Trailer Hitch Installed on XR

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Trailer Hitch Installed on XR

Post by cmouta »

It seems like the original universal hitch part number Reese 88002 is NLA. Is used the only option? has anyone else found a different model that works?
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

cmouta wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:06 pm It seems like the original universal hitch part number Reese 88002 is NLA. Is used the only option? has anyone else found a different model that works?
It may have already been discontinued when I bought it years ago. I bought it from an individual who had never used it and was just clearing out some stuff. I'm sure there are other "universal" hitches that could be adapted. The trend nowadays is to go with a 2" receiver regardless of the capacity.
Brad
cmouta
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cmouta »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:41 am
cmouta wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:06 pm It seems like the original universal hitch part number Reese 88002 is NLA. Is used the only option? has anyone else found a different model that works?
It may have already been discontinued when I bought it years ago. I bought it from an individual who had never used it and was just clearing out some stuff. I'm sure there are other "universal" hitches that could be adapted. The trend nowadays is to go with a 2" receiver regardless of the capacity.
Is yours, in the original post photo, also attached to the unibody with the "Z" brackets or is it just bolted to the bumper tubes? Just looking for something to use a bicycle rack with.
Chris
1988 Mono Rosso Red Merkur XR4Ti - Sold!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

cmouta wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:30 pm Is yours, in the original post photo, also attached to the unibody with the "Z" brackets or is it just bolted to the bumper tubes? Just looking for something to use a bicycle rack with.
It's connected solely via the bumper shock tubes. Keep in mind, this car hasn't moved more than about 50 feet since this picture was taken ~15 years ago. That said, if the body and shocks are in good shape, you should be fine with this setup for a bike rack.
Brad