"Was It As Good For You As It Was For Me?"

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 3-5, 2005.
Merkur Club web site
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

"Was It As Good For You As It Was For Me?"

Post by Ed Lijewski »

[Lengthy sound of exhaling tracked by cigarette smoke fills the room..............]: It Was THE BEST EVER!

YMMV 8)
ztee24
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ztee24 »

Nice seeing you again!!!! :D
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

You little beyatch....YOU WERE FRIGGIN' IRRESISTIBLE (somehow I managed up enough self-control, since Fastmaul kept his eagle eyes on me like a hawk!) :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:

YMMV 8)
ztee24
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ztee24 »

HAAHAAHAA.....you crazy!!!

Too bad, we spoke so late....
How was your ride home?
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

My rides home (I made two/TWO round trips to Carlisle from Bethesda, MD last weekend) were great! One after the banquet (I like to sleep in my own bed and I'm ~110 miles from Carlisle or two hours) and the other yesterday after the events at the grandstand with the car giveaway. No problems, good gas mileage (PE and Big VAM and IC workin' well, better'n than ever)--~22mpg in an auto tranny car pushing 80 mph always and above lots of the time. Diced with a few other XR 'Merks for much of the way--it was cat and mouse, I let them lead since they'd break the radar beam before me, at least I hoped it'd work out that way if any highway patrol dudes were working those roadways. Both rides--up and back--were wonderful; I fully enjoyed them. I even had a ride to Harrisburg airport and back late Sunday morning to take John Brennan to his plane ride home to Phoenix. Lots of good Merkin' took place last weekend.

And I was really really glad that as luck and circumstance had it that we ended up standing in front of the grandstand near enough to say Hello!

I hope you ride home was even better :!: Your car is georgeous :!: :wink:

YMMV 8)
tvissoc
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tvissoc »

Good to see you too, Ed. After you and John B left me installing my AF Meter, I drove my 425 mile trip back to OH. I got 32 mpg running rich. Do the math, but I got home in 6 hours. Made one pee/fuel stop.

Tony, the other ChestNut, Vissoc
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Wow! 32mpg at really decent speed is impressive--and running rich at that! I'm thinking you might have the auto XR rear end (3.56 or 3.64?) to get that kind of mileage, right? :wink:

YMMV
tvissoc
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tvissoc »

Re: gas mileage.

Combo: Stock engine with Tbird SC intercooler, big VAM and LA3. T5 and auto rear. Fresh brakes and good alignment.

I almost thought I'd missed a fuel receipt, but all are accounted for. I had similar results in '99 when I tracked my mileage.

Normally, I get 23mpg for my 75/25 highway/town driving.

Tony
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Hey, everyone-- I had a PHENOMENAL time-- what a great bunch of folks. Special thanks to Wilky, without whom I wouldn't have been there at all, and to Ed, who took my sorry ass to the airport, even after doing all that driving, and with time being of the essense, etc. Just know that what goes around, comes around, and when any of you comes around to MY neck of the woods, I'll be honored to show you around/pick you up/drop you off/put you up, or whatever is needed.

My only regret is that my car wasn't there with me, especially for her 20th birthday Saturday. Oh, well-- there'll be other birthdays; like Boxer said, "I will work harder" to make it happen in the future.

Thanks as well to all the Admin Staff who made everything happen so smoothly. Everything was perfect, really. 8)
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
SvoSierra
Level 5
Level 5

Third time, best yet

Post by SvoSierra »

Third time in Carlisle, best yet for me. 20 yrs old for the 85 XR, and I had to bring my "best" one (multi-colored). It made the trip there and back with no problems. I'm already trying to think what progress I need on this car for next year. Cossie body parts, finished interior, re-done steering and suspension, paint job (nah, that can wait!), modified engine, what should I do?!?!?!?!?!

It's looking like my son, father, and my in-laws might make the trip next year as well. Also I better start looking for an 88 Scorpio to drive in 2008. :D

FYI, we can not commit to the gathering in Ohio on Labor day weekend, only because the 3rd is our wedding day and we'll need time to recover.

-Brian
XR and Scorpio blower motor rebuilding, LED upgrades, XR lock service
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Thanks to everyone for making my first Carlisle a great one! It was awesome to meet all these people I've been talking to for a couple years... kinda funny to compare how everyone ACTUALLY is to how they seemed in my mind's eye. :lol:

Taryn, your car was SOOOOOOOOOOO nice! Good god! WOWZERS. And Erik, your door panels spurred an industrial-strength brainstorming session between Shawn Mangan and I concerning CF parts that could be made for an XR. I think he's going to make a CF sunroof delete panel now. :lol: Seeing all the PM Motorsports cars really gave me some inspiration to finish my new engine. Huge thanks to Muffa and Alex for letting me take detailed pics of their Volvo head conversions. :) Thanks to Jerry for the excellent convoy. Sorry for leading those cars the wrong way when we came out of the Crackerbarrel... then making you guys wait for us and pissing off the truckers. :shock: Last but certainly not least, thank you quirkymerk for wearing a white shirt in the rain. :lol:

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Colin: share your picture of QuirkyMerk in that T-shirt :!: :!: :mrgreen:

YMMV 8)
turboxr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turboxr »

CheeRS to everyone I met at Carlisle! Wilky, nice to finally chat with you mate! Brennen: an honor to finally meet you! Colin- great finally meeting the man behind the madness. Everyone else: loved meeting you guys that I've talked to so much. Thanks for your kind words and wonderful friendly spirit!

Finally, Erik and Taryn- without you guys, my trip wouldn't have been half what it was. You guys are amazing and I thank you for all your help and the wonderful car I now own. Erik, you're a good friend that I hope to have for many years to come. Taryn, I love you hun.

Wonderful time! It COULD NOT have been better!
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

Ed Lijewski wrote:Colin: share your picture of QuirkyMerk in that T-shirt :!: :!:
If only I had had the camera with me at the time! I'm too much of a gentleman, though. :lol:

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
MerkurRS
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MerkurRS »

Glad to see all the great comments! I am sure glad the weather was great Sat&Sun. :D
On the way home I connected with the NY gang, what a blast. It was quite a pleasure to be in such great company, Hal, Eric, Taryn etc. You guys/gal sure know how to fly (pun intended) I hope my sorry ass non-turbo Scorpio didn't hold you all up too much.
For those who missed the interview- keep you eyes open for the next showing of Cars at Carlisle. They interviewed me and took much footage of our cars! I hope at least half of it makes onto the show!
I can't wait to see everyone at the next event!
2012 Audi S4 Prestige, Black-Optics, APR tuned - runs low-11's
1989 Scorpio-White, a/t- a true survivor car!
1988 Scorpio - Burgundy, a/t- a low mileage survivor!
2004 VW Passat Sedan -W8 6-Speed
2003 VW Passat Variant W8 Auto
1970 Ford XL 390 ci. Convertible
1970 Ford XL 429-4v Convertible
2000 Excursion V10