First Pix of the car

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
GT350RS

First Pix of the car

Post by GT350RS »

I'll post some interior shots shortly...

Pic of the car with my RS

With the new wheels and fitment (the adapters here are 25mm. It looks great, but too wide for my comfort level. I have thinner ones (15mm) on the way that should look good but also be better for the hub (got the proper 63.4mm CB)
Attachments
XR1.jpg
XR1.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 7060 times
XR2.jpg
XR2.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 7060 times
XR3.jpg
XR3.jpg (519.54 KiB) Viewed 10059 times
'87 XR4Ti - Blue Grey Metallic - Moonroof - All Original - 98K mi
'16 GT350 - Triple Yellow - Black OTS - Lund Tuned
'17 Focus RS - Stealth Grey - FR Tuned
'05 S2000 - Suzuka Blue - All Original - 34k mi
'02 A4 3.0 Quattro - Light Silver - All Original - 68K mi
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: First Pix of the car

Post by merkurdriver »

Good looking car! Rare color, one year only 1987
I noticed some of the small dings on the drivers side and realized that car used to be mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5owORb1ro0Y
GT350RS

Post by GT350RS »

merkurdriver wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:15 pm Good looking car! Rare color, one year only 1987
I noticed some of the small dings on the drivers side and realized that car used to be mine:
Wow, really? That's really interesting...Do you remember the gent who bought it?

If that's the case this car hasn't seen many miles in the last two years...It runs great, do you recall any service history on it?

It has some of that lovely Ohio rust underneath, but very clean for the most part, I was really surprised by the interior being as clean as it is for not having tint or being garaged but seeing your vid it makes sense, being garaged all that time. Sad to say the paint has taken a hit in that time, looks like some fading and there is some overspray (white) on the passenger side rear quarter. I cut in some compound followed by a polish and then a wax about a month ago, but it needs more work. Once we get the surface rust I think we're going to wrap it before getting it repainted completely.
'87 XR4Ti - Blue Grey Metallic - Moonroof - All Original - 98K mi
'16 GT350 - Triple Yellow - Black OTS - Lund Tuned
'17 Focus RS - Stealth Grey - FR Tuned
'05 S2000 - Suzuka Blue - All Original - 34k mi
'02 A4 3.0 Quattro - Light Silver - All Original - 68K mi
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

Looks nice.

Where in Ohio?

AND...what is a collector tag? I knew only historical and regular.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Longitudinal wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:08 pm
Where in Ohio?

Akron area, highly concentrated Merkur Mecca.

The Ohio historical plates need 25 years, but when the cars were younger than 25 years you could get collector plates if the cars were on a pre-determined list by the Ohio DMW / BMV. They were not on the list at the time but I was able to send the production figures from Kharmann along with some other documentation and get the XR4Ti on the "approved" list for collector plates due to a low production vehicle. A bit of work and red tape but once it was on the list anyone in Ohio could now get collector plates.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

GT350RS wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:26 pm
Wow, really? That's really interesting...Do you remember the gent who bought it?

If that's the case this car hasn't seen many miles in the last two years...It runs great, do you recall any service history on it?
When I sold it I believe it went to either North or South Carolina. Never met the new buyer, just loaded it up on a transporter's trailer.

Service history... When I purchased the car in 2015, it had expired plates on it from 2002 and had been in storage for over a decade. So nothing had been done to the car at all 2002-2014. In 2015 I changed the fluids, new battery, and replaced (both) broken fog lights. That is the only information I can offer.
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

merkurdriver wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:05 pm
Longitudinal wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:08 pm
Where in Ohio?

Akron area, highly concentrated Merkur Mecca.

The Ohio historical plates need 25 years, but when the cars were younger than 25 years you could get collector plates if the cars were on a pre-determined list by the Ohio DMW / BMV. They were not on the list at the time but I was able to send the production figures from Kharmann along with some other documentation and get the XR4Ti on the "approved" list for collector plates due to a low production vehicle. A bit of work and red tape but once it was on the list anyone in Ohio could now get collector plates.
And less restriction on use? I read that the applicant must have proof of other transportation, but what does that mean in terms of use for the vehicle? It looks like the plate is $25. I assume that is per year rather than per 50 years like historical.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Longitudinal wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 pm And less restriction on use? I read that the applicant must have proof of other transportation, but what does that mean in terms of use for the vehicle? It looks like the plate is $25. I assume that is per year rather than per 50 years like historical.
You need to have another car plated as your "daily driver" to get a collector plate on anything else. Collector plate use of the vehicle is sort of a grey area, but its nowhere as restrictive as historical plates where you are only supposed to drive to a car show and home on.
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

merkurdriver wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:16 pm
Longitudinal wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 pm And less restriction on use? I read that the applicant must have proof of other transportation, but what does that mean in terms of use for the vehicle? It looks like the plate is $25. I assume that is per year rather than per 50 years like historical.
You need to have another car plated as your "daily driver" to get a collector plate on anything else. Collector plate use of the vehicle is sort of a grey area, but its nowhere as restrictive as historical plates where you are only supposed to drive to a car show and home on.
Specifically, CAR?
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Longitudinal wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:45 am Specifically, CAR?
VEHICLE
Longitudinal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Longitudinal »

I have a scooter, which is a motorcycle. People ride motorcycles daily.
monti75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by monti75 »

[/quote]

wooow... super nice
need to find me one like this