Anyone like their Chromebook?

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Re: Anyone like their Chromebook?

Post by Ed Lijewski » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:13 pm

So my Samsung Chromebook lost its Chrome browser support a week or so ago (expired/EOL support after ~ close to 6 years).

Today I connected my Samsung S5 with Chrome and Firefox browsers to my Chromebook via the tethering function.

Et Voila, everything I've tried accessing via the Chromebook works normally.

Happy Camper here :headbang .
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!

morlynon

Post by morlynon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:47 am

I got my Chromebook two years ago and so far I have no complaints.

zxr250cc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zxr250cc » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Another possible solution is to get an older but still good laptop that had Windows XP or 7 on it and use Linux. I think some of us mentioned that before. I have updated a couple of older laptops for a friend doing that. I used Open Suse 15 with the KDE desktop on his 64 bit dual core CPU/2.5GHZ chipset Acer laptop with 2GB of ram and it runs fast and well. I have an older Gateway 32 bit computer with 2.8GHZ single CPU Pentium of his that I have loaded Linux Mint 19 on and it runs great also. It had 1GB of ram but older ram is cheap so I bought a 1GB chipset for $13 and it has 1.5GB now (all it can support) and runs very well. I ordered a new battery for that for ~$30 and it will be good to go with a LTS release with support till 2023. (Long Term Service) Linux is secure, social and free...

www.opensuse.org
www.linuxmint.com

Oh, bye the way, Android is a based off Linux, I believe.

Cheers
1986 XR4Ti Mineral Blue Metallic
1999 Taurus SE 24v DOHC Spruce Green
2004 SVT ZX5 Focus EAP Screaming Yellow