Buying a used car...

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Buying a used car...

Post by milehighXR »

So like it says, I'm planning on buying a used car for the wifey to drive/for me to use when camping with the scouts. My ideal choice is a Volvo V70 XC, hopefully with the 3rd row seat. However I have heard that some German/Swedish car mechs claim that parts are more expensive and harder to get then Merkur parts. Is there any truth to these rumors? I can put my hands on decent ones for under $4k.

My second choice is an Exploder, or and Eploder SportTrac. Whatever I buy will become the oldest boys car in 3 yrs(he'll be buying it from us), and then I replace it with another, or something else to repeat the process with the youngest boy...
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Buying a used car...

Post by jkxr4ti »

Ive had 2 855 style wagons the past several years. 1st one was a 97 850 5spd. I bought this one with 150K miles and just did normal maintenance until i got t boned. Second one is a 99 V70 T5 with a 5spd. This is the first year of the ME7 engine management system so it has the throttle by wire which can be problematic. Knock on wood mine has been ok so far but the throttle body repair can get expensive. There is an updated TPS unit that can be retrofit. Oh and dont loose your keys as they have to be reprogrammed to the ECU.
Watch out on the AWD models because they had problems with the bevel gear and rear driveshaft. Many folks remove those and convert it to a 2wd unit so they dont have to pay the repair costs.
Matthews volvo site can be a valuable resource for information on repair if your a DIY guy.
Other than that they are pretty reliable. I mail order the majority of my parts from rock auto or FCP Groton. If you are able find one that has been well cared for and has the maintenance receipts so you can see what has been done so far.
Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
Matt01
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Buying a used car...

Post by Matt01 »

I was a volvo guy before I was a Merk guy. I had an 850 AWD turbo 5 speed. Now I have a 05 V50 T5 6 speed.
Volvo dealerships can get all the parts you need, they don't seem to discontinue stuff as much as Ford does, never found a part I couldnt get at the dealer.
FCP EURO website is great for OEM parts too, and cheaper than dealer. Yes the parts are more expensive, but its to be expected from a euro car.
THE MOST important thing is to change the timing belt + tensionner, when that goes it kills the head too, and alot of people neglet it, and it scraps many cars. Engines are bulletproof otherwise (i really belive the volvo 5 cyl is one of the strongest engines) Other than that they're really pretty good.

At the end of the day, my car is a Ford chassis, so parts are pretty easy to find. Quick car, comfy, spacious. Its pretty nice.

My new car:
My old car: