I caught a thief last week

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

I caught a thief last week

Post by RatFink » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:16 pm

I had an interesting week last week to say the least. As some of you know, I work for a race team and travel all over. last week we were in Vegas. I had parked our race car and a support truck in what I thought was a secure parking area, guarded at night by "Security". Thursday morning, about 4:30am, I go to pick up our car to enter tech and as I am walking up with one of our team mates, I notice feet under the front of our support truck. I pointed it out to my friend and quickly and quietly snuck up to the front of the truck. When I get to the corner, I can see this guy squatted down, going through our tools. I say, "What do you think you are doing?" <edit...The names and places have been changed to protect the innocent> to the ground. He scrambles back to his feet and starts to run away as I catch him in a head lock and wrestle him to the ground. My friend jumps on his back and grabs his hands, so he is restrained and I grabbed some of those nice thick zip ties and we zip tie his hands and feet and set him there while the cops come. We were able to get surveillance video from the cameras in the lot and they show him trying to get in the truck and going through tool boxes and spares totes in the back of our truck. It felt good to finally catch one of these guys. All too often, we just come out to our stuff missing.
Last edited by RatFink on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Llewellyn

"You can never turn a pig into a race horse, but with enough development you can have a pretty damn fast pig".
Randy Pobst

I just love this guy:
hEaT wrote:Bit more work, but saved me $100 and I got to learn things, cut things, burn things and hammer things. All in all, a solid move.

Esteban
Level 7
Level 7

Re: I caught a thief last week

Post by Esteban » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:32 pm

:notworthy :cheers :headbang
Did he actually take anything and was coming back for seconds?

Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Good job! :cheers
This is ONE area in which I agree with Islamic law. Most folks I know won't apprehend a criminal these days. Too many lawyers.
I did stop a thief MANY years ago, when I was much more athletic. Idiot was removing the LR wheel from a pal's GTO. I landed with both feet between his shoulder blades, might have set a record for the broad jump. His face did quite a bit of damage to the 1/4 panel. I bet he still talks funny.
When the cop finally showed up, he mentioned that I might get charged with assault. I expained that what with the guy being roughly 2x my size I wasn't about to arm wrestle with him. Apparently I was supposed to just sit back, call police, then get a case # for insurance purposes. After some turd drops a '67 GTO on it's drums.... :roll:
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Pics? :mrgreen:

Good job, but how's your hand?
Brad

Loc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Loc » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:49 pm

Well done sir. I expecialy like the Zip ties. Thats what we used in Iraq when we caught a terrorist.
Dave.
I Ask, Merkur-To V8 or not to V8? Answer, BOTH !!!!!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 389&type=1

RatFink
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RatFink » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Here you go Brad. Sorry about the picture quality, I could hardly hold still after all that.
Jeff, he had taken tool boxes from the back of the truck and had stuff in his hands when I saw him.
He had also broken into another truck in the lot and had tools from that truck all laid out ready to go.
Daniel Llewellyn

"You can never turn a pig into a race horse, but with enough development you can have a pretty damn fast pig".
Randy Pobst

I just love this guy:
hEaT wrote:Bit more work, but saved me $100 and I got to learn things, cut things, burn things and hammer things. All in all, a solid move.

Firefox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Firefox » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:00 pm

I assume most of the facial injury and blood is from his getaway attempt and subsequent tackling? All in all, nice job. Good to see you stood up for yourself.

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:59 am

Note to self... Cancel plans to move to California and become a tool thief. :haha

Did the scumbag have anything further to say after you tied him up, or was he too scared to think you'd beat him with a hammer at that point? :mrgreen:
Brad

DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:54 pm

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Note to self... Cancel plans to move to California and become a tool thief. :haha

Did the scumbag have anything further to say after you tied him up, or was he too scared to think you'd beat him with a hammer at that point? :mrgreen:
Doesn't look like he was talking much at all.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:23 pm

You know the difference between justice, and punishment?

:cheers

Nice work.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com

jkxr4ti
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jkxr4ti » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Reminds me of the night i chased the kids down with a prybar who were playing knock knock ditch. All those years in track payed off! They were a little surprised to say the least.

Way to go with the tiewraps, I would have payed to see that!!!
Merkur....Its German for Mutt....Mustang, Saab, Volvo, Lincoln, Contour, Cummins... and the list goes on.

Jeremy Kemp

1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI

Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:59 am

Nice work. Last year, a buddy of mine had a bunch of stereo equipment stolen out of one of the party buses I helped him build... I've got no love for thieves. You're a better man than I for calling the cops; I'd use bolt cutters to make sure he could never steal again.
Colin Doyle
'89 Scorpio | Volvo B234F head | Holset HX35 | Megasquirt | T5 | 8.8 IRS | mc²racing suspension
File to fit, paint to match.