Pics of our progess.

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Merkur Club web site
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

turbofan wrote:EVERYTHING was ugly stock in the 80's.
You sure about that? How would you know, You're probably born in the 80's. :lol:
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan »

'86! but man, really, most cars in the 80's were pretty butt ugly stock. especially GM cars. and ford cars, and toyotas, and hondas, and bmw's... and some audis... and some volkwagens...

yeah, pretty much the only NOT ugly cars in the 80's were ferrari's and porsches :lol:
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

THEY ALL (except partsie) RUN!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbofan
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

There are a LOT of cars from the late 70's-to-late 80's era that were definitely NOT ugly... the 80's just had their own style. I happen to like boxy cars, so to me there's nothing more beautiful than an 80s Corolla, RX7, 300ZX, MR2, M3, Conquest/Starion, 944, Fiero, Sierra, etc... I LOVE 80's CARS!!!! :D

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
turbofan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by turbofan »

haha in truth, you're absolutely right colin. i like boxy cars as well :oops: in fact, i love fieros. the starions are pretty cool. i also liked the factory hopped up grand-am's, you know, the ones that were (usually) white with a factory body kit and white aluminum wheels. those looked cool! along with some of the euro luminas. but those were cars that had body kits and stuff. normal 80's cars looked like crap.

i agree with all except the 300zx (the turbo'd ones looked alright with the body kit, but base ones, ugh...), M3, and corolla. eww. :P :lol:
Ed (yep, another Ed....)

THEY ALL (except partsie) RUN!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbofan
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

You're not a fan of the 80's M3 models?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Instagram @colinrdoyle
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

[Kip voice]That's what I'm talking about.[/Kip voice]

(Kip is Napoleon Dynamite's brother)
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
XR4Timan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by XR4Timan »

[Napoleon ON] SWEET!! [Napoleon OFF]

BMW's Cosworth! :D
1986 Sierra Cosworth
http://www.geocities.com/merouby
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

wow, you guys dont know what the holes that are covered with tar are for?

Following is actual dialogue from the design team:

Engineer 1 = E1, Engineer 2 = E2, etc.

E1: So, what's in store for today?
E2: Today we're looking at putting little items in the car that the general populace wont see.
E1: Oh! this is my favorite part.
E3: Mine too. So, i have this idea, it involves a badger, a lemon, and...
E1: Seriously folks! Come on now!
E2: How about this? We put random holes in the car and fill them with soundproofing tar?
E3: That's the stupidest idea i've ever heard in my life.
E1: I kinda like it. It's subtle, yet different.
E2: No, seriously! People will argue about this on internet forums in 20 years, why we decided to do this!
E3: What the hell is the internet?
E2: I've seen the future.
E1: Dude, lay off the acid.
E2: No, seriously. It will be a network of computers! This car will have an internet following.
E1: What? Computers are going to follow this car? Why?
E2: *sigh*
E3: Can i try some of your acid?
E2: I'M NOT ON DRUGS!
E1: We believe you. (*winks to E3*)
E2: I saw that.
E1: Saw what?
E2: That. Stop it. Back to the random holes.
E3: It's actually not a bad idea. Doesn't cost more to implement, and will be a cute feature.
E1: But what is there purpose?
E2: For people to argue about on the inter -
E1: Shut up with the internet, already.
E3: Yeah, seriously. I want some of that acid.

My opinion is drains in case the car has a leak. it's easy to punch a hole in those then repatch em.

*shrug*
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

ROFL, good one demonfire! :lol:
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Any chance they video-tapped the meeting from that day too, or do you only have the written transcripts???
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Sadly, only the transcripts.

Oddly, they also spoke english.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
John Brennan wrote:You've got to be kidding about the sliding seat belt rails-- that's one little gem of design I have always admired. Lets people get in and out of the back seat SO much more easily! :shock:
Exactly! And if you don't like it, or you've "converted" the car to "2-passenger only" status, just convert to the Scorpio belt assembly! 8)
Look: the fact that they "work" doesn't redeem their tacky aethestic aspect. The rails look cheap. Cheep cheep cheap cheap. Like an Afterthought. Or a minimalist approach. Is that the best the could have done? Is that what you would have proposed, final solution? :lol: :P

No way. :wink:

And as for the look of the XR from the front, it was best described by the ex-submariner who posted here as resembling a sucker or catfish (and he liked his XR as much as any of us like ours). Definitely the best description yet.

As far as the rear view, I'll describe it as looking like an obese turtle. :lol: :wink:

YMMV 8)
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
George R. Schults, Jr.

Post by George R. Schults, Jr. »

:D
Guys, regardless whether you think the XR looks like a fish from the front or a turtle from the rear, it's shape was "computer generated" (even before the internet existed !) & is "aerodynamic functionality personafied" based on coefficient of drag #'s generated in a wind tunnel !!! Actually the XR body shape was designed by "Mother Nature" with some help from artificial intelligence!!!
You remember Mother Nature! > that big bad mother who sneeks up behind you and Kicks You in the ASS !!!!! "May the Boost be with You !!!"
BBBB
"BBBB"
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Si, buey!

I guess beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. Sure, I'll come on board with the retard bumpers, but then, all of us Americans do a bit of contorting at the behest of the Government, don't we...? :wink:

Yes, I do like the look of the seat belt rails. I even like the look of the license plate lights. It's so...German. And overall, I have admired my sexy beast in many a shop window and tanker truck, or when just sitting at the curb, or from above in a building. She has the same purposefulness as a fighter-bomber (OK, no 'wub' smiley). Military jets look cool, but have odd little bumps and appendages here and there-- but those things DO things!
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Whoa, who let the yellow convertible guy in here?! :D
Instagram @colinrdoyle