Xr4ti Supra diff swap with Anembo Kit

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
Foremi

Xr4ti Supra diff swap with Anembo Kit

Post by Foremi »

Below is photos and parts used for my conversion from the factory diff in my manual xr4ti to a mk3 supra 3.91 lsd diff. I had already done a t5 swap as well, but the Anembo kit includes a flange adapter that should work with the original xr4 prop shaft if you still have it.

Parts used
Anembo Engineering Supra swap kit - LINK
Neapco N2-2-799-1 diff flange
Ford F6ZZ-4841-BA slip yoke
Ford 47.5in prop shaft, pretty sure from a ranger or aerostar, not certain.
If you want to use the common mustang t5 swap shaft you can get a toyota to 1350 pattern adapter from driftmotion - LINK

Install went pretty easy. I had to modify the hole for the diff breather a bit and clearance the fins on the diff cover for the adapter. I was able to use a factory style diff mount with all 4 bolts, but had to remove the washers from the "front" bolts because of room. I have driven the car around the block, but unfortunately due to Michigan winters have not been able to properly test for driveshaft vibrations yet so I will update when I can say for sure how that stands. When I had the stock diff with a mustang prop shaft going to my t5 I had it nearly perfect so the goal is to get it to that point if its different.

The conversion kit

1988 Xr4ti - Microsquirt ECU, Supra 3.91 LSD Diff, T5 w/z ratios, Precision 5031re T3/T4, all the usual stuff...
Daily - 2018 Colorado Zr2 Duramax
Foremi

Re: Xr4ti Supra diff swap with Anembo Kit

Post by Foremi »

Reserved
1988 Xr4ti - Microsquirt ECU, Supra 3.91 LSD Diff, T5 w/z ratios, Precision 5031re T3/T4, all the usual stuff...
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

Cool. I'm surprised that there's even any supra drivetrain parts left out there. Ya know, with all the swaps into just about everything that exists.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Nice. Looks like very well produced components, even better when you don't have to do a lot of extra fitting to make it work. Just curious, did the Supra LSD's come with other stock ratios, or only the 3.91? How'd you check the diff, or did it come out of a running car?
Foremi

Post by Foremi »

john keefe wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:40 pm Nice. Looks like very well produced components, even better when you don't have to do a lot of extra fitting to make it work. Just curious, did the Supra LSD's come with other stock ratios, or only the 3.91? How'd you check the diff, or did it come out of a running car?
I was involved with rebuilding the diff and know where it came from. I think the clutch style lsd diffs came with other ratios but you can also relatively cheaply get a bunch of different ratios for these diffs as well.

Mine also has the weir solid pinion spacer and lsd max grip kit 1 to increase pressure in the clutch pack in the diff.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

john keefe wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:40 pm Nice. Looks like very well produced components, even better when you don't have to do a lot of extra fitting to make it work. Just curious, did the Supra LSD's come with other stock ratios, or only the 3.91? How'd you check the diff, or did it come out of a running car?
There are 3.7, 3.9, 4.1 and 4.3 that I am aware of.
Turbo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Turbo »

Awesome! Thanks for posting.

Where'd you get the upper diff mount?
'86 Merkur XR4TI
'05 SRT-4
'08 Hemi Ram
Foremi

Post by Foremi »

Turbo wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:13 pm Awesome! Thanks for posting.

Where'd you get the upper diff mount?
It is also from anembo engineering though it was installed roughly a year ago.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Looks good ! :cheers
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Thanks for sharing this on here. Makes me sorta wish I hadn't sold my Supra 8.0's!
Brad
Turbo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Turbo »

I ordered the kit from Anembo Engineering and after about 4 1/2 months of waiting with broken ETA dates I had to make a claim through PayPal.
They refunded my money and they seem like nice gentlemen but they just couldn't deliver... shame.
'86 Merkur XR4TI
'05 SRT-4
'08 Hemi Ram
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Turbo wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:52 pm I ordered the kit from Anembo Engineering and after about 4 1/2 months of waiting with broken ETA dates I had to make a claim through PayPal.
They refunded my money and they seem like nice gentlemen but they just couldn't deliver... shame.
Wow, that really sucks to hear...Definitely doesn't help on pushing a few of us over the edge to bite the bullet and try to order one.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Turbo wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:52 pm I ordered the kit from Anembo Engineering and after about 4 1/2 months of waiting with broken ETA dates I had to make a claim through PayPal.
Very unfortunate. Did they maintain communication but fail to deliver a refund when requested?
Brad
Turbo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Turbo »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:10 pm Very unfortunate. Did they maintain communication but fail to deliver a refund when requested?
They did maintain communications and I didn't really ask them for a refund, but PayPal has a 6 month limit on claims which caused me to get extra nervous, so I filed the claim through PayPal and Anembo refunded it pretty quick.
'86 Merkur XR4TI
'05 SRT-4
'08 Hemi Ram
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Turbo wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:12 pm
DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:10 pm Very unfortunate. Did they maintain communication but fail to deliver a refund when requested?
They did maintain communications and I didn't really ask them for a refund, but PayPal has a 6 month limit on claims which caused me to get extra nervous, so I filed the claim through PayPal and Anembo refunded it pretty quick.
That sucks, taking that long though? Were they trying to make it from melting pop cans? Seems strange, or they simply just didn't want to deal with an American...???