How's Your Ride?

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 3-5, 2005.
Merkur Club web site
mhamilton
Level 6
Level 6

How's Your Ride?

Post by mhamilton »

I hear some are still working on there car to get them running for Carlisle. Who is still wrenching? WHo is all ready for the trip?

I just need to do the "spring cleaning". Maybe find the annoying rattle in the dash.
"Head for the Hills, the Town of Lompach is Under Water!"
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

I'm still turning wrenches on my car and everyone else's on a daily basis.
I'd rather be working on them now than somewhere in the middle of nowhere on the PA turnpike! :lol:
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

Mark, stop that damn Carlisle countdown clock will 'ya. I'm still wrenching, welding, grinding, painting!!

Wilky
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Me too! :lol: The car is running pretty well - the Saab rad is mounted and NOT leaking, it's cooling well, the turbo is remounted, the suspension is in, and the fender is welded back on. Now I've gotta fill the fender, sand it, refinish it, and remount the damn door (it's sooooo heavy!) And get my new tires mounted! I can't leave for Carlisle with cords showing. :lol:

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Re: How's Your Ride?

Post by anglin »

mhamilton wrote:I hear some are still working on there car to get them running for Carlisle. Who is still wrenching?
Ha! I just got my "ride to Carlisle" started yestderday for the first time in 9 months. I drove it a little too. No throttle cable in the car, clutch wouldn't completely disengage. I needed to move the car from where it was parked because it still had an expired license plate and the cops noticed it yesterday. A 24 hour tow notification makes you make an XR4Ti "Houdini" to some other location in a hurry.

I still have wiring to fix, interior to install (the car was running with no dash, gauges, switches, etc.), install an oil cooler, do an oil change and some road testing. I also want to get my carbon fiber hood installed, but we'll see if there is time for that. I'm going to visit family out of state next weekend too. Thank God I have another XR that I drive every day just in case I'm not as successful as I hope to be.

(Of course there are house projects to do, including removal and replacement of the ceiling drywall panel that was my first indication of a leaky roof.)

Way to start a thread like this, Mark. Now I'm extra panicky.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Maaaaybe... :oops:

This thing's got 80's-Miami-Vice-BMW style camber... and I've got a thing for doing huge burnouts. And they were Nankangs... not exactly the longest-lasting tires out there. :lol:

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

If your continued insistance is any indication, I would be compelled to agree. :lol:
Instagram @colinrdoyle
quirkymerk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by quirkymerk »

i still am waiting for the adapter for my tc ic so i can install it, i need a new injector and i wanted to do some body work yet, i also need to put my rear view mirror back on and finish making my boost controller :)
'87 auto xr4ti sti wannabee going to Carlisle 2010!)
'90 5.0 LX stang
*Sarah*
quirkymerk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by quirkymerk »

oh yeah and i also need my brake lights and turn signals fixed, and i need to install my new antenna (thank you denny! 'oneloudmerkur')
'87 auto xr4ti sti wannabee going to Carlisle 2010!)
'90 5.0 LX stang
*Sarah*
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

quirkymerk wrote:oh yeah and i also need my brake lights and turn signals fixed
I wonder whose XR is in the most significant state of disrepair/disassembly/discombobulation as of this point and the XR will still be going to Carlisle. I have to say that mine is a big mess. I've probably got a minimum of 15 hours of work just to make it roadworthy right now. Forget about projects that I wanted to get done, like the carbon fiber hood installation, the oil cooler installation and other fun projects.
www.mc2racing.com
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Ah, Procrastination... the only luxury we have left, and the only way to have ANY free time at all! :lol: !
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
dedwards
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dedwards »

Got the 86 washed last weekend and ready for polish/wax treatment. Also need to go thru the interior and spruce up. Will go thru the engine bay this weekend.

The 88 is under the tarp and needs pretty much the same attention as the 86.

The 89 probably won't make the trip. Haven't found a "designated driver" for it.
Dennis E.
86 XR4Ti, 81k, C3, Diamond White
88 XR4Ti, 125k, T9, Sand Gold Metallic (SOLD)
89 XR4Ti, 74k, C3, Diamond White (SOLD)
ohnoes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ohnoes »

Well, I need to replace my mount before then, first thing.

And I need to clean the interior and exterior BADLY. I mistreated it during the winter :'(
Emily
89' Scorpio
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Pff. Don't bother washing the car! I'll be showing up with primer on several body panels. I haven't washed the XR since I painted it... :lol:
Instagram @colinrdoyle
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Colin wrote:Pff. Don't bother washing the car! I'll be showing up with primer on several body panels.
I washed my car prior to one Carlisle. That was the first one I went to in 1997. I might have washed Connie's red 88 before we went in 98, but it still had the highway grime on it on the showfield. I stopped taking cleaning supplies in 99. What was the point? There's too much to do to worry about cleaning the car. Maybe if my XRs were super clean I'd clean them. I guess this means when I show up next year in the 34,000 mile XR I won this year it's going to have to be clean.

(Notice I didn't use any emoticons after that last sentence? That's because I'm being serious, not funny. :shock: )
www.mc2racing.com