The car I got by accident

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
jaredaseltzer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaredaseltzer »

"...And a shift knob, the after market one keeps flopping around."
When I finally found a shifter knob that I liked but it didn't fit/stay on my shifter, I JB Welded it to my shifter! It worked great, and it never did come off...Just an idea for ya!
"What the heck is a gluhlampenuberwachung?"
Where the heck did you get this word?
glühlampenüberwachung = light bulbs supervision

What ever that means...
89 Scorpio - Stock (<-Means many things are broken!)
jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti »

"What the heck is a gluhlampenuberwachung?"

Where the heck did you get this word?
glühlampenüberwachung = light bulbs supervision
Look under your dash. Its on the Lamp Outage Module. Gotta love that grerman. :lol:
Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Specktor »

Finally got the rest of the bugs out , purrs like a kitten now. After I fixed the boost solenoid . seems to be hitting around 20 psi which if I have been reading correctly is a little high. Should checked that turbo alittle better before I put it in , seems to spool up twice as fast as the old one. Not sure if its been upgraded internally. Finished my cosworth light install.
Image.

And installed my 12 buck ebay steering wheel.
Still need to make a surround for the air filter and set up my ic. Have to wait till more parts get here. Replaced the front left caliper was causing the front end to shake piston was rusted. Hopefully will have 40 deg weather or better this weekend and I can replace my power steering pump. still works but want to replace anything that could make me miss going to penn in june.
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
Can I stop now I'm broke.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

Specktor wrote:Finally got the rest of the bugs out , purrs like a kitten now. After I fixed the boost solenoid . seems to be hitting around 20 psi which if I have been reading correctly is a little high. Should checked that turbo alittle better before I put it in , seems to spool up twice as fast as the old one.
If it's overboosting you need to check the WGA. Put your mouth on the vacuum hose going to it and if you can blow through it then it's shot.
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan »

did you need an adaptor for the steering wheel? if you didn't, could you provide a link to the ebay auction you bought it from so i can buy one?!
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

THEY ALL (except partsie) RUN!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbofan
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Specktor »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:
Specktor wrote:Finally got the rest of the bugs out , purrs like a kitten now. After I fixed the boost solenoid . seems to be hitting around 20 psi which if I have been reading correctly is a little high. Should checked that turbo alittle better before I put it in , seems to spool up twice as fast as the old one.
If it's overboosting you need to check the WGA. Put your mouth on the vacuum hose going to it and if you can blow through it then it's shot.

The wga is brand new , tryed blowing through it no dice. the turbo is one that came with the car as an extra have to check with the guy i bought it from and see if hes got any info on it.
As for the steering wheel yes needed an adapter momo steering wheel adapter from rhad performance they are 59.50 plus shipping which is 7.92 for ups ground. Just incase anyone was looking for one. Almost forgot part number is 4517
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Grant also lists an adapter for the XR4Ti, which should work with Momo wheels as well... same 6-bolt pattern.
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Specktor »

if you use the grant adapter you have to order an adapter to adapt the grant to the momo style wheel. Checked into it before buying the momo one. I've also read that some are using the piece from the stock wheel and drilling it out to work.
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

Weird... I've used Grant adapters on Saabs to mount Momo wheels... perhaps they changed something at some point... ?
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Specktor »

I might be mistaken but if you check the summit racing site they list an adapter for grant adapter to fit momo wheels.
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
thesameguy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thesameguy »

You're definitely right... Things must have changed at some point - my info is out o' date! :D
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

well that's pretty trick dude. where did you get the lights?

i want to use my focus steering wheel in my merk.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Specktor »

I got the lights from a place in england called cosworth wreckers. cost me 201.00 shipped to my house . they were in excellent condition. Nice guys to deal with.
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Specktor »

And my rear lights are now in. Image
if the weather would just warm up again I could put my ebay emergency brake cable on.
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.