Buick Regal GS AWD 255HP 4-cyl Turbo

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Buick Regal GS AWD 255HP 4-cyl Turbo

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Nice step in the right direction, but I don't think I could own it. It is after all, a Buick.

http://jalopnik.com/5441716/buick-regal ... e=true&s=i

Brad
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Is that a manual transmission shifter I see there? Perhaps it's just an automatic transmission shifter prepared to look like something it isn't.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

anglin wrote:Is that a manual transmission shifter I see there? Perhaps it's just an automatic transmission shifter prepared to look like something it isn't.
DETROIT – With an estimated 255 turbocharged horsepower (190 kW), a six-speed manual transmission and an advanced, adaptive all-wheel-drive system, the Buick Regal GS show car is a high-tech, high-performance version of the brand's newest sport sedan. It was introduced at the 2010 North American International Auto Show.

The mechanical elements were developed with the aim of delivering a driving experience that is sporting, confidence-inspiring and refined. It has a performance-oriented drivetrain, a lowered body and lower center of gravity. Exterior and interior cues include two additional vertical front air intakes; large, forged aluminum 20-inch wheels and performance tires; a racing-inspired sport steering wheel and metal pedals. Recaro high-performance front seats feature four-way lumbar support and cushion extensions.

Keep in mind, this is a "show car", so let's see if they leave all this in there for the production version.
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Never happen.
I'm sure it'll get deleted from the build sheet as soon as they figure out who, if anyone, would buy such a contraption.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote:Never happen.
I'm sure it'll get deleted from the build sheet as soon as they figure out who, if anyone, would buy such a contraption.
That would be a shame. After all, I already called dibs on the Recaro seats for the first one that gets totalled. :twisted:
Brad
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

I knew this looked familiar... Top gear did a drive on the Vauxhall Insignia VXR this past weekend, which is essentially the same car except for the engine (turbo V6 vs turbo 4cyl).

Could be a very real possibility considering everything already exists in GM's part's bins.
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
sindri-b

Post by sindri-b »

If this is the same engine as in the Opel astra OPC then this is one hell of an car.. the astra is by far the most fun I have had in fwd car. And is probably one of the best seller hothatches here in iceland
1985 Merkur xr4ti Rosso Red
megasquirt
1,3 bar
stage 3 clutch

Sindri Bessason
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:DETROIT – With an estimated 255 turbocharged horsepower (190 kW), a six-speed manual transmission and an advanced, adaptive all-wheel-drive system...

Anglin's reading skillz FTL.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

When asked whether buyers would embrace a manual transmission in a Buick, GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz said that performance option is an essential agreement on any credible sports sedan, regardless of the take rate.

And yes, this car is a re-badged Opel Insignia OPC with a different engine. Hmmm, wonder how readily swap-able an Opel front facia might be? I just can't see me driving something with a Buick badge.
Brad
whitelx
Level 7
Level 7

Post by whitelx »

GM brought the Astra over under the Saturn badge, but interestingly, did not change the name. They also have a nice looking "XR" badge on the back.

Wonder what will happen to the Astra now that Saturn is gone. Probably gone like the Pontiac G8. :(

I can't help but wonder if GM does produce this car if that will trigger Ford to put the 2.3 DI Turbo engine from the Mazdaspeed 3 into the Fusion with AWD. Basically making the Mazdaspeed 6 in a Fusion body.
1986 XR4Ti - 294rwhp/315ft-lbs
1992 Mustang 5.0 notch - 434rwhp/445ft-lbs
http://www.youtube.com/user/whitelx
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Hmmm, wonder how readily swap-able an Opel front facia might be? I just can't see me driving something with a Buick badge.
I think yes....

Brad
IceColdMikey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by IceColdMikey »

lol...those are a chopped version of the same picture. Danged mfrs are cutting back!
Mike
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

IceColdMikey wrote:lol...those are a chopped version of the same picture. Danged mfrs are cutting back!
True. It's kinda funny, as the Photochopped Buick version of the pic is hitting all the mags like it's the real deal. It'll be interesting to see what's actually on display this week in Detroit.

You think about it, this car does have some parallels to the Merkur. It's a well-awarded Euro car from an American company, with Bob Lutz as the top dog pitch man.
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:You think about it, this car does have some parallels to the Merkur. It's a well-awarded Euro car from an American company, with Bob Lutz as the top dog pitch man.
Doomed. :?
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
MFND
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MFND »

Mike McCreight wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:You think about it, this car does have some parallels to the Merkur. It's a well-awarded Euro car from an American company, with Bob Lutz as the top dog pitch man.
Doomed. :?

Don't worry, in 25 years it will have a huge following, and you will have one in the garage and 3 in the backyard for parts.
My first car was a 1980 Fiesta S. It's time I owned another German Ford.
1988 Mono-White. 5.0