Ford Recalls Focus

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

Merkur Club web site
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Ford Recalls Focus

Post by andyofcolumbusmerkur »

2012 to 2018 ford fuckus. They are not recalling any other cars that stall. Just those ones.
The best way to keep your Kia from being stolen is to not have a Kia.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Ford Recalls Focus

I guess after 33 years they still are having trouble making a fuel gauge that can display the correct amount of fuel. Maybe time to get some help from auto meter or vdo.
Rocky's Wrench
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rocky's Wrench »

What is really required is more intelligent drivers... I don't know about you guys, but I drive 250 miles, and
fill the tank. Usually putting 10 to 11 gallons in. There are a multitude of reasons for doing what I do, one
being that if the $#!* hits the fan, I can go another 125 miles if I have to... For the idiots that run the tank
down to empty before adding some fuel, I hope it's not too long a walk, to either get home, or lug a 5 gallon
can to your car...
SteveL
Orphan Addict...
taylor0987
Level 1
Level 1

Post by taylor0987 »

I have a colleague who had these issues with his Focus when it was something like 3 years old, but out of warranty due to his long commute. He ended up spending a couple of thousand dollars getting it repaired. The dealership bumbled around for a while before realizing the tank had collapsed.

He didn't get consistent fuel gauge readings-- for example, the miles to empty display would get to a certain point and then tick down like it was counting seconds.

I really don't think this is an issue where fueling habits can be blamed.
andyofcolumbusmerkur
Level 7
Level 7

I guess it is still better than the tank in the Mclaren F1. Which needs to be replaced every 5 years as routine maintenance.
Rocky's Wrench
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rocky's Wrench »

taylor0987 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:25 pm I really don't think this is an issue where fueling habits can be blamed.

I'd like to do an autopsy on the failed senders/fuel pumps, I'd put money on corrosion being the cause...
SteveL
Orphan Addict...
taylor0987
Level 1
Level 1

Post by taylor0987 »

So because of the Focus problem, and because of issues his wife had with her Explorer's transfer case, my colleague said he swore to no longer purchase any Fords.
One day, he said "hey come outside and look at my new car." Ironically, it's a second-generation Volvo C70 which is a platform mate of the Focus...
twin turbo

Post by twin turbo »

Had a recovery on a Kuga ones, there the tank had grown abit🤣 IT had blown up in size for some reason, som much that IT touched the driveaxel and made allot of ugly noice, my first tought when arrived, and owner driver the car abit forward to "show" me the noice, was broken diff.... not sure what caused IT, but IT kind og makes me wonder what the H.. ford Are doing now, since quality and how they build cars now is not good...
Ersatz36

Post by Ersatz36 »

I received my recall notice tuesday for my 2013 st and Ford stated that the issue was a bad canister purge valve. According to the letter they stick and cause an increased vacuum in the system that can actually deform the tank and cause the gauge to read erroneously. I had this happen to me after i just purchased the car, the gauge read 1/4 full and died on the highway, had a friend bring me two gallons of gas and the thing read half full but never fixed it due to the rumors of a recall for the issue. If you guys/gals are interested, I'll keep you updated as the recall actually rolls out over the next couple of months.