monaco GP

The Club Water Cooler - Discussion of just about anything on your mind not Merkur related.

wesvailco
Level 4
Level 4

monaco GP

Post by wesvailco » Sun May 28, 2006 2:09 pm

well, i for one don't think schumacher "cheated"....the telemetry will show the stall. he missed the corner snd protected the car, great drivers make mistakes too..........alonso/"flabio" are cry-babies...

but starting for the pit lane and finishing 5th....at monaco? pure talent...

fast lap was awarded to schumacher....a full second faster than alonso. i watched the replay on CBS....danny sullivan sucks more as an announcer than when he was a driver. very one-sided and OBVIOUSLY anti-ferrari. is he jealous? or just pissed that they passed him over for a seat in the 80's.

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Sun May 28, 2006 3:37 pm

Please, I could have driven out of that. :roll: It looked ridiculous and the FIA took the appropriate action. I don't deny he's an extremely talented driver - no way would I have thought he could have made it back to 5th at Monaco - I just don't have much respect for him.

Ouch, Al Jr. into the wall! :x
Brad

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Sun May 28, 2006 5:30 pm

IF he did it on purpose, that does kind of suck-- far better to have started 2nd than from the back of the field. That said, only a handful of drivers in history could start DEAD LAST at Monaco and end up 5th!

I can see not liking Schuey, but I don't understand not respecting him.
This is my car, and these are my people!
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed
2015 Edge 3.5 V6 Auto/Paddles

Merkur

Post by Merkur » Sun May 28, 2006 10:12 pm

Schuey will do everything he can to win, including running people off the road, balking, and playing games like he did in qualifying. For once Max and his guys took the appropriate action. All to many times Ross and his band of Scuderi lawyers have negotiated a settlement in their favor. This time they failed and it was a better race for it.

That said (and you can tell I am not a Schumey fan), he drove one hell of a race! If David had run out of gas, and Schuey had run Barrichello off the road, which he was about to do, he would have been on the podium - from last position. That would have been unprecedented in Monaco history.

Paul
Paul "the Brit" West
Oakland, NJ

wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky » Mon May 29, 2006 6:55 am

The Red Baron has done worse than that in the past and I wouldn't be giving him the benefit of any doubt. He is a superb driver but IMHO lacks sportsmanship.

Wilky
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).

DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti » Mon May 29, 2006 9:45 am

wilky wrote:The Red Baron has done worse than that in the past and I wouldn't be giving him the benefit of any doubt. He is a superb driver but IMHO lacks sportsmanship.
:withstupid
Brad

Merkur

Post by Merkur » Mon May 29, 2006 9:50 am

Me too, except that he has done worse in the past AND will do worse things in the future.
Paul "the Brit" West
Oakland, NJ

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Mon May 29, 2006 2:11 pm

I don't like bad sportsmanship, but even Senna once took a championship by taking out Prost. Racing, for better or worse, has consistently been an "all is fair in love and war" endeavor. The ones who has been most "creative" in their interpretations of rules and tactics have often been the ones spraying champagne at the end of the day. Speaking of Dan Gurney, for example, IIRC there was once an extremely large and long fuel "filler neck" that gave an unfair advantage to one of his cars by extending the rule-limited capacity of the tank.
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed

wesvailco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by wesvailco » Mon May 29, 2006 2:32 pm

SARON81
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SARON81 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:13 am

I'm not sure what to think. Has he pulled any "stunts" in the last 9 years or so? None stick out in my mind. (Now -97 is a different story) You can clearly see the initial lock-up in the replay, followed by massive understeer,than a driver correction, more understeer, and then onto the brakes to avoid the wall. It appeared he tried to get it going again, and the engine stalled when he engaded reverse. Even 7 time champions make mistakes, and it's easy to do at Monaco. I don't think similar action would have been taken if it were any other driver. Oh, even my girlfried noticed how anti Ferrari an how lousy an announcer Danny Sullivan is.

John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan » Tue May 30, 2006 11:50 am

Danny Sullivan calling an F1 race is like Kevin Costner playing Robin Hood; nice guy, wrong role.

Edit: As to whether he "did it" or not, are there any data from telemetry, etc., supporting his explanation? I can't see the FIA going to the extent of crying foul if there were, but then again, this is the FIA-- we can't expect them to be rational or anything but capricious and Napoleonic in their judgements.
1989 XR4Ti 5-Speed
2001 BMW Z3 3.0 5-Speed
2015 Fiesta ST 6-Speed