Gt350 2.3 turbo

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
thommi7

Gt350 2.3 turbo

Post by thommi7 »

I just got my hands on a 20th anniversary 1984 Mustang gt350 2.3 turbo, but haven't decided on what direction to take. I figured that I could go stock or set it up more like an SVO with some basic bolt ons. I already had an Xr4ti that I plan on tracking, so this this will be more for show.

Seeing that there were only 360 or so of these made, I'm tempted to keep it stock in hopes that it would be worth something. But 140hp won't be much fun, and the market up here in Alaska is pretty limited.

I guess my question is whether you guys feel that the stock version would be significantly more desirable, or if a lightly modified build (limited to bolt-ons) would be about the same value.

It doesn't currently have a motor. The body is in pretty decent shape apart from some dings and surface rust spots . Looks like the engine bay might have some after market wiring. The previous owner gave up on it because it had some electrical issues, so I might just replace all the wiring and leave out the guess work.

Thoughts?
1987 Merkur XR4TI - pending....

2006 Mazda MAZDASPEED6 - sway bars, sri, turbo inlet, track pipe, tune

2007 BMW x3 - DD
thommi7

Re: Gt350 2.3 turbo

Post by thommi7 »

Sorry, can't figure out how to attach pics. I'll try again from desctop

2007 BMW x3 - DD
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Any time you have something of a rara avis, my first recommendation would be for restoration over modification. I have no idea as to the desirability of these models on the market, but hey, that's what the Internet is for.

Hope you do figure out how to post up some pix, as I'm curious:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10212
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
MercMike
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MercMike »

That seems way to rare to mod. without an easy put back to stock option. Most of those were 5.0 V8's I think....which makes it rarer. With FOX bodies on the up I would think twice.
'85 XR
89 Scorpio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 89 Scorpio »

Seems like the things making this special is the red stripe on the exterior, the badge on the interior, recaro seats, and the TRX wheels. Everything else was available a standard GT model. Ford got in trouble with that car because GT350 was still owned by Shelby and thus why the moniker did not continue on into other years beyond 1984.

Most people in those days replaced the 2.3 with a 302 V8 (Might be why you had aftermarket wiring). They also got rid of the TRX wheels for something that did not require hard to find and expensive tires. Since you do not have the original motor and depending on the condition of the interior/exterior...I would lean towards modify it. Put in a 302 V8 like everyone else used to do in those days.

I see them for sale now between 3000 for average condition coupe with around 90K miles up to 10,000 for a 12,000 mile concourse quality convertible V8 version.

thommi7

Post by thommi7 »

89 Scorpio wrote:Seems like the things making this special is the red stripe on the exterior, the badge on the interior, recaro seats, and the TRX wheels. Everything else was available a standard GT model. Ford got in trouble with that car because GT350 was still owned by Shelby and thus why the moniker did not continue on into other years beyond 1984.

Most people in those days replaced the 2.3 with a 302 V8 (Might be why you had aftermarket wiring). They also got rid of the TRX wheels for something that did not require hard to find and expensive tires. Since you do not have the original motor and depending on the condition of the interior/exterior...I would lean towards modify it. Put in a 302 V8 like everyone else used to do in those days.

I see them for sale now between 3000 for average condition coupe with around 90K miles up to 10,000 for a 12,000 mile concourse quality convertible V8 version.

Sounds Like a good answer. Thanks 89 Scorpio

2007 BMW x3 - DD