Volvo head...on the car!

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
Tommy99

Post by Tommy99 »

maybe some pictures when porting is done...?:)
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Most definitely, sir. :)
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I'd still try to find a way to support the header/turbo off the motor mount.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Colin- Would you consider doing an under-car turbo mount? The big plus of those is that your exhaust plumbing at the head is just like a N/A motor - use the stock manifold! I really wish I had found some time to look more closely at Compton's Ranger with the rear-mounted turbo at Carlisle. Talking to Planakis, they pretty much threw it together in an evening on a shoe-string budget, and then worked out the bugs over the next couple weeks. The toughest part was the oil pump, but apparently they finally found one up to the task after the first 3 or 4 failed.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

I hate idea of under the car mount. What happens when you go through a puddle and your 1400 degree turbo gets cold water on it?
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

It gets wet and boils off?

Years ago, Nissan mounted a hood scoop on the 300ZX that pointed right at the turbo.

That said, you'd want to mount it in a somewhat protected area, and a splash shield wouldn't be a bad idea. On a non daily-driver, these type of things become less of a concern.
ClayM

Post by ClayM »

Is the volvo head a direct bolt on to the 2.3 block? And what kind of hp gains are there from the head alone? Does the DOHC flow alot better than the iron SOHC?
________
ROOR BONG PICTURES
Last edited by ClayM on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

AlexD wrote:
MerkXRTurbo wrote:I hate idea of under the car mount. What happens when you go through a puddle and your 1400 degree turbo gets cold water on it?
That was stupid :roll:
How was that stupid? Do you even know what it's going to do? I do. It will crack.
Last edited by MerkXRTurbo on Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

ClayM wrote:Is the volvo head a direct bolt on to the 2.3 block? And what kind of hp gains are there from the head alone? Does the DOHC flow alot better than the iron SOHC?
From what I'm told, even the stock Volvo head outflows the Esslinger head.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

If metal is hot, and you throw water on it then it WILL crack. You wash your engine while it's cold... at least most of us would.

Alex, do you even understand simple physics?
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

can I take a moment to laugh my arse off!?? FPMSL!!!!!
phew ok, thanks..
Gentlemen...as you were.
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

Well most metal will not crack when its hot and water gets on it. But cast iron(witch are turbo housings,exhaust manifold are made out of) will crack if its real hot and suddenly gets cold. The reason behind this is the expantion rate of cast iron. When its near glowing and you get it real cold fast, the hot area stays expanded while the cold section is contracting rapidly. Cast iron dose not like to stretch. Plus when you make cast iron real hot and you dump water on it, you also make it get case harden. Witch makes it more prone to crack when its real thin.

Cast iron is real durable. But it has limitations.
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Whoa, a month old topic ressurection! :)
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
Merkenstein
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Merkenstein »

What kind of EEC do you use with the Volvo head conversion? I heard you say you was going to maybe put the coil packs where the firewall was.
It really is looking good :) Need a little scoop in the hood with the turbo compressor sticking out alittle, like on the NHRA Sport Compacts :D
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

How are you doing on your head Colin? Have not heard anything in a while. You still working on the header? Give us an update. :D
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!