Scorpio - Still Running - Having the Faith

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Scorpio - Still Running - Having the Faith

Post by Bob Weir »

The "Burgundy Bitch" hasn't been on the road for more than 1-1/2 yrs, but I still keep her just in case another car in the family fleet is down for an extender repair. It's about 30º outside so I thought wtf, see if she'll start [with a junk yard battery]. Yep, still idling and moving D-R. Gotta thank my main maniac "Col" aka "wife" for helping me R&R the engine & understanding my Merkur affliction.

Yes, it's still for sale or trade for an XR.

Have a Happy Holiday and remember "Merkurism" is an incurable affliction you'll always have.

Bob
MCA Membership Coordinator

PS Ok, so the idle is a little rough, gimme a break, its COLD outside ;)
Scorpio Ideling.jpg
(1.9 MiB) Not downloaded yet
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Scorpio - Still Running - Having the Faith

Post by brokencase »

It's not an affliction and there was no doubt that it would start and idle. How's that for a statement of faith?

Hard to believe the Scorpio is 30 years old now. I've been driving mine to work almost every day for the past two years.
Of course I was lucky to come across a well maintained survivor. I think I might get a few more years out of it.

What are all these people buying new cars for anyhow? Don't they realize all the damage to the environment it takes just to BUILD a new car?

I'm not against new and improved vehicles. But I think too many go prematurely to the junk yard.

The general population is in a disposable mindset and lacks the skills to service and maintain...and there are not enough mechanics to salvage what gets tossed aside.
Specialization is for Insects
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Your profile indicates you're interested in "British Cars". R u interested in this carb adjuster? $5.00 + USPS. It's been a long long time since I had my Healey 3L and had to use it.
Although the Scorpio is "always 4-sale" and whatever Merkur I acquire after my wife & I r gone, my daughters will wonder "what should we do with mom & dad's Merkurisms"?
IMG_0045.jpg
IMG_0045.jpg (487.5 KiB) Viewed 6138 times
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Got one of those; use it for balancing carbs on my Corvairs, and motorcycles.

Did you also use it on those '67/68 APCs in Nam...?

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

I had one for my dual-Weber Type 1 VW engines-- it was called a Uni-Syn.
Good times...
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Sorry Bob. I used to use a unisyn. But now I synch the Sprites SU's with a hose and my ear.
Specialization is for Insects
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Bob Weir wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:45 pm The "Burgundy Bitch" hasn't been on the road for more than 1-1/2 yrs, but I still keep her just in case another car in the family fleet is down for an extender repair. It's about 30º outside so I thought wtf, see if she'll start [with a junk yard battery]. Yep, still idling and moving D-R. Gotta thank my main maniac "Col" aka "wife" for helping me R&R the engine & understanding my Merkur affliction.

Yes, it's still for sale or trade for an XR.

Have a Happy Holiday and remember "Merkurism" is an incurable affliction you'll always have.

Bob
MCA Membership Coordinator

PS Ok, so the idle is a little rough, gimme a break, its COLD outside ;)
Scorpio Ideling.jpg
Would have been cheaper and easier than the route I went, but now I've gone too far down the rabbit hole. Still holding out hope to have it running this winter.....
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
Bob Weir
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Bob Weir »

Hi David

It's crazy how my first Scorpio only needed a trans from a donor and a basic tune up. My daughter drove it for 5 years; one in high school and four in college traveling an hour every weekend from Philadelphia to Allentown. Jeff Herson drove it to Chicago! The Burgundy Bitch has been another story. The major expense came from me driving back from Carlisle with a cracked head that destroyed the cam bearings. Shortly after I swapped engines and heads, the tranny wasn't going into OD and shortly after, the replaced windshield cracked. Of course there was the white one that did everything correctly and I sold it rather than the Burgundy one. "What was I thinking?"

But I can go out in -30ºF and it'll start, make heat and scoot around the neighboorhood.I feel it's telling me to R&R the trans & go to Carlisle...

Merkurizms prevail