Best Smog Test Stories...I know you have them

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Best Smog Test Stories...I know you have them

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

I did my last smog test ever (passed!) on my 24 year old pickup this week. Been going to that place since the late 90's when it first went into effect. Aired up the "tars" and headed out. Got on it pretty good as I got closer (maybe 60 in a 35) to blow out any cobwebs. Of course a cop was parked off the side of the road, OH $#@!, but he didn't pull out and come after me. Sat in line for 30 minutes idling with a couple dozen other people, wondering how much gas is wasted here every day. Overall went pretty good.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: Best Smog Test Stories...I know you have them

Post by merkurdriver »

About 15 years ago Ohio echeck place put XR front wheels on the rollers instead of the rear wheels. :shock:
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

merkurdriver wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:06 pm About 15 years ago Ohio echeck place put XR front wheels on the rollers instead of the rear wheels. :shock:
That happens to me every single time. I'm like, "Nope-- it's a real car."
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I had a 77 cj7 back in high school with a rebuilt AMC V8. Cammed up, 4 barrel, single plain intake, full length headers and side pipes. First time they told me they couldn't test it since there was no cats. So I got 2 mismatched cats (one had nothing on the inside) for free from my friends place, and clamped them on the headers along with two small mufflers and turn downs. I made it inside but before they pulled it onto the rollers the person in charge said it was too dangerous. The big tires were very close to their equipment (sniffer hoses). So me and my buddy Josh took the stuff off in the parking lot and got back in line all straight piped basically. This time we made it all the way onto the rollers. It was pretty loud inside the bays, and I guess it got the attention of that same manager person. She of course put a stop to it and said the test would be inaccurate do to all the extensions they hooked up, allowing their hoses to reach both side pipes. I asked how they test other cars such as the Dodge Viper but that didn't get me anywhere. I just needed the failed paper to get another temp tag, but she wouldn't give it to me. So it got parked awhile until the collector tags came in the mail.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

merkurdriver wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:06 pm About 15 years ago Ohio echeck place put XR front wheels on the rollers instead of the rear wheels. :shock:
No e-check in Stark county, but I'm not surprised.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Kid at work had a somewhat junky ford taurus on temp tags. Since he did more work than most temps, I figured I'd help him get the echeck paper he needed. Car had the cat, but cel was on for some dumb reason. I reset (cleared) codes during break in the parking lot. And told him how it needed to "go down"...
Guy: I'm sorry sir but your car's computer is telling me you have had some work done recently, and it will need some time to reset itself.
Kid: Ya the battery was dead awhile.
Guy: Well just come back after a couple days of normal driving.
Kid: I can't this is my only day off, I just started this new job and I really need this car to get to work.
Guy: We are open Saturday.
Kid: I have to work all day on Saturday. Maybe even Sunday.
Guy: Well I can run it on the rollers but it's not a good idea it would be better to just come back.
Kid: I really need to get this done today.
Guy: Well you'd have to sign a form.
Kid: OK
Ten minutes later...
Guy: Here's your paperwork, you passed.
Kid: Thanks
brokencase
Level 7
Level 7

Post by brokencase »

What blew me away back in the 90s in Pennsylvania was...

The gov't told all the inspection stations to buy these very expensive rolling dynos and emissions testing gear.
If you had a 4wd car or truck/suv then they could not be put on the rolling dyno.
So these vehicles were only tested at idle. That was like 20 percent of the vehicles.
It was ridiculous.

It is my understanding that in PA they are now just looking for OBDII codes to look for emissions failure for most recent vehicles.
Its only a narrow range of build date years in the 90's where the car must be connected to emissions equipment.

I was happy to find out that Scorpios are now emissions exempt (Visual Check and Gas Cap Check only) in my county due to age.
http://www.ahs.dep.pa.gov/aq_apps/emissions/

So in a few more years cars built in the 90's will be exempt and all those rolling dynos will sit around collecting dust (they are already I suppose).

The real funny part is that most folks in PA don't know these rules (or the web site above) and mechanics are still nailing people for the full emissions testing fees that they have always been charging.

It's all a big scam...
Specialization is for Insects
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

brokencase wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:14 pm What blew me away back in the 90s in Pennsylvania was...

The gov't told all the inspection stations to buy these very expensive rolling dynos and emissions testing gear.
If you had a 4wd car or truck/suv then they could not be put on the rolling dyno.
So these vehicles were only tested at idle. That was like 20 percent of the vehicles.
It was ridiculous.

It is my understanding that in PA they are now just looking for OBDII codes to look for emissions failure for most recent vehicles.
Its only a narrow range of build date years in the 90's where the car must be connected to emissions equipment.

I was happy to find out that Scorpios are now emissions exempt (Visual Check and Gas Cap Check only) in my county due to age.

So in a few more years cars built in the 90's will be exempt and all those rolling dynos will sit around collecting dust (they are already I suppose).

The real funny part is that most folks in PA don't know these rules (or the web site above) and mechanics are still nailing people for the full emissions testing fees that they have always been charging.

It's all a big scam...
Ya people need to be better informed. Someone I know bought a Ranger truck from one of those buy here pay here lots. He noticed no check engine light on at startup, and they scanned it for him using a handheld scanner. They said the bulb must be burned out but it (a 96 or 97) threw no codes. I'm guessing the place replaced a sensor and cleared the codes. The echeck station would not even test it since that very same station had already tested it and it failed. He couldn't get a failed paper and another temporary tag, or a pass paper and a real tag. So it sat in his parents driveway until they came along and towed it back. I bet the place resold it again to someone keeping the down payment and subsequent payments both times.
DAReese
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAReese »

brokencase wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:14 pm What blew me away back in the 90s in Pennsylvania was...

It was ridiculous.

It's all a big scam...
The scam is the people doing it, not the rules trying to improve air quality.
David Reese

88 XR4Ti - mono white T5, someday to be bi wing
89 Scorpio - waiting on some parts before it hits the road again
88 XR4Ti - mono red C3, parts car
used to own 86 dark blue traded in on a min van, what was I thinking?
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Ya I'm all for air quality. There was a sharp decline in totally ridiculous piles of garbage driving around in northeastern ohio after they started echeck. Which is a good thing.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Another option that may help some of you. Search downstream O2 sensor anti fouler, spacer, non fouler etc. You can use the cheap spark plug anti-fouler like this one
sold at the autoparts store, or something sold on ebay, to partially block the flow of exhaust gas across the downstream O2. This may be a good option to pass smog with some winter beater you only plan to have for a short time. Or as a temporary fix until you can get things fixed correctly.