Buick Regal GS AWD 255HP 4-cyl Turbo

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

MFND wrote:Don't worry, in 25 years it will have a huge following, and you will have one in the garage and 3 in the backyard for parts.
....and a mint set of Recaros from the GS version will be more valuable than the car itself! :lol:
Brad
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

255HP + AWD + Buick pig = not a whole lot of fun.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
BeefFajitas
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BeefFajitas »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
MFND wrote:Don't worry, in 25 years it will have a huge following, and you will have one in the garage and 3 in the backyard for parts.
....and a mint set of Recaros from the GS version will be more valuable than the car itself! :lol:
... and a $5,000 scanner to diagnose all the problems.

New cars are getting way beyond the back yard mechanic.
-Nate
'85 Merk. Back together. Only thing stock is the head and block.
yottabit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by yottabit »

I don't see any projected curb weights and that's kind of scary... :x

~4000 lbs with AWD drivetrain loss could make 255 hp inadequate and I certainly wouldn't put it past a Buick...
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Keep in mind, it's an Opel with a Buick badge stuck on it.

3314 lbs w/ the V6 Turbo. The Ecotec probably drops that number by 100 lbs. The only question then is how much weight gets added back in to the North American version. Typically, there's not a big difference like there was back in the 80's.
Brad
Freejack
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Freejack »

If that is the case, it will be a couple hundred pounds lighter, and have as much or more power than many cars in the same class (A4, 328i)

Jake
Jake Schnarre
In the St. Louis area? Join the St. Louis Area Merkur Owners Network (SLAMON) - http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/slamon/
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Freejack wrote:If that is the case, it will be a couple hundred pounds lighter, and have as much or more power than many cars in the same class (A4, 328i)
My exact thought Jake. I was pretty surprised to find that it only weighed that much - a few hundred pounds less than the A4. I just wish they would have rotated the drive-train around 90 degrees like an Audi. One of the complaints on the V6 Insignia is that it's nose-heavy, which turned out to be further justification for the lighter Ecotec.

Still, I struggle with the thought of owning a Buick; even one I'd immediately de-badge and replace the nose with an Opel piece.
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Freejack wrote:If that is the case, it will be a couple hundred pounds lighter, and have as much or more power than many cars in the same class (A4, 328i)

Jake
What, it'll weigh LESS than the (4200+ pounds! :shock: ) Taurus SHO?
Sporty. :roll:
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote:What, it'll weigh LESS than the (4200+ pounds! :shock: ) Taurus SHO?
Jake is suggesting it will weigh 1000 lbs less than the (not so) sporty Taurus SHO. If true, that'll be pretty impressive by today's weighty standards.

Just keep the Buick guys away from the interior - in fact, just keep them away from the car entirely and sell it here as an Opel.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

First Buick to make the Motor Trend cover page in 28 years....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sed ... index.html

Note this line... :lol:

...the track record for American automakers attempting to leverage their European-market product portfolios Stateside has been somewhat less successful. Remember the Merkur?
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

This thing continues to get nothing but positive press. Maybe I could take the Buick badge off and replace it with Merkur. :lol:

http://jalopnik.com/5529960/driving-the ... e=true&s=i
Brad
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

When are these going for sale and what dealerships are going to carry them? I dont even KNOW of a buick dealership near here.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

demonfire wrote:When are these going for sale and what dealerships are going to carry them? I dont even KNOW of a buick dealership near here.
The first ones have recently arrived in showrooms, but I'm pretty sure it's just the N/A models with slush-box. The 6-speed and GS models come later. And yes, I have no idea where the nearest Buick dealer is either ...okay, just checked - looks like the old Pontiac dealer is now a Buick dealer. But don't I need to be 20 years older before walking in there???

Update - response from dealer...
Hi I'm Marty from Buick GMC of Mahwah. We are getting are first one in next Tuesday.
Brad