Another XR racer build

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
Chris_12
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Another XR racer build

Post by Chris_12 »

The RS wing will not fit an 88 hatch. So, I will need to get an early hatch, but that's a future me problem.
'89 Merkur XR4Ti Racecar-The Beast
'88 Merkur XR4Ti-The Build
'87 Merkur XR4Ti-The Beauty
Always looking for a '85 Merkur XR4TI (blue preferably) for my dad
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matt01 »

Chris_12 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:09 pm The RS wing will not fit an 88 hatch. So, I will need to get an early hatch, but that's a future me problem.
an OEM whale tail WILL fit on an 89 hatch. If you really want it to. the brackets basically sit on the rubber gasket for the window, and have enough room to run a few small bolts through the hatch to bolt it down. A keen merkurite WILL notice that its sitting slightly over the window, but really it still looks pretty good.

I dont know if a repro would work, but I have a feeling it would.

To answer your second question, a RS500 lower spoiler does cover up almost all the holes. theres only 2 that are left exposed from the stupid 89 spoiler.

Dont bother with PBR brakes, its not race car at all, those calipers are horrible, they are adequate, but imho probably not even much better than the oem calipers. they have freakin plastic pistons.. Come on Ford, really?
Chris_12
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chris_12 »

Thanks. The wing hangs over the edge of the hatch more than the window. I will have to take another look. It is FG so I could shave it down. I didn't go for the PBRs. I got Willwood Superlites instead.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Having tracked both, you can't even assert the stock ATE brakes are anywhere near the performance of the common PBR upgrade. The phenolic pistons aren't exceptionally durable, but braking power, fade resistance, and feel are all much better with the upgrade not to mention availability of actually good rotors and pads which simply don't exist for stock brakes. Does the PBR upgrade stack up to a "real" solution like Wilwood? No, but it's a solid budget improvement.
kiwimanz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kiwimanz »

I've run a number of race cars with Wilwoods and I can attest they aren't the top of the heap by any stretch!
You want good, go with AP or Performance Friction. You will pay more but awesome brakes. Also don't forget a decent fluid. I have run AP600 for years and it works great and boiling point is...as it says 600 deg. I'm sure there is better but for SCCA stuff it's fine.

Linz
Chris_12
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chris_12 »

Well, after some time, I got some progress. New wheels, 4 discs, no AC, custom intake and intercooler nearly hooked up. Good news is that the Brake MC is not bad, but I got a clog somewhere.

Next up: 28mm and 14mm sway bars and coilovers. Just need to figure where and what type. I know MC2Racing is a source for front ones.
Chris_12
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chris_12 »

Just bought some Gaz Gold coilovers so hopefully in a few weeks, they will be installed. Still looking for sway bars. I may dial back the build because of my recent purchase.Image
Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Esteban »

Nice to see you went with the Gaz golds
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

ooh! You bought a proper toy!

I'd say pics & YouTube videos are needed :)
Chris_12 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:25 pm Just bought some Gaz Gold coilovers so hopefully in a few weeks, they will be installed. Still looking for sway bars. I may dial back the build because of my recent purchase.Image
1987 Merkur XR4Ti. T5 swapped. GAZ gold coilovers. Custom rear strut brace. Polybushed everything. Mustang ten hole wheels. Mercury Tracer front bumper.
Chris_12
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chris_12 »

of course... track day in 2 weeks.
https://youtu.be/bYNZDiNwKGw
nathankershaw
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nathankershaw »

That was no reveal!

Just noise!...I like it :)
Chris_12 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:32 pm of course... track day in 2 weeks.
https://youtu.be/bYNZDiNwKGw
1987 Merkur XR4Ti. T5 swapped. GAZ gold coilovers. Custom rear strut brace. Polybushed everything. Mustang ten hole wheels. Mercury Tracer front bumper.
Chris_12
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chris_12 »

It has been a busy few weeks, but my 88 got some new Gaz Gold coilsovers:

My most recent transaction got to go around the track. Only broke a catch can (not really sure how). I still looking for a good replacement for the summit racing one.
https://youtu.be/pcsr8Abl1P8?t=2m25s

Need to find a replacement for this: