Thinking about buying a new Merkury

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

You assume way too much, and, like most folks, put people in pigeonholes based on how they feel about this or that. Has it ever occurred to you that some people are free thinkers who will agree with those whom they believe are right about a given issue, but disagree on others and feel no need to belong to any particular club, belief system, or label?

I don't feel compelled to be a Liberal, a Conservative, a Democrat or a Republican... I don't need some Grand Poobah of the Water Buffalo to do my thinking for me.

I like IC cars because if done right, they pollute very little, and because the infrastructure is highly developed, is in place, and it works.

I would like to see us move on to other, more important agendas, such as the conquest of space, which is very sadly and pathetically languishing while we screw around with nonsense down here.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

You assume way too much, and, like most folks, put people in pigeonholes based on how they feel about this or that. Has it ever occurred to you that some people are free thinkers who will agree with those whom they believe are right about a given issue, but disagree on others and feel no need to belong to any particular club, belief system, or label?
I totally agree, and it happens to me all the time, which is really frustrating. I mainly did it, on purpose, to put you and Ed in the same pigeonhole. That was fun. Heh heh.

Its a pisser that we, as a goverment, waste money on things that we, as single citizens, find stupid or wasteful. I personally think that the ma$$ive amount of money that we wasted on the Iraq war could have been much better spent on education, prisons, cash for clunkers, wind farms, cap'n trade, and not necessarily in that order. That's my opinion.

I am sure that there are citizens out there who think that we got a pretty good deal on the money we "invested in the war on terrorism in defeating Saddam since he was behind 9-11." Whatever, to each his own.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

merkurmaniac wrote:
I am sure that there are citizens out there who think that we got a pretty good deal on the money we "invested in the war on terrorism in defeating Saddam since he was behind 9-11." Whatever, to each his own.
I'm sure they'd all pipe in on this if there wasn't a Nascar race on today. :?
Great thread.... :D
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

There was? Had no idea. Was busy flipping between Spain and Sonoma. What's NASCAR?
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
mangostick
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mangostick »

Non
Athletic
Sport
Centered
Around
Rednecks

NASCAR :D
where'd I put that damned hammer?? :-D

Shawn Mangan
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

John Brennan wrote:There was? Had no idea. Was busy flipping between Spain and Sonoma. What's NASCAR?
I really didn't know if there was or not, John. I just figured it'd be a safe bet to say there was. Aren't they kinda like baseball games during the season?
NASCAR is stock car racing. All the manufacturers showcase their latest developments, and use it as a test bed to improve their products. Other than tires and suspension tweaks, this it the same stuff you can buy off the showroom floor. It's intended to show that you don't need some fancy "You're-a-pee-in'" tube frame thing to go racin' where the cars all look the same.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Oh... OK, now I remember. I think they stopped doing that about twenty or thirty years ago, though...
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

Hold on. You mean the ford taurus doesn't come with a lexan windshield, , RWD, and a cargo net for a driver's window ?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Ironically enough, I just read something yesterday that indicates that NASCAR is finally planning on implementing fuel injection, probably for 2011. The article had a quote from some guy at Toyota, who had the audacity to say something like, "It's important that the race cars are as close to the street cars as possible." I hope he fell over laughing after making that comment - I'd at least have some shred of respect for him at that point.

Who knows what Ford part is on every NASCAR car?
Brad
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Who knows what Ford part is on every NASCAR car?
The differential/rear end?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

anglin wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Who knows what Ford part is on every NASCAR car?
The differential/rear end?
Correct. The Ford 9.0 is rather ubiquitously used throughout a lot of different racing series, not just NASCAR.
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

What, y'mean my neighbor's Camry isn't carburated, and RWD???
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

merkurmaniac wrote:Dunno about that. Its quite corrosive. Most of the piping was Nickel or Titanium. That was cool. In nature it typically exists as a salt, and I bet its not much worse than the other two salts that it was found with, IIRC magnesium and sodium. We usually aren't too worried about those as pollutants. Those salt lakes in Argentina had salt crusts that were many feet thick. The brine was easier to deal with, rather than the solid salt.
Strange that Diamondback didn't raise the pollutant issue about the proliferation of lithium batteries powering computers, cameras, LED flashlights, toys, and anything else using AA and other standard size batteries as well. It's a safe bet that ~98% or more of such depleted ones find their way into landfills, roadsides, watercourses, etc., notwithstanding that the amount of lithium they contain in individual button batteries, e.g., is microscopic, ita ll adds up. Clearly, lithium car batteries being enveloped in cases will, when depleted and changed out for fresh ones, be able to be accounted for and handled (recycled) more efficiently.

merkurmaniac wrote:I am sure that if you dig deep enough, there must be a conspiracy somewhere. Maybe there is an embarassing out of control goverment subsidy, or perhaps some bit of irony that would make good play on Fox news. Sounds like a good research job.

Diamondback don't need to do no stinkin' research to declaim the existence of a perceived conspiracy.

merkurmaniac wrote:Its odd that I am the proponent of mining and reaping the bennefits of capitalism and expecting market forces to solve the battery problems, while Ed is worried about protecting the impoverished masses of Bolivia from the greedy imperialistic nare-do-wells. Ironic since I am apparently the "liberal greenie weenie global govt lefty enviro-alarmist sucker" and you and your brother Ed, having bof been cut from the same cloth, are the "lazie faire, screw the environment, drill now and let the little guy get the hell out of the way" folks. Its enuff to make my pea-brain hurt. I might need a Xanax, whatever that is. I hope its not some "call a doctor if the swelling doesn't go down in four hours thing."
Wrongo, heat and humidity affected Houston-wacko; about me, at least. My few and brief references to leftist Evo Morales and the raw deal Bolivians have received from minerals--silver, oil, gas, and more--extracted from the country by foreign interests with or without complicit government blessing/involvement was not to indicate my support for the current clampdown on US private investments, there but to underline that there is a new mood among the formerly disenfranchised indigenous majority in Bolivia that will demand different terms and conditions for natural resource mining and extraction than operated earlier. Nonetheless, being a true Conservative and near-Libertarian, my philosophy and instincts as well always line up along side of private enterprise over government enterprise, or strict government constraints on private enterprise.

Lithium, FWIW, appears to have a number of other commercial uses; re recyclablilty, the issue may be whether the form lithium is in when a lithium battery is depleted is amenable to recovery and recycling. Any chemists here?

YMMV 8)
Last edited by Ed Lijewski on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

Diamondback
??? You lost me there...
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

John Brennan. Aridzona Man. Conspiracy Uncoverer par excellence.

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!