3d models for components of XR4ti and Scorpio

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

3d models for components of XR4ti and Scorpio

Post by brokencase »

While at Carlisle this year I had the opportunity to talk to several folks under the club tent. Those who partaked in my "field expedient" fruit salad know who you are. I must add that is was an absolute fabulous gathering. The coming together of like minds!

The subject of 3d printing came up and one gentleman mentioned that there was one part on the XR4ti that stood out in his mind as a worthwhile 3d printing project...This would be the overhead light bezel. He indicated that just about all of them are cracked/broken.

Now...I have been involved with 3d printing both professionally and as a hobby for the past 6 years. I have posted several Scorpio related 3d models up on thingiverse.com as discussed here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=38881

In addition, I have several "reverse engineering" capabilities now at my disposal. Laser 3d scanner and CMM arm..etc.

My goal is not necessarily to produce these items, but to achieve a decent 3d model that anyone can download. My assumption is that, over time, 3d printing will become more ubiquitous and soon anyone will not find it difficult to have an actual part made. Either by FDM or SLA.

But here is the deal. If someone can send me a xr4ti overhead bezel (complete or all the broken pieces that make complete) then as reward I will utilize the following method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRLJ4ylGTFc to make them a replacement bezel. The model thus created will be posted on thingiverse.com

The goal here is to get the models established. Thereby perpetuating in eternity those unusual/missing plastic parts of the Merkur line.

Now... I want you to think very carefully. What other small parts are deserving of such an effort? I ask that you keep it in a relatively small form factor of about 5" cubed. Small items only that are not otherwise available elsewhere.

Please send a personal message to me through the forum. The first PM regarding the XR4ti bezel wins. Other items that Xr4ti and Scorpio owners feel need to be modeled will be evaluated on a case by case basis.

Capiche?
Specialization is for Insects
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: 3d models for components of XR4ti and Scorpio

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I applaud your initiative.

A dome light is already on Thingiverse but likely can be improved on.
Screenshot_20210702-075259_Lite.jpg
Screenshot_20210702-075259_Lite.jpg (598.95 KiB) Viewed 18177 times
Screenshot_20210702-075312_Lite.jpg
Screenshot_20210702-075312_Lite.jpg (477.06 KiB) Viewed 18177 times
Screenshot_20210702-075325_Lite.jpg
Screenshot_20210702-075325_Lite.jpg (367.38 KiB) Viewed 18177 times

I don't do FB except the MCA Group. You miss a lot by not being on there and most importantly IMO opportunities to contribute your insights and expertise to the addiction.

YMMV
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

I had a friend print one of the overhead lights that Forrest posted, it's fitment was very good.
Since we did not have a clear filament, the black which was available does not transfer the light well... :)

But, I imagine if a clear is used, it would be pretty swell.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Posting this idea here as Dean didn't promise a gift/award for sending suggestions via PM...🙄🙂

If there is a material which could be comparable to pot metal in durability, the barrel for XR trunk locks is a candidate. The lock solenoid slams into the ends of the lock lever swing space cracking most all lock barrels . (The key lock still works.)

A 3D material barrel only needs to increase the open area for the solenoid lever to move to eliminate the breakage seen in the photos below.
20210702_100519_copy_756x756.jpg
20210702_100519_copy_756x756.jpg (90.1 KiB) Viewed 18171 times
20210702_100535_copy_756x756.jpg
20210702_100535_copy_756x756.jpg (89.73 KiB) Viewed 18171 times
20210702_101209_copy_756x756.jpg
20210702_101209_copy_756x756.jpg (103.18 KiB) Viewed 18171 times
I also suggest the turn switch/hazard stalk. I know what causes those to lose hazard light function but it must be disassembled to photo it. Lots of XR owners have non functional hazard switches in their turn signal stalks.

YMMV
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

What a surprise, I had no idea someone tackled the bezel already. Looks like he posted it earlier this year.

Sorry Ed, I can't help you on the latch. You are going to need to make it out of metal.
Although I could still model it, but it would require 3d metal printing or CNC to re-create.

As far as the hazard switch goes, if anyone can send me the part in question I will model it.

None the less, if anyone has any ideas for any other parts on the cars feel free to post.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

brokencase wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:01 pm What a surprise, I had no idea someone tackled the bezel already. Looks like he posted it earlier this year.

Sorry Ed, I can't help you on the latch. You are going to need to make it out of metal.
Although I could still model it, but it would require 3d metal printing or CNC to re-create.

As far as the hazard switch goes, if anyone can send me the part in question I will model it.

None the less, if anyone has any ideas for any other parts on the cars feel free to post.
I am not a 3d printing person by any means, but, isn't something like the lock cylinder additive machining?

On the hazard switch, I think the issue is the electronics side of it, not the lever & mechanicals, correct?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

my8950 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:28 pm
brokencase wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:01 pm What a surprise, I had no idea someone tackled the bezel already. Looks like he posted it earlier this year.

I am not a 3d printing person by any means, but, isn't something like the lock cylinder additive machining?

On the hazard switch, I think the issue is the electronics side of it, not the lever & mechanicals, space the lever arm actuated b correct?
I am 100% confident that the latch lock barrel housing can be made out of additive material. There is no heavy stress put on it in use. The original design failed simply because the cut out space for the lever arm's swing (when actuated by the solenoid) is modestly inadequate. A few mm wider solves that issue.

Some fewer hazard switch issues may be electrical but many are due to the hazard button slide internal "catch" failing. The catch mechanism works similar to how a ballpoint pen when pushed at the top will move the ink tube down and, this is what fails, be retained in that position until the top is again depressed. I've peered at the internals with a loupe and see what happens, or doesn't. If the hazard button won't stay depressed the hazard light circuit will not be activated.

On this someone recently posted to Thingiverse a 3D model for the XR turbo signal stalk hazard button; the original button easily succumbed to exposure to heat and ultraviolet Ray's. Dean can find it on Thingiverse. Many XR stalks are missing the hazard button.

YMMV
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Another candidate is the hood prop rod hold down clip. The '88 Scorpio uses the same clip as on all XRs. On most XRs that clip is broken.

YMMV
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

It may not be an issue elsewhere, but California is not kind to the plastic trim in the car. Both my XRs have cracks around the recesses where screws go to secure the pillar trim. Eventually they rip out and then the trim isn't secured. I keep meaning to make a "plug" that can pop into the recess to reinforce it. It would end with the screws not being flush or recessed in the trim, but at least the trim would stay put.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:30 pm Another candidate is the hood prop rod hold down clip. The '88 Scorpio uses the same clip as on all XRs. On most XRs that clip is broken.

YMMV
I already printed a replacement for my Scorpio.
There are several hood rod prop rod clips for various vehicles up on thingiverse already. I forget which one I used but it worked out fine.
I think I had to trim it with a dremel to get perfect fit.

I'll see if I can post a link to the one I used.
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

Ed Lijewski wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:04 pm
I am 100% confident that the latch lock barrel housing can be made out of additive material. There is no heavy stress put on it in use. The original design failed simply because the cut out space for the lever arm's swing (when actuated by the solenoid) is modestly inadequate. A few mm wider solves that issue.
Ed if your are confident it can be made out of plastic then send me one and I will try to model it. I will print you one in Priline Carbon fiber polycarbonate.
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Brokencase... size/dimension limitations?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Max of "about 5" cubed."

YMMV
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

So, anything under that volume is a potential candidate, or is/are there limitations on one or more dimensions?
john keefe
Level 7
Level 7

Post by john keefe »

Brokencase, are you able to do something like water-clear plastic? I have a perfect interior dome light lens I was trying to mold and reproduce in Alumilite water clear 2-part, but hadn't yet got it to work. Since you've got the laser scanner, that might be a good candidate for picking up all the little detail bosses that difract/disperse light. I can send you that lens.

And, the obvious cowl corner pieces. And interior XR and Scorpio door latch surrounds.