Who's ready for $5 gas?

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
Afterimage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Afterimage »

Mike McCreight wrote: IMHO is why we have a government, not to raise taxes, increase the size of the government, and spend our $ so foolishly that it becomes apparent that they're totally out of touch with reality, and their purpose in society. (deep breath)
Supposed to be people employed by us to look out for our interests, like keeping rampant gouging in check, on a commodity that has a shotgun/domino effect on the economy, hurting mostly the end user who can least afford it.
This is a leading theory, one I certainly subscribe to, as to why we have a government.
Unless you have the money to pay for the candidates election commercials, why the hell should he care about you? Another good thing to point out is who pays for these campaigns.
Compare here who paid for the campaigns of Obama and McCain at the same damn time.
http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/contr ... cycle=2008
http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/contr ... cycle=2008

Notice Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, etc etc.

How I got here on a car forum in a thread about gas prices, dont ask, but now that I have all the links pulled, I might as well post.
landonnin1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by landonnin1 »

you say welcome to the prices the rest of the world pays then I guess Venezuela is giving everyone the middle finger on this at 12 cents a gallon
damn them :lol: I wonder were the top of the rise is going to be for this summer
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

Just did my weekly run over to the reserve in Niagara Falls, NY

Outside the reserve was $3.89/gal
Reserve $3.74/gal works out to .99/lt

Gas over here this morning $1.35/lt ( $5.10/US gal)

Still think you have it bad????????
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
Rocky Leitch
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rocky Leitch »

$4.19 out here on the West Cost. My XR is my daily driver. My commute is about 6 min., but this is just as expensive as a long commute because Mycroft really doesn't warm up in between start and stop. So what do we do... suck up, tank up and go gravel driving. :) It gets us out of our norm. and we have fun and enjoy our day in the woods. We have fun at the expense of my car. Afterward, tighten everything back up on the undercarriage, inspect for damage control (muffler is a little worse for ware) and cont. on with life. What can be better than that! :D

Later, Rocky
Hellooo Nurse!!
xr super n00b
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xr super n00b »

i filled my cavalier up a couple days ago when it was 3.89....48 bucks, and i thought to myself...this is insanity...the very next day on my way to work i noticed it was 4.15....so glad i filled up when i did.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Crude oil is selling for less than it did 3 years ago.
Days ago, oil companies recorded record profits for the quarter.
Taxes in Canada represent roughly 1/3 of what we pay at the pump.
Let's face it, we don't need to look at 9-11 or Obama's birth certificate to find a conspiracy. :roll:
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I thought our gov't promised to "fix" the market manipulation which is, once again, what's going on here. I suspect we'll have another free-fall in prices just like we did in the Fall of 2008; hopefully we don't have to wait until Fall 2011 for it to happen though.
Brad
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Mike McCreight wrote:Crude oil is selling for less than it did 3 years ago.
Days ago, oil companies recorded record profits for the quarter.
Taxes in Canada represent roughly 1/3 of what we pay at the pump.
Let's face it, we don't need to look at 9-11 or Obama's birth certificate to find a conspiracy. :roll:
Indeed-- well put and quite true. The mother of them all is the international banking cartels-- not to digress into that, but scoffers at conspiracies in general need to have their noses rubbed in the hard reality of that 900-lb. gorilla before they wish to expound any further on the unlikelihood of "conspiracies."

Gas seems to be holding steady here at between $3.60-$4.00/gallon for the range of the three grades. I try to buy my gas in, uh, 'non-upscale' sections of town; it's usually at least $0.20 less per gallon that way. As my side business takes me to all the places truck yards and concrete plants are likely to be, that works out. But consolidating trips and conserving fuel has become a necessary part of my business strategy.
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
ckanani
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ckanani »

Filled up the old warhorse today @$4.45 gal. for 87 octane. On the neighbor Islands anywhere from $4.70 to $5.10 gal. And seeing that virtually everything here is either brought in by ship or airplane...well I think you know where this is going. As the saying here goes "you gotta pay to live in paradise". At least I live within walking distance to the beach. Aloha!
Charles