Gay conservatives rebut media-Indiana religious freedom law

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Gay conservatives rebut media-Indiana religious freedom law

Post by Ed Lijewski » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:29 pm

Gay conservatives rebut media on Indiana religious freedom law
BY: Eddie Scarry April 3, 2015 | 5:00 am

National media continue to fume and storm over an Indiana religious freedom law that some say would allow legal discrimination against gays, but two conservatives in the media are calling for calm. And they're gay.

Gabriel Malor, an attorney in Washington, D.C., and a writer for the right-leaning Federalist website, recently wrote that media reaction to the "innocuous" law has been "depressing."

"I think the coverage has been deeply misleading about what the law does and says," Malor told the Washington Examiner media desk. He said that was aided by Republican Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, who signed the law and failed to articulate a defense for it on Sunday news shows.

Proponents of the law, including virtually every Republican who is planning a run for the White House in 2016, say it merely protects business owners from being forced by the government to provide a service if it conflicts with their religious beliefs.

Pence has since called on the state legislature to revise the law and add language to it that explicitly states it will not legalize discrimination. Republican lawmakers said Thursday that they have revised the bill and are working to authorize a new version.

"People were unprepared on the right to point out how innocuous these bills have been for 20 years," Malor said. "These laws are extraordinarily popular. More Americans than not support businesses being able to work within their religious conscience. "

Richard Grenell, a conservative commentator and former foreign policy adviser to Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, is also a critic of how the law has been reported on by the news media.

"Both sides are right and wrong," Grenell told the Examiner. "We can easily have both religious freedom protections and protections against discrimination. In the real world, this isn't a problem. The facts show that normal Christians bake cakes for gay people and gays understand that some religious types aren't going to perform their weddings. The overwhelming majority of Americans see this as a manufactured crisis."

"Political reporters, like most every issue they get involved with, are either unable or unwilling to explain the nuances," said Grenell.

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/gay-con ... le/2562477

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!

milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Gay conservatives rebut media-Indiana religious freedom

Post by milehighXR » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:58 pm

I thought all a business had to do was have sign that said "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" and they were covered? :dunno

I've seen enough of those signs in my short life, but never been refused, or heard of them refusing others.
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now project car
1 14 black Fiesta SE aka Fiona- my new DD

DCLXVI

In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:22 pm

milehighXR wrote:I thought all a business had to do was have sign that said "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" and they were covered? :dunno

I've seen enough of those signs in my short life, but never been refused, or heard of them refusing others.
X2 Very true. :cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:40 pm

milehighXR wrote:I thought all a business had to do was have sign that said "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" and they were covered? :dunno

It’s refreshing to see someone who Gets It.

This isn’t really about religious freedom, it’s about… freedom.

How sad that our society has degenerated to a point where forcing someone to do something against their will is considered morally superior to someone respectfully declining to participate in something they’d simply rather not be engaged in doing.

This point is lost on most, who erroneously insist on making it about religion whilst being oblivious to the unintended consequences it will inevitably produce. For what’s good for the goose is good for the gander, and pretty soon you will have people using religion as an excuse to do just about anything.

Back in the day when he had (a much more homogeneous society) a thing called common decency, someone politely refusing to take on a job they didn’t wish to was reason enough, and respected. “We reserve the right to refuse business to anyone” was a rule (and occasionally, a visible sign posted on a wall) that was, although seldom invoked, and more often for those exhibiting rude behavior of one kind or another, universally understood and respected. But the most hateful and vitriolic behavior seems to come from those most shrilly yapping about hate, and the most hypocritical intolerance from those hooting about intolerance.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:57 am

John Brennan wrote:
This isn't really about religious freedom, it’s about… freedom.
So True. The owner of private property can, and should be able to tell people to leave, for any reason. It also seems true to me that the majority of those calling for "tolerance" etc. are the most intolerant and unaccepting of other viewpoints, this is true of both sides, but it seems to be more true of my generation than people of any other age unfortunately.
Connor
'89 XR 254000 miles. Stock (until spring, then poor college student mods begin)
'99 Audi B5 A4 2.8 v6 (Technically my dad's, but he doesn't drive it)
Since I'm a Noob, i'll put an apology for dumb questions down here. I'm 19 and completely self-taught

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:50 am

PC totalitarianism is rampant in high schools and universities, with disgraceful unquestioning mass media/Hollywood support.

YMMV 8)

boost_is_fun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boost_is_fun » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:50 pm

Ed Lijewski wrote:PC totalitarianism is rampant in high schools and universities, with disgraceful unquestioning mass media/Hollywood support.

YMMV 8)
Tell me about it! Even at a fairly conservative university (BYU) you still run into a lot of these types. What surprises me is how much they think they know, despite only having lived 20 years. I hear some things that I know straight up are wrong, and a 5 minute google search could show them they're wrong. When I don't know what I'm talking about, I don't talk, I give an opinion--with the disclaimer that it's uninformed, or I ask questions, so I can actually have a basic knowledge of the topic. I don't know why more people don't follow this sort of rule.
Connor
'89 XR 254000 miles. Stock (until spring, then poor college student mods begin)
'99 Audi B5 A4 2.8 v6 (Technically my dad's, but he doesn't drive it)
Since I'm a Noob, i'll put an apology for dumb questions down here. I'm 19 and completely self-taught

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:35 am

Here's a source for information and support for our cause: http://www.campusreform.org/

Also excellent is http://weaselzippers.us

YMMV 8)

John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:50 am

boost_is_fun wrote:
John Brennan wrote:
This isn't really about religious freedom, it’s about… freedom.
So True. The owner of private property can, and should be able to tell people to leave, for any reason.

It also seems true to me that the majority of those calling for "tolerance" etc. are the most intolerant and unaccepting of other viewpoints, this is true of both sides, but it seems to be more true of my generation than people of any other age unfortunately.

Conner, quit school now. You're wasting your time.

Only 8 y.o. think the "intolerance of intolerance" is the same as randomly without thinking repeating the hate of your forefathers is the same thing..
No point to waste any more effort in trying to teach your self anything, you already repeat perfectly the lines old bitter dinosaurs have been saying for at least 50 years.

Maybe since you know everything all about what private property can and should do, maybe you can get elected and then pass your own laws---and make sure you write about what a person owning private property can do when the property is a BUSINESS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC...

A tiny little distinction but I'm sure there's a glib cliché to explain it away.
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/

John V
Level 7
Level 7

Post by John V » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:11 pm

Yeah that's all it takes. What so hard to understand.
I can put a sign that says " I refuse service to Niggers Spics, Wops, Polacks, Jews and Faggots"

And I'm covered.
Simple

I hung a sign saying "We reserve the right to surprise Buttsecks with anyone"

I'm covered.

Hanging a sign trumps all City, County, State and Federal laws...surprised more don't do it.
John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle WA USA
CALL =-> (206) 431-9696 <-= CALL

http://www.rallyrace.net/jvab/

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:40 am

The Gay Community hasn't been completely hi-jacked. So, George Stephanopoulus, feature this side of tge isdue on your fake news program.

GAY WOMAN APOLOGIZES TO CHRISTIAN-OWNED INDIANA PIZZERIA, SENDS DONATION

by THOMAS D. WILLIAMS, PH.D.
7 Apr 2015

A gay woman in Indiana has created a stir by coming out in favor of religious liberty, showing public support for Christian-owned Memories Pizza and their decision not to cater gay weddings.

Courtney Hoffman’s $20 donation to the pizzeria was symbolic, but her public stand has been significant.

The pizzeria had to close its doors after receiving a barrage of online threats when the owners said that their religious convictions would prevent them from catering same-sex weddings. One lesbian high school coach reportedly even tried to incite people to burn down the pizza shop.

As in similar cases, the owners said they gladly serve gay customers but would draw the line at catering a gay wedding.

“As a member of the gay community, I would like to apologize for the mean spirited attacks on you and your business,” Hoffman wrote in the note accompanying her donation.

Courtney Hoffman

In a remarkable show of popular support, the Christian-owned pizzeria in Walkerton, Indiana, received $842,442 in donations in only five days, sent in by 29,161 different donors. This avalanche of support blew past the initial fundraising goal of $200,000.

The campaign also allowed gay people to disassociate themselves from those attacking religious freedom. While holding a different opinion regarding same-sex marriage, Hoffman said she supports people’s right to operate their business based on their beliefs.

“My girlfriend and I are small business owners, and we think there is a difference between operating in a public market space and then attaching the name of your business to a private event,” Hoffman said in a radio interview. “Like, if we were asked to set up at an anti-gay marriage rally, I mean, we would have to decline.”

Hoffman said the “horrible, hate-filled attacks” against the pizzeria and its Christian owners did not reflect the gay community that she has come to know and love.

“The gay community that we know knows full well what it’s like to be condemned for doing nothing but living your life according to your beliefs,” she added. “We know so many gay individuals that fully support the freedom of living your life according to your beliefs and feel that freedom extends to everyone, even the people that we don’t agree with.”

Hoffman’s donation with her accompanying message brought Memories co-owner Crystal O’Connor to tears.

Another gay man, Buz Smith, sent in a $250 donation to the Memories campaign as well, accusing the Democratic leadership of hijacking the gay community and promoting religious intolerance. Other members of the gay community wrote in applauding Hoffman’s gesture and backing up her stance.

Hoffman said that the media attention made her nervous at first, but she was consoled that the responses to her donation were “so positive and amazing.”

“There’s this tendency to group people together — they are either one thing or they are another,” she said. “I just think there’s a lot of room for differences and similarities between all of these businesses, all of these communities, and if we can remember that differences don’t equal maliciousness.”

“Maybe we can move beyond threats of violence and have open discussions of the things that we don’t agree on,” she said.

Hoffman and Smith’s position in favor of religious liberty is not universally held among the gay community. After seeing how much money was raised by Memories Pizza, Jason Nguyen, an advocate for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender rights, launched a counter-campaign called “Love Is Stronger than Hate.”

Accusing the Memories campaign of promoting “discrimination and intolerance,” Nguyen used the same GoFundMe site that had been so successful for the pizzeria for his own campaign. Nguyen wants to show that he can raise more money than the pizzeria, and posted a goal of $1 million to promote LGBT equality.

Nguyen kicked off the campaign last Friday, but as of Tuesday morning it had only brought in $648 in donations from 22 people.

Follow Thomas D. Williams on Twitter @tdwilliamsrome

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... -donation/

YMMV 8)

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:04 am

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."-- Voltaire

Nice to see that some people are willing to come to that defense, put their money where their mouths are, if you will.

Why is it that some assume that if I have a car, it means I'm going to use it to mow down a bunch of people on a busy sidewalk, or that if I have a gun, I'm going to start blasting away at people indiscriminately? It seems that some people actually hope we will do these things, so that they clan applaud, and hoot, and point, and say that freedom is too much to handle, that only our Betters in Government are capable of deciding for all of us what is good, and right, and true. "Someone to claim us, Someone to follow, Someone to shame us, Some brave Apollo.."

Once again, it is not discrimination against people that is being related here, but an event they do not wish to participate in, a job they don't wish to take on. And that is perfectly within every business owner's rights. Only a total a**hole would wish to force someone else to be their slave and do their bidding when they politely decline. I applaud the wisdom and nobility of those who are able to stand for the rights of those they may happen to disagree with.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:40 am

Amen.

YMMV 8)

In XS 7
Level 7
Level 7

Post by In XS 7 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:45 pm

Totally agree John. :cheers
Miguel.
89 XR4Ti Monique; Waking up a real "Night/Mare-Coor".
T5, NPR IC, PIMP ECU, Walbro 255, Dual piston BOV, Manual BC, 3" exhaust, One piece Aluminum drive-shaft, mc2 LSD, Boport 1.5 cam, Ported and polish head, big valves, 80# injectors, Bob's log, (soon HY35).

Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:51 pm

Game on, Gay Fascist Bullies:

rightwingnews.com
Leading Conservatives Call on Apple to Pull Out of Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Iran Until They Stop Torturing Their Gay Citizens | John Hawkins' Right Wing News

http://rightwingnews.com/special/leadin ... -citizens/

YMMV 8)