Pics of our progess.

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
NickW

Post by NickW »

Wow, they are an odd little thing..but we will be covering them in our car for rust, animal and road noise reasons.

Got some more work done today, but none worth busting the camera out. Started to work heavily on the foot rests and up behind the lower dash.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Colin wrote:Seems perfectly plausible... have you seen the e-coat painting process in action, Ed? :?
No; and I'll stand corrected if someone can point to [any] expert opinion (rather than blather here) that points to that explanation. [ :o ]

YMMV 8)

Edit: Oh, And please offer a theory for why more than one "louver" [that's what they certainly look like] is needed in that "for drainage" explanation?
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ed Lijewski wrote:Edit: Oh, And please offer a theory for why more than one "louver" [that's what they certainly look like] is needed in that "for drainage" explanation?
I'll readily admit that my/DG's GUESS (yes, that's precisely what I called it), doesn't fully hold up, given the location and quantity of holes in the body. It doesn't fully make sense to me either, but it's the best guess I've heard to date.

Your statement however was delivered as fact, something which I believe I have irrefutably dismissed as being incorrect (aka, lame and indefensible).

A guess doesn't require a defense so much as something stated as fact.

Back to you Eddie...
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Ed Lijewski wrote:
Colin wrote:Seems perfectly plausible... have you seen the e-coat painting process in action, Ed? :?
No; and I'll stand corrected if someone can point to [any] expert opinion (rather than blather here) that points to that explanation. [ :o ]
Here's a general summary of the e-coat process.

I've seen numerous videos of vehicle shells going through the electrodeposition coating tank and ALL of them (as far as I can remember) have entered with the nose down and exited with the nose high in the air, which doesn't really help the drain theory.

Maybe the designer just had some stanky feet. :?

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

Part of the crumple zone. :lol:
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

fastmaul wrote:Part of the crumple zone. :lol:
Don't laugh - That's actually been seriously suggested before. :shock:

I can just see the ad copy....

The Merkur XR4Ti has a European-inspired "in-cabin crumple zone".
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

:lol:
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
NickW

Post by NickW »

Being that they are all covered heavily with tar, they might have been put there to allow for the tar to spread/lay evening. Instead of forming weird shapes the tar would simply fill in the cracks. Just thought of it..probably not even close to right and I can think of reasons why.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

NickW wrote:Being that they are all covered heavily with tar, they might have been put there to allow for the tar to spread/lay evening. Instead of forming weird shapes the tar would simply fill in the cracks.
Sorry, can't buy that one. The largest grouping of louvers is in the forward footwells, where it's pretty close to dead flat.

We need to find someone on the inside at Ford who was involved with the engineering of this body.
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:We need to find someone on the inside at Ford who was involved with the engineering of this body.
Which brings up an interesting point. We know alot about the who/what/when about the design of the engine, but I have never heard anything about the design of the body. :?
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Yeah! I want to strangle the one who designed the two "cowl-lets" on either side of the windshield with the vulnerable edge sticking up. Bet she didn't think to consider winter and ice scraper use. :roll:

And while I'm at it, lemme at the team that shaped the XR body: Fuh uh uh butt ugh ly :!: Comin' AND goin' :!: [Side view ain't bad.]

And those exposed seat belt rails Ferchrissakes, man/woman :!:

And the weak taillight gaskets that dry up when exposed to sunlight :!:

Go ahead, add to this list. wink:

YMMV 8)
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Colin wrote:
Ed Lijewski wrote:
Here's a general summary of the e-coat process.

I've seen numerous videos of vehicle shells going through the electrodeposition coating tank and ALL of them (as far as I can remember) have entered with the nose down and exited with the nose high in the air, which doesn't really help the drain theory.

Maybe the designer just had some stanky feet. :?

Colin
Some current Karmann info: http://www.karmann.com/__C1256DF700512B ... 82fe5.html

YMMV 8)
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

You've got to be kidding about the sliding seat belt rails-- that's one little gem of design I have always admired. Lets people get in and out of the back seat SO much more easily! :shock:
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

John Brennan wrote:You've got to be kidding about the sliding seat belt rails-- that's one little gem of design I have always admired. Lets people get in and out of the back seat SO much more easily! :shock:
Exactly! And if you don't like it, or you've "converted" the car to "2-passenger only" status, just convert to the Scorpio belt assembly! 8)
turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan »

the XR is a nice looking car. it's extremely unique, and when it's lowered and stuff, it looks really cool from the front. it looks like a badger, low and mean :lol: i really like it.

so, eddie, i will defend the designer. the car is neat. maybe ugly stock, but pretty much EVERYTHING was ugly stock in the 80's.
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

THEY ALL (except partsie) RUN!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbofan