Trailer Hitch Installed on XR

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:03 pm

Just to throw some reality perspective on the situation, take a look at the pic below. Yes, that's a rusty, 200K+ mile Fox Capri
with an original 2.3T motor, towing a 2100 lb trailer with a 2900 lb Merkur along for the ride. Do the math kids - it's a 5000 lb
load - he's done it several times. The owner, who will remain anonymous, has logged well over 10,000 miles
pulling such loads, even through mountainous roads. One round trip in particular exceeded 2500 miles, so the 10K mile
number is probably way conservative.

Do I recommend or endorse this? No. But after seeing this, I'm even less concerned about pulling a little dinky
trailer with a mere 1500 lb load! Now where's that Nomex balaclava??? :twisted:

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:46 pm

Well, that puts the bad-for-the-turbo argument to rest, bearing in mind that the Mustang has an IC whereas the stock Merkur did not. I wonder what, if any, other concerns the factory had with structure, suspension, driveline, or :?:
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:09 pm

John Brennan wrote:I wonder what, if any, other concerns the factory had with structure, suspension, driveline, or :?:
Well, I'm pretty damn sure the factory wouldn't approve of towing a 2.5 ton load! :twisted:
Hmmm, I'm close enough to a spare XR and Scorpio Owner Guide, let's see what we find....
XR4Ti - Absolutely zero mention of towing, other than how to prepare the car TO BE towed (they knew!)
Scorpio - Wow, almost two pages of info! With A4LD, they spec a max trailer weight of 4200 lbs; 3750 lbs with T9
I actually didn't expect the weights to be that high - there's no mention of HOW a hitch should be attached.
Was a factory hitch ever offered for the Scorpio???

jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:14 pm

no IC on that ole capri though in stock form
John Brennan wrote:Well, that puts the bad-for-the-turbo argument to rest, bearing in mind that the Mustang has an IC whereas the stock Merkur did not. I wonder what, if any, other concerns the factory had with structure, suspension, driveline, or :?:
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:25 pm

I'm just wondering why the factory took the trouble to say that towing was verbotten, rather than specifying a limit or something. I can't recall where I read the "always boosting" thing, but it was off the Desktop somewhere...
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:57 pm

John Brennan wrote:I'm just wondering why the factory took the trouble to say that towing was verbotten, rather
than specifying a limit or something. I can't recall where I read the "always boosting" thing, but it was off the Desktop somewhere...
But they did NOT say it was forbidden. To the best of my knowledge, they were silent on the topic for the XR
and provided the above limits for the Scorpio. Given that the two car bodies are generally the same, I would
infer that there is not a structural issue in towing with the XR. Regardless, don't expect to see me pulling
a two ton load any time soon. I think the "always boosting" thing was an uninformed guess relayed as fact.
Damn Internet!!! :evil:

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:35 am

My car had a hitch on it when I got it... I towed a little aluminum rowboat a few times on a "Tee Nee" brand trailer a few times to no ill affect. In case you care to follow suit, however, I do offer the following warning: Double check to make sure your T9 is in 1st gear and not reverse before trying to pull the boat out of the lake... :oops:
Colin Doyle
'89 Scorpio | Volvo B234F head | Holset HX35 | Megasquirt | T5 | 8.8 IRS | mc²racing suspension
File to fit, paint to match.

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:54 pm

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
John Brennan wrote:I'm just wondering why the factory took the trouble to say that towing was verbotten, rather
than specifying a limit or something. I can't recall where I read the "always boosting" thing, but it was off the Desktop somewhere...
But they did NOT say it was forbidden. To the best of my knowledge, they were silent on the topic for the XR
and provided the above limits for the Scorpio. Given that the two car bodies are generally the same, I would
infer that there is not a structural issue in towing with the XR. Regardless, don't expect to see me pulling
a two ton load any time soon. I think the "always boosting" thing was an uninformed guess relayed as fact.
Damn Internet!!! :evil:
Page 67 of the Owner's Manual:

"Do not tow trailers with your XR4Ti. Avoid continuous boost levels." :?
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:33 am

John Brennan wrote:Page 67 of the Owner's Manual:

"Do not tow trailers with your XR4Ti. Avoid continuous boost levels." :?

I stand corrected. :oops: Could they have buried that comment any deeper in the manual? :? It's under the
"Special instructions and turbocharger operation" section. That's where I'd always go looking for info about pulling a trailer. :roll:

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:15 am

Well, of course the point is not to correct you, but to try to get underneath the "why" of the admonition. :?:
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:05 am

John Brennan wrote:Well, of course the point is not to correct you, but to try to get underneath the "why" of the admonition. :?:
I would have to suspect it was just an attempt to lessen their warranty exposure, without any significant research put behind it. The somewhat arcane location of the "warning" would indicate to me that there wasn't a lot of thought put behind it. That said, all things being equal, a turbo that is worked significantly harder over X miles will have a higher rate of wear/failure than one not worked so hard over the same X miles. No, I'm not switching sides - just pointing out that there certainly is SOME validity to the warning

Chuck W
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Chuck W » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:38 am

I'm planning on adding a similar hitch to my '80 Z-7 to haul a little 4'x8' utility trailer around and such as I sold the Ranger. The Z-7 will be turboed eventually as well and I'm not really worried about it.

I think alot of the "warnings" are based on the fact that the manufacturers didn't trust the average idiot who has no common sense..and to avoid "warranty" issues, they just said "don't do it".
"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power is derived from a mandate from the masses, not from some farsical aquatic ceremony."

vcallaway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vcallaway » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:29 pm

This last weekend I attended a Porsche club autocross event. One of the guys had a small trailer that was about 4 ft square. It had an aluminum box the size of pickup tool bax and a rack with a set of tires.

He pulled it with his Porsche. I of course had to ask him about it.

The hitch was a custom made 1" receiver. His owners manual also states "no towing". He decided pulling this small trailer was better than towing the car to events. He bought the car to drive, not to be pulled behind a truck.

He also thinks the towing warning is a CYA from Porsche. He's been pulling his for a few years with no ill effects. He is sure that autocross is also not covered under warrenty :)
Vince Callaway

ShaggyZ
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ShaggyZ » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:11 am

Apparently turboford.org lost or deletes older threads from even just less than 6 months ago. I posted about my trip from Austin, TX to Orlando, FL.
XR was fully loaded over allowable limit AND I had a 4x6 trailer on in tow with my motorcycle (~415lbs). The trip was done in 22 hours of straight driving and I got 22 MPG - the best I've ever gotten. The turbo has 125k original miles on it and it did pretty well. It smoked a couple of times on the way and for a couple days after but it's not anymore. Still runs great. I suspect the trip back may kill it.
Josh

'89 XR: T5, 3in -- sold (no more XR's for me)
'77 280Z project
'03 Suzuki SV650S 12.15@108
'99 Suzuki SV650 -- for sale

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:18 pm

Just came across some "new" info that I thought was worth bringing this thread back to life. :lol: Maximum tow weight for
the Sierra is indicated as 1350 Kg.