No Decorated Cake For You! Take Your Business Elsewhere!

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
Leishycat
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No Decorated Cake For You! Take Your Business Elsewhere

Post by Leishycat »

And like I was saying earlier - the lawsuit and the fines and all that aren't even primarily about the cake... it's about the business owner doxing the couple and inciting harassment against them.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

Congratulations Ted & Bob is against their beliefs? That means nothing. It could be a business deal. Putting two grooms on the cake bothers you? Sell them the figures and let them do it. Give them a discount for not doing it. They'd probably sell a baby shower cake to an unwed mother, they probably don't ask if the couple are both virgins, or if this is the second marriage for anyone, so what is the big deal? I seem to recall a judge not line somewhere in the Bible. You don't have to agree with their choices to still respect the person. That is just being a decent human.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

DAReese wrote:Adam,

There is a difference. The baker is in business open to the public. They can't deny services to a protected group. Period. If they want to be exclusionary they should not be open to the public. This is truly a case of you can't have your cake and eat it too. They're either a business open to the public or they're not.

They can deny them service for all sorts of reasons, just not reasons that are protected by law. As a landlord you can deny someone an apartment because of their credit score, family size, smoking status, etc. If a pattern is determined that the real reason is because they belong to a protected group, that is when you're going to get sued.
Yes they can, they as a business owner have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason. They just need to come up with a plausible reason that isn't about them being gay, black, white, or satanists.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

milehighXR wrote:
DAReese wrote:Adam,

There is a difference. The baker is in business open to the public. They can't deny services to a protected group. Period. If they want to be exclusionary they should not be open to the public. This is truly a case of you can't have your cake and eat it too. They're either a business open to the public or they're not.

They can deny them service for all sorts of reasons, just not reasons that are protected by law. As a landlord you can deny someone an apartment because of their credit score, family size, smoking status, etc. If a pattern is determined that the real reason is because they belong to a protected group, that is when you're going to get sued.
Yes they can, they as a business owner have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason. They just need to come up with a plausible reason that isn't about them being gay, black, white, or satanists.
Ironic isn't it that someone who would deny service on religious grounds would lie about the reason. They must read a different Bible than I do.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
reddy2300
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddy2300 »

My question is: Why even give a reason, at all? Why REQUIRE that they give a reason? As I see it, you're only hurting yourself by refusing to do any sort of work for anyone. Not terribly good business sense.

I agree with not "forcing" them to write something on it that they don't agree with. I, for one, would be worried about the quality of the product or service of a company that does not WANT my business. (Or even sending food back at a restaurant because it's cold or "tastes bad".)
1987 XR4ti--Mustang Cobra 5.0/T5 transmission, AFR heads, fake BBS wheels, Koni Yellows, Rapido sway bars, poly/aluminum bushes, Eurolights, Sierra rear/Focus front discs,