Who's ready for $5 gas?

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
FASTBACK69
Level 1
Level 1

Who's ready for $5 gas?

Post by FASTBACK69 »

Well rumor has it we'll be looking at 5 bucks for one gallon of gasoline this summer. So probey closer to 6 bucks for octane 93. So what are you doing to get ready for it? Tips? Tricks?[/quote]
murdomino
Level 2
Level 2

Post by murdomino »

Going to invest in a nice Carbon Fiber Felt F-1 i think. Pricey up front but from the savings at the pump and the close 11mile round trip for work it will be alot healthier and benificial for me. Plus it doesnt seem like which vehicle i drive, i get 200 miles per tank of fuel so just gonna park em during the week
FASTBACK69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FASTBACK69 »

Think my main issue is going to be cutting back on my driving. I enjoy taking a drive on nice days to relax and enjoy all the work I put in through out the winter on my toys. Probley have to cut back on trips to the drag strip as well.
divinez
Level 2
Level 2

Post by divinez »

murdomino wrote:Going to invest in a nice Carbon Fiber Felt F-1 i think. Pricey up front but from the savings at the pump and the close 11mile round trip for work it will be alot healthier and benificial for me. Plus it doesnt seem like which vehicle i drive, i get 200 miles per tank of fuel so just gonna park em during the week
:shock: that's an expensive bike!
zac.
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

i'm probably just gonna invest in some industrial strength anal-lube.
ian the re-animator
blizboy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blizboy »

I commute 43 miles one way but I don't see cutting back. You can cry all you want but the oil companies are in charge. The only thing I might do more of is work 4 days a week. When the weather is warmer I'll ride my bike. Of course it takes premium too. The only other thing is to raise my prices like everyone else. Suck it up people, we've been on the cheap gas gravy train longer than anywhere else on the planet for a long time unless you live in Saudi Arabia or Venezuela!
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

This is going to put a damper on how much i can race - since i tow, and normally go thru 50 bucks+ in fuel in a weekend ( @ $3 / gal) just to get to the track and back. 11mpg sucks.

Not much i can do with the daily except trade it in on a better fuel mileage car (AWD plus turbo = low 20's if i'm being good)... but that will give me a car payment and will negate fuel savings for a few years.

So i'm going to do what Ian is going to do; invest in industrial strength anal lube.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
bw_krupp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bw_krupp »

Might have to figure out the weird charging issue with the Geo soon then.
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

Welcome to the rest of the world fuel pricing.
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
86XR4Ti5SPD
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 86XR4Ti5SPD »

xrian wrote:Welcome to the rest of the world fuel pricing.
Yeah, problem is most of the rest of the world live in countries much smaller than the state of Texas. That compact geography has always made mass transit a logical alternative, whereas our wide open spaces and burbs have made MT a last-choice option.

The much bigger issue is what that $5 a gallon does to EVERYTHING else we consume. Hold on to your jock straps boys and girls (hey, it's a new world out there), it's gonna be a rough ride. But at least Obama's oil buddies are making out big time. Oooops, sorry...wrong party in power for that story line.
Ed, Nashville
98 SVT Cobra, 1-owner 33K-mile convertible bought 8/15
86 5-spd, Solid Roof, sold 9/15 with 62K miles
03 SVTF #1965 of 3985, sold 9/15 with 68K miles
http://www.86xr4ti5spd.homestead.com
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

I worry what this will do to our cost of food, which is MUCH less than the rest of the world.

:cry:
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

blizboy wrote:I commute 43 miles one way but I don't see cutting back. You can cry all you want but the oil companies are in charge. The only thing I might do more of is work 4 days a week. When the weather is warmer I'll ride my bike. Of course it takes premium too. The only other thing is to raise my prices like everyone else. Suck it up people, we've been on the cheap gas gravy train longer than anywhere else on the planet for a long time unless you live in Saudi Arabia or Venezuela!
Yeah, it's 23 for me, plus a bunch of driving around to various jobs-after-my-job.

The irony of your last sentence is that we are sitting on more oil than both of them put together-- far more, actually.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
IceColdMikey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by IceColdMikey »

Quit yer bitchin'!

It's already $5.07/gal here this morning, and that's for 87!
Mike
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

$4.53/US gallon here today. :roll:
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
bw_krupp
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bw_krupp »

$5/gall is still cheap. $8/gall would be middle of the road, with $20/gall the high end (from what I remember when oil peaked at $150/barrel). On a side note, I know that a lot of people from both parties attacked Obama from his speech where he called for new high speed rail with "who's going to use it?" Well...(implication hangs in air).