, I'm doing some updates to my car.

Here is the original build thread for it.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=25754

I'm getting rid of the 2.3 and going over to a 302.

I'm using James Deberry's install kit and wiring harness conversion services to install it.

Tony W and I took a trip up to Wisconsin and picked up a complete '93 T-bird engine and auto trans. I sold off the trans for $100 so that knocked the price of the dressed engine down to $200.

Tony also had alot of parts in his garage from a previous build that never left the ground. Evidently a different buddy was having Tony build a motor for his '93 Mustang but life got in the way.

So from that build I was able to pick up a prepped block, crank, and main journal girdle.

There was also some shiny ported cylinder heads in the somewhere too.

Along with a bunch of other various bits.

I also picked up some BBK headers too from C-list.

Also took a trip to the junk yard and got a Explorer intake

I also purchased new connecting rods and coated pistons. I do have to say prices for 302 parts are ALOT cheaper than 2.3 bits.

Currently the motor is in pieces. The crank, pistons & rods, flywheel, and harmonic balancer have all been balanced.
Last edited by GPz11 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Project Shell Game Part 302

Post by GPz11 »

I've got no idea why some pics are big and some are small. Weird.

Here is a pic of the modified crossmember with the new mounts.

Oh, I also got the matching intake that goes to the ported heads. Quite the difference between the stock intake vs. the ported one.

I was able to pick up a V8 T5 off TurboFord and that was sent out to be rebuilt. It's now got a steel bearing retainer and the updated syncro's.
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Got a bit more done to the engine. Was able to get the lower intake painted and baked.

Also got the pistons installed and am checking the oil pick up clearance here with some floral foam from my wife. Need to tweak it some since the gap is too large.

Tossed in the lifters in a bath of oil.

Next step is to make sure the oil pan clears the crossmember.
catapultkid
Level 5
Level 5

Post by catapultkid »

Looking good. Please keep us updated
-Paul
'85 Merkur XR4Ti
K20, VW mk2
'89 K2500, 6.0 swap
'00 Honda Insight
foundnemo25
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foundnemo25 »

Nice build, where did you get the engine mounts from?
Its not what you build, its how you build it.
1988 Merkur XR4TI 393W Turbo Setup
1986 Merkur XR4TI Stock wife's little beater
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

foundnemo25 wrote:Nice build, where did you get the engine mounts from?
James Deberry merkwerke@aol.com

He is also making a custom harness for me. Combining a fox body engine harness with a XR4Ti harness so it is a bolt in.
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Got the heads apart to clean them up from having a port job done many years ago. Found the valve seats had some nicks in them so off to get them cleaned up.

GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Quick update from the machine shop on my heads, someone installed a .100" shorter intake valve, a few of the guides and bad and the need to be decked. They are waiting on parts to finish them.

I also got the short block finished up.

I've also ordered up a 70mm throttle body and EGR delete plate, and a used 10P15C AC compressor.

My new deadline for getting this swap completed is April to head down to the Mitty at Road Atlanta since this years featured brand is Ford.
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

OK, it's been awhile since I've updated this.

So $450 later, my heads are back in good shape. 1 new valve, deck them, new seals, 2 valve guides and a valve job. Installed them with OEM Explorer head gaskets and ARP studs.

Got the roller rockers installed and the intake manifold also with ARP studs.

Picked up this Z-spec T5 from Tony Whitlow after some horse trading.

Been working with Brian Hart (SvoSierra) on the AC side of things. He found out a compressor from a early 90's Tempo fits the Mustang brackets with some 1" spacers. With some work, we think a Scorpio manifold will fit. Probably going to have to remove one of the mounting bosses for clearance. It'll have 3 others mounting bosses so it should be fine.

New valve covers have been ordered up since the old ones will not clear the rockers and were too plain. Hope to be pulling the old engine and trans very soon and start cleaning up the engine bay.

Also waiting on the wiring harness and clutch quadrant from James Deberry. I hope to get those parts soon.
In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 »

Looks very nice. :cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

Stopped at my local speed shop and picked up 5 qts of break in oil and a oil pump primer. With a good size drill, we got 55 PSI.

Valve covers arrived.

Noticed on the distributor that I picked up off Craigslist, that the gear is pretty worn so I picked up a replacement. Still gotta install it.

Also got a Explorer fuel rail so the fuel lines would be near the stock location in the engine bay. Didn't like the 15+ year old plastic lines so we got them replaced.

My hope is to pull the old engine this week. Borrowed a cherry picker from work to lift the body up while we drop the engine out the bottom.
MercMike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MercMike »

Really enjoy this mission ... on FB too !
'85 XR
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

Are you using SN95 or explorer front dress?
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

I guess you'd say MN12 front accessories since they came off a Tbird but same as SN95.
GPz11
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GPz11 »

OK, getting this thread up to date.

We've pulled the old motor and trans. We've learned to remove the engine out of the bottom of the car. Put the front &rear of the car on jack stands, disconnect everything as needed, put a jack / furniture dolly under the engine and a jack under the trans. You then hook the cherry picker to the bumper and lift the car.

And Bob's your uncle!

Anyone need a good short block or ported head? Trans is already spoken for.

I also spent yesterday afternoon removing the old engine harness. I'm going to use the Ford Racing harness and work the stock AC wiring back in from another harness.