Rally XR4Ti build

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
m2motorsport

Rally XR4Ti build

Post by m2motorsport »

Welcome to my XR4Ti build thread. Having cut my teeth as a Ford mechanic in the UK working on Sierras way back in the 80’s and having owned one it isn’t a daunting task getting stuck into this one.
I will be posting a couple of pictures as I go along.
This is a 3-4 previous owner 1985 car, originally sold in Edmonton Alberta in late ’85. For the last 7 years it has been garaged and un-driven so a nice layer of dust and very little rust was found when I saw it. I picked it up from Kijiji as a “project car” for the princely sum of $550 Cdn, included in this vast expense were a brand new clutch kit, a steering rack, spare prop shaft, fuel tank with pump and 2 ecu’s. Not a bad haul.
It does have 220,000 Km/ 136,000 miles on it, however the inside and majority of the outside don’t look like it, it does have the small rust spot on the spare wheel well, as well as around the door moulding mounting holes. Nothing that a welder and a bit of tin can’t fix.
As it was never a Cosworth I will not be putting a whale tail or RS500 bottom spoiler, neither will I be cutting out the rear quarter panel to make it look like a 3 door. I’m not knocking those that do, however it’s not my thing, it is and always will be an XR4Ti. I will be turning this into an Open 2wd rally car to compete in the Canadian National Rally Championship so it won’t be a pretty as most but better that it is at the moment.
The plan is to use a bunch of tried and tested Sierra go fast bits from Blighty as well as a few upgrades I have seen here, mostly in the area of restricted supply consumables. Like moving to late Focus rear calipers, the GM lsd conversion for the 7.5, and putting in an hydraulic clutch instead of that stupid quadrant, which the rest of the workshop and I agreed in 80’s that it was stupid!
I had a spare 4 hours to spend the other day so did a little stripping of the interior. All the seats and carpet have been removed as well as the unneeded brackets. Most of the loom has been pulled out as well as the spare wiring that is not needed; radio, aerial, rear wash wipe, central locking, and the electric windows. Next to get rid of the sound deadening crud and fill the sunroof hole. Then on to removing the AC unit, and plating the hole in the bulkhead left by it.

ImageXr4ti by Matt Pullen, on Flickr
ImageXR2 by Matt Pullen, on Flickr
ImageXR6 by Matt Pullen, on Flickr
ImageXR7 by Matt Pullen, on Flickr
Last edited by m2motorsport on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Ranger Rally Truck
1986 XR4Ti soon to be rally car.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Rally XR4Ti build

Post by merkurdriver »

Take your image address :

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5566/3049 ... dc5a_z.jpg

and put Image
behind and it will show up like this:

m2motorsport

Post by m2motorsport »

That's what I did, I used the img button and followed the sticky...
2003 Ranger Rally Truck
m2motorsport

Post by m2motorsport »

Fixed it!
2003 Ranger Rally Truck
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

m2motorsport wrote:Fixed it!
:cheers
yep, you got it!

looks like a bargain for $550 Cdn
m2motorsport

Post by m2motorsport »

merkurdriver wrote:
m2motorsport wrote:Fixed it!
:cheers
yep, you got it!

looks like a bargain for $550 Cdn
It gets even better, I forgot I have a set of original 14's with it as well. Looks like the previous owners had taken good care of it, even the AC was still fully gassed...
2003 Ranger Rally Truck
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Any updates on this project? :?:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
m2motorsport

Post by m2motorsport »

John Brennan wrote:Any updates on this project? :?:
Yes Sorry have been busy earning the cash to move forward!!!
So the car is having an FIA T45 cage fitted as I type.
I had a bit of a win win day yesterday.
I was told of an ad on Kijiji that had an XR4Ti for sale with spares for the princely sum of $350.
Well I met up with the seller, as I only had $20's on me I gave him the option of $340 or $360 the lad opted for $340.
Sweet I thought $10 up already.
"Hold on" he said "you'll want these bits as well", hands over a Cosworth rad/intercooler combo one of those heavy ones not the cheap Chinese knock offs, SCORE....
"Wait" I heard again and he promptly hands over a Stinger manifold and 38 mm BOV, never been used, never even been fitted to a car..
Trying to hide the inner kid in a candy store I place them in the truck ready to go load the car up.
"Do you want to know about the new Turbo?" chirped up the lad.... Wait, new what? "Yeah it has a T3/T4 ball bearing Hybrid I put on it and a new clutch in a box inside the shed if you want that as well. Oh and by the way the XR is a 2 owner 151k km car"
Result.......

So it is progressing, next on the list are the Rieger 3 way coil-overs, a Type 9 hydraulic clutch conversion kit and adjustable pedal box, Wilwood 4 pots all round, adjustable TCA's.
EvoCorse in Italy are making me some 15x7 Gravel wheels with an ET23 offset, not so expensive as I first thought.
2003 Ranger Rally Truck
Kernow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kernow »

Nice score
I to worked in England at a Ford dealership I Remember doing pdi's on the xr4 when they first came out
m2motorsport

Post by m2motorsport »

Kernow wrote:Nice score
I to worked in England at a Ford dealership I Remember doing pdi's on the xr4 when they first came out
Me too a little retail dealership in Surrey!
2003 Ranger Rally Truck
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Sounds like you've been blessed by the Turbo Ford Gods... well done! :cheers

I was introduced to the car by winning one in a drawing at the Del Mar IMSA race in 1988 (well, my wife did). 'Been on the roller coaster pretty much ever since.

Looking forward to more, thanks for checking in! :headbang
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

$340 well spent :cheers
m2motorsport

Post by m2motorsport »

So been a little busy with work, that and the fact the cage supplier may have neglected to have included 11 very necessary components of the roll cage has led to some delays, in fact still waiting for a new cage to turn up!
However all is not lost, the AIM MXL dash and GPS speedo bits are here. The Summit Technologies wireless steering wheel controls arrived, at the same time I acquired a Talon (Summit) solid state control pad to go with it. The ATL bag tank is on its way as is the Radium FCST to go in it. Tilton are supplying the on floor peddle box, at the same time I've done away with the cable clutch and changed it to an hydraulic system, no more dead quadrants for this guy. Fedex turned up this morning with some Evo Corse wheels and adjustable TCA's, looks like I will be a busy lad for a few weeks, I have been offered a motorsport roller shell with all the bits in boxes for silly money, so I will finding a storage place for that as well as all the other growing stockpiles! I will post pics as soon as Flickr unlocks my account! EDIT Flickr unlocked...
2003 Ranger Rally Truck
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

How'd you get all that sound deadening crap out? Looks like you got most of the adhesive... use a solvent, or just elbow grease?
m2motorsport

Post by m2motorsport »

Dry ice and isopropyl alcohol did the trick.
2003 Ranger Rally Truck