Volvo head...on the car!

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:51 am

AlexD wrote:Here we go again, more talking crap about me
The power to fix the problem all lies in your hands, my man... 8)

Ghost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ghost » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:40 pm

Colin, what wheels are these and what size? Me likey! :)
Where did you mount the hood shocks? It almost looks like they mount to the forward end of the hinge on the hood and about even with the front edge of the strut turrets on the inside of the fenders? It would be awesome if you had any of the measurements handy.

Jacek
'85 XR4Ti: 8.8+T56 swap, AEM standalone, HY35 on a full rebuild... What's the bluebook on these cars again?
Image Image
"All cruelty springs from weakness" - Seneca

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:54 am

They're 17x7 Motegi MR1's with a -42 offset (I think.) Last I heard, they don't make them in 4x108 anymore... and the bronze color is also NLA.

The hood shocks are from my parts car. I used the ball studs from teh parts car, too... drilled a hole through each hinge as close to the mounting holes as I could get them while still allowing room in back for a nut, then drilled holes in the fender lips where they needed to be. The hatch struts are REALLY strong, though... I need to find some weaker ones. :lol:

Colin
Colin Doyle
'89 Scorpio | Volvo B234F head | Holset HX35 | Megasquirt | T5 | 8.8 IRS | mc²racing suspension
File to fit, paint to match.

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:16 pm

More pictures! I took out the false firewall, coolant and washer bottles, oil heater, EEC-IV harness, evaporator/fans/housing, radiator, etc, etc, etc. Getting it cleaned out so I can paint the engine bay and have it be tidy like Taryn's. :lol:

PM Motorsport alt. flip bracket

All the junk that came out... minus the 8 valve head and the harness. :lol:

No oil heater! Thank god! :)

I think I'll make some little CF plates to cover these holes and provide mounting area for the coilpacks.

65mm 4.6L TB

I found some nice 1.5" mandrel J-bends in the Summit catalog, so I think I'll be using those instead of weld els for my header. They're cheaper than els, too. :)

Colin
Last edited by Colin on Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Doyle
'89 Scorpio | Volvo B234F head | Holset HX35 | Megasquirt | T5 | 8.8 IRS | mc²racing suspension

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:26 pm

Wow, we've been doing sorta the same thing, 1300 miles apart. I've been "dumbing down" the XRBrati project car, so that it can move in and out of the garage, and not much else. It's currently a N/A motor using the stock header out of a '95 Ranger, along with a short run of pipe that just barely goes under the car. Why yes, it is rather loud. :twisted:

Lots of stuff has been removed from the engine bay, and I'm not done yet. You need surprisingly little to have a running vehicle. The problem is, the ride height is going up, and the car almost doesn't fit under the lift any more!!!

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:21 am

The false firewall came out pretty easily. It probably could've been a bitch had I not removed the head, though. :?
Colin Doyle

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:39 am

I'm pairing 1+4 and 2+3 because the Holset's got a split housing... I guess I probably need all the help I can get to spool this thing. :lol:

Not sure how I'm going to brace the turbo yet.. It's going to be pretty far away from the engine, but I can't brace it to the body.. probably going to get pretty crowded down there once I add the rest of the tubes, an external wg, collector, oil lines, exhaust, etc. :?

I don't think I did too bad for a first-timer with four hours to kill. :lol:

Colin
Last edited by Colin on Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Doyle

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:07 am

Very unique placement of the Holset Colin. Are you going to have to cut a hole in the hood for clearance??? :twisted: :lol:

Keep the pictures coming...

MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:20 am

PM's is mounted pretty high... above the VC even.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:01 pm

Last edited by Colin on Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Doyle

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:36 pm

maybe weld a bar from the turbo flange when you get it on the header pipes, then go from there to some bolts on the block?
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com

turboflush

Post by turboflush » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:08 pm

reinforce it from the top and the bottom. one or two bars that hook fromt he turbo to the valve cover. then another one or two that hook to the bottom of the header to the engine mount position. ;-)

Nice work. They all look equall length.

TF

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:29 pm

They aren't. Equal length runners are only a necessity with atmo engines, anyway. The traditional rules are tossed out the window when it comes to turbo headers. :)

I got the runners welded up now... the beads are a little ugly since I didn't have access to a TIG, but they won't leak... it's not a show car anyway. :lol: (pics coming eventually)

Colin
Colin Doyle

Tommy99

Post by Tommy99 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:18 am

hy... how far is this project.. is there some new and interesting pictures..??
Im doing this volvo head swap too... but im waiting head porting... and it´s not cheap at all...:@

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:47 pm

My head is being ported right now.. it's going to run me $200 for what the porting guy calls a "Stage 2" (his "Stage 1" is just smoothing the casting marks. A "Stage 2" removes some material. He said he's also trimming the guides slightly, which he has had much success with in his DSM head portings.) I've been waiting damn near two months for this guy to get to the head, though. That's the drawback of his cheap pricing... he only does it as a hobby, so there were a lot of people in line before me. He said he should get it done in a week or so, though. :)

I'm scrapping the header I built. I just don't think it's going to be strong enough to support the Holset without some massive bracing, which I don't really think will be optimal. I'd rather build a weld el ram-horn style header which will support the beasty mass of the HX35 and then some.

In sum, I need a job that pays better. :lol:
Colin Doyle