Anglin's Racer Build and History

Documenting your big project with photos/videos? Have photos/videos to share of anything Merkur related? Place your links to photos and videos here. Please - Merkurs and Merkur-related pictures only. Cosworths welcome!!
Carlisle and event related pictures are to be placed in the relevant section under 'Events'.
Carlisle 2020
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:27 pm

A team of five of us tested the suspension design today against a non-rod ended XR4Ti suspension. We did braking (60-0 mph distance), slalom and skid pad testing and got lots and lots of data. We haven't processed the data yet, but the test was successful.

I've had some rough days working on cars, but this one was almost certainly the most adverse, given the snags we ran into (related to other stuff not the new components, like brake components and that stupid nut welded to the backside of the frame rail for the stock ARB bracket to attach to). Great stories came from the day. Several challenges were overcome. Data will soon flow once it is all processed.

yottabit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by yottabit » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:31 pm

Congrats! (despite the bad luck)

Looking forward to the results!

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:38 pm

Good to hear!
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:44 am

were both cars otherwise identical? (brake pads / tires / spring rates / bushings / motor mods / gearing / etc?)

just curious.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com

anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:13 pm

demonfire wrote:were both cars otherwise identical? (brake pads / tires / spring rates / bushings / motor mods / gearing / etc?)
Great question, Ray.

The original plan was to use Grayson's autocross-prepped race car for everything.

Step 1: test new suspension design with stock alignment settings
Step 2: test new suspension design with modified alignment settings (like increased camber)
Step 3: test original/prepped suspension as a comparison

We ran into a snag early on when trying to install the new suspension. Grayson has XR4x4 front spindles (no driveshafts, since it's still RWD), Koni Yellows and the PBR/SVT caliper upgrade. The XR4x4 spindles have a different flange setup for the brake caliper and a a different offset between caliper mounting flanges and the face of the hub. So, we couldn't get the PBR calipers over the SVT rotors. We put some small spacers in the adapters and that fixed the problem. Then we had to figure out how to bolt it all together, since the XR4x4 spindles had M12 threaded holes in the caliper mounting ears and the XR4Ti had M10-sized smooth holes. We scrounged some bolts, including one off of my road car and put it all together. Working through these problems provided enough of a hold up that we had less testing time.

Other folks (paying customers) were supposed to be coming and using part of the facility that we were using for the skid pad. So, we did Step 1 and decided to skip Step 2 and move on to Step 3.

While removing the new/race suspension from the car we (we = me... I was turning the wrench at the time) broke one of the captive nuts inside the frame rail that the anti-roll bar is supposed to bolt to. With some work, we were able to forcibly hold the broken-loose nut in position and get the chassis bracket off the car. It was decided that punching a hole in the frame rail to get a nut on the backside of the frame rail to put the original anti-roll bar bracket was out of the question, given the tools, equipment and time we had. So, I thought testing was done at this point until one of the team members suggested using my car to get some comparitive results.

We finished getting Grayson's suspension back onto the front of his car and then put the same tires that we had used on Grayson's racer onto my road car.

My road car isn't stock, but it isn't as well prepared as Grayson's car. It has polyurethane bushings on the TCA (inner and ARB connection), nylon steering rack bushings and a Group-N differential mount.

So, what is the value of the results? We get to see the difference between minor suspension improvments and a rod-end suspension (with nylon rear STA stuff). The tires; perhaps the single most important component to handling performance, remained consistent between the vehicles. This also means we get a comparison between a stock XR4Ti (data on the internet) and an XR4Ti with minor suspension improvements and race tires.

Quick summary of the results? Throw some (heavily used) race tires and a couple polyurethane bushings on the XR4Ti and you'll see an improvement in lateral acceleration of about 0.1 g. Throw a race suspension on the car with rod ends and nylon bushings in the rear, the same (heavily used) race tires and you'll improve lateral acceleration by another 0.1 g for a 0.2 g improvement total over stock. (That's an increase in lateral acceleration of 25%!)

What's up with these heavily used race tires? I bought some Kumho V700 Victoracers in 2001 in the 225/50R15 size and used them for 13 autocrosses (about 100 runs, when you add in co-driving, etc.). They've sat in the garage since June 2002 when I last autocrossed my racer. That's 7 years sitting unused.

What's up with the course the skid pad testing was done on? The skid pad course was limited by the area we had available to us. The test facility has a 1/2 mile circle track with a partially-paved infield. By getting creative with the paved infield, we were able to carve out a skid pad. Part of the skid pad had to transition onto a slightly banked section and then back off to the infield area which was partially off-camber. Hardly an ideal arrangement. The transitions were very upsetting to the cars. My road car picked up the inside rear tire at the transition. We did the best with what we had available.

Because of how the testing went, we were unable to see how the rod end suspension improved over an already well-built non-rod end suspension. While unfortunate, I'm glad we got solid results that could be compared to something. We're not ready to release the data yet (though internet research and/or a little algebra can get you the skid pad lateral acceleration numbers), but those are coming soon.

BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:00 pm

Any pics of the new stuff on the car???

(I love this thread)
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Anglin,

If you want, i know about what my a/x times are versus some other consistant cars i run with, and i can install your blade type setup and do a couple events and report back.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com

anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:01 am

demonfire wrote:If you want, i know about what my a/x times are versus some other consistant cars i run with, and i can install your blade type setup and do a couple events and report back.
Oooo. Shoot me an email and we'll discuss details.

(Just for the record, it's not a blade type ARB.)

anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:27 am

I received a reminder recently that I hadn't followed up with the results of the test. After testing and data reduction we did the final report and presentation, then it was other final exams, then graduation. Now I've got a little bit of time to add quality info here.

First, here is the video we used during the presentation. It's a little bland, but it demonstrates our testing method. The course instructor said we had to have a video in the final presentation and my job was to get the best possible grade, so I made one. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbrzShuSRUw

We conducting the testing over a period of about eight hours. Here are a few pictures from the testing process.

paddock area

buttoning up the suspension installation

passenger side components installed

driver side components installed

braking test

slalom test

putting cones back into place from one of the slalom runs

skid pad

preparing for removal

I'm going to wrap up the test data in a different post.

BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:48 am

Hotness.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.

anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:48 am

Here are the results. Before you start reading I should mention that what you are about to read isn't just performance data. It is also some of the analysis of the results of the design itself. It's a little wordy, but there's a LOT of good stuff in here.

One of the unique aspects of the design is the adjustable anti-roll bar. After calculating the torsional stiffness of the stock-sized (26.0 mm OD) and Cosworth-sized (28.5 mm OD) anti-roll bars, we built the new anti-roll bar system to have equivalent torsional stiffnesses and then went one better. The design allows the driver to choose from six different settings of anti-roll bar stiffness. The driver can choose stock stiffness for the low, Cosworth stiffness for the high and 4 points in between. Just for the fun of it, I've even taken the time to calculate out those "effective sizes"
for you. (In this case, effective size refers to a comparison between a setting on this ARB system and its equivalent "mm size" of the stock-style ARB, if such a size were to exist.) So, here are the "sizes" that this design has:

- 26.0 mm
- 26.4 mm
- 26.9 mm
- 27.3 mm
- 27.8 mm
- 28.5 mm

If the driver is feeling a little bit nutty, I could also whip up an anti-roll bar that has the same stiffness as the famed 32 mm front ARB. (A real one surfaced recently that the owner was selling for an obscene amount of money... somewhere between $1500 and $1800.) This ARB one-ups the real 32 mm ARB though, because it, too, is adjustable. In fact, if the driver really wanted it, a full range of effective sizes, from 23.6 mm to 32.0 mm is available.

After crunching all the data we collected from the test, we came up with one good, hard number that can be compared to other cars on the planet. (All the other data was good for back-to-back comparison but is difficult to translate outside the test environment.) With the suspension on the car and multiple tests conducted, the car was measured at a maximum (average over one lap) 0.99 g lateral acceleration on the skidpad. The plot of pavement we had for the skidpad was hardly an ideal test surface. The testing details, like tires and skidpad surface problems, etc, are documented in that MCAF thread. It's most important to note that the 0.99 g number comes from stock alignment settings. We did not adjust camber or caster to get that number.

The two tests resulted in a slalom speed increase of about 5%. It's a little bit more difficult to get any conclusions of value out of this data given the restrictions of the test day.

There's a solid 90+ page technical report written to go with the design project. It's a gigantic 20 megabytes in size from all the figures, tables and graphs. I'd be glad to share that, but that's a you-gotta-come-to-my-house-to-see-it kind of thing.

So, there it is. I probably left something out, but that's what I've been up to for the last five months. Mad props to a couple folks for making it happen:

- Grayson: donated the chassis, LOTS of machining time and the test vehicle (like he didn't want that opportunity)
- Commercial Metal Fabricators: laser cutting and CNC bending services
- Weasel's Welding: great work at incredible rates

The suspension demonstrated an improvement in performance just by bolting it onto the car. If the suspension/car were then further tuned, even more performance gain could be had.

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks for the update Anglin!
Joe
1985 Nimbus Grey XR
2017 Ford Focus RS

yottabit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by yottabit » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:34 pm

Cool! .99 g with stock alignment is impressive to me :shock:

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Very nice! :cheers

Now put the wing back on! Yer car's runnin' around bare-assed! :poke
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

DSPXR4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DSPXR4ti » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:10 pm

Was all the tire noise because of the very old VR,V700's? and the question I have for you is. If you can make that same set up useing the stock TCA Chris Grayson and I can use the mounting points of your hard work.

The rule said we can use to different camber adjustment points, just not both at the same time and now that I'm writing this it sound like we can use this setup, I'm just not sure about the TCA and if it has to have a stock appearance or not.

I'll read to rule book and ask some question from the guy that have been and are on the SEB.

I'll let you all know.

Can you all send me more pic's of it installed in your XR's.

Ben
85 DSP XR4ti, 2009 Solo 2 National Champion, burns muffler, 3in exhaust, Mc2 Full suspension, 325 hps & 328tqr, GMR Intake, Wilwood brakes, Eaton LSD, stand alone ECU. Working on being SM National Champion.