2013/2014 Focus St owners...

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

2013/2014 Focus St owners...

Post by turboplz »

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 2014 Focus ST and curious about the real-world feedback from members on here that have one. I've test driven a full blow-ST3 optioned one and loved the Recaro seats, but I'm not sure if they will be more of an annoyance on any trip more than 30 minutes. I'm also concerned about the room available in the back seat area as I have a four and five year old in booster seats.

The one thing that really disappointed me was the lack of space in the hatch....I don't think I could fit four medium sized suitcases back there for vacation trips to Florida. Has anyone looked into maybe a soft cloth cargo carrier for the top?

I'm looking forward to this car a lot, just have those few concerns.
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
Father Adam
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 2013/2014 Focus St owners...

Post by Father Adam »

We looked at a Focus a coupe of years ago as a family car, but we too found the space limited for us; your family might find the ride a bit harsh too...

:cheers
1989 Ford Granada Scorpio

http://adamsgranadablog.weebly.com/

hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

I'll have had my 2013 ST for a year come this Saturday. I have to go out and shovel, but will write something tonight or tomorrow for you.

Quickly though I LOVE the Recaros and any base model Focus roof rack will work on the ST. Interior room I also notice is greatly diminished due to the full-size spare and sub. Much less than my Mk1 Focus even though the car is larger on the outside.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I didn't get the Focus ST, but did buy a base Fiesta SE, and I gotta say I wish I coulda gotten the upgraded seats. The base model seats are really hard. I slide down in them alittle(they're cloth even), but in the grand scheme of things still very comfortable for base model seats. The Focus I thought had a trunk about the same size as XR, but I'd have to look at my mom in laws Focus again...

I would have really liked the Fiesta ST, but it had a $10k price premium over the car I bought. And since I bought it with the intent of it being a no frills commuter car...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

A bit personal, but what's your build? Most medium and smaller build guys will be fine with the seats. Those that find them uncomfortable are either shorter or large builds. I'm 6' 160lbs and fit in them perfect. I've done 3+ hour drives without getting out of the car and zero discomfort. I've done over a dozen autox runs in Focus/Fiesta STs and the seats do well for a street/autox compromise.

Very isolated clutch and turbo issues, but no more than any other performance turbo car. Charge pipe couplers are a weak point as well, but easily fixed. The rear motor mount is the crappiest problem, but Ford has a TSB out to fix it. New cars come with the upgraded 3 motor mounts already.

I think I hit the cargo space earlier, but any questions let me know. From a practicality standpoint, that's my biggest pet peeve. It's less than my old Focus and although I haven't had an interior in the XR for a while, I feel like it's less.
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

My build is dead average, 5'11" 170lbs and I felt the seats were quite comfortable...I see it being a bit more of an issue for my wife though as she has more to love on than me :wink: I might try and find one that has the partial leather Recaros, those might be a good compromise.

What is the issue with charge pipes? Popping off I'm assuming?
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

I'm more hobbit sized, or maybe oversized hobbit :lol: About 5'7" and a buck 40 soaking wet. I have the SE, not ST, and in the SE seats is where I am sliding down a bit. I find I have to readjust up to 2 times per 30min commute. I need to play with the seat more, I've only got 1300 mis on the car in 27days... I've never had that problem in the XR, or the Scorpio, and certainly not in my XR now that I have my hybrid XR/Scorpio seats. In fact, I think the only other car I've had that problem in was an 06-07 Pontiac G6, I despised that car, good thing it was a rental for work...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

turboplz wrote:My build is dead average, 5'11" 170lbs and I felt the seats were quite comfortable...I see it being a bit more of an issue for my wife though as she has more to love on than me :wink: I might try and find one that has the partial leather Recaros, those might be a good compromise.

What is the issue with charge pipes? Popping off I'm assuming?
Yeah, due to crappy hose clamps and soft rubber.

RE: The seats. They both fit the same (ST3 full leather and ST2 partial). The only differences are the fabric, heat, and power adjust. They do wear in so if she's rides shotgun often, they will soften up. Even knowing my build, my driver's seat fits looser than my passenger seat from the decreased wear.