Saturday Night Awards Dinner - Input Requested

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 2-4, 2006.
Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

John Brennan wrote:I'll take their cars-- they can keep most of their food! :P

You know the joke-- in heaven, the chefs are French, the police are British, the engineers are German, etc., and in hell, the designers are French, the police are German, the chefs are British, etc.... :roll:
Real German food, done right, I like. I'd be really afraid however if a hotel tried to make Weiner Schnitzel or some such. I suspect the results might be scary bad. :shock:
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

mhamilton wrote:-pre-dinner videos (don't let Ed Lijewski bring any of his)
Good idea... might want to get Erik in on this... :)
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.
mhamilton
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mhamilton »

That leads me to Wilky. Perhaps we could have British Cuisine and Wilky can lead the way for the menu. :oops: You laugh. Our cars are really English designed. ANd about the "British Cuisine", that is not actually an oxymoron. Have you had a Shepard's Pie lately? Just keep the dished made with blood and we'll be okay.
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Good Shepherd's Pie is pretty good. The haggis is Scottish-- yeah, they can keep that!

Again, I thought the food we had last year was just fine. You're cooking for hundreds of people; you'd best keep it simple (and relatively inexpensive).
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

We should have an outdoor dinner with brats, burgers, and 'dogs. 8)
Instagram @colinrdoyle
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

I thought the food was pretty good for the cost. Beer would have been nice though. I don't mind speeches but the length kills me. I have a nice projector that throws a 17 foot picture. Want me to bring that? just need a large wall. A better choice in a desert would be cool. Is there any way that we as a group bring some beer to share. Or am I asking to much. Get some garbage cans with ice and beer. I figured we could share with each other.

Also who was that guy that was complaining the drawings were rigged. That kinda bugged me. I was triing to enjoy myself with others but this guy had to act like a child. And I don't really care who it was. I don't want here that this year. We are supose to have fun. Not complain cause he didn't win anything. I was happy with my vidio and gromits. 8) . Pretty much I enjoyed it. I hope to have a great time this year again.
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

GeneticRehab wrote:Also who was that guy that was complaining the drawings were rigged. That kinda bugged me. I was triing to enjoy myself with others but this guy had to act like a child.
Who was that guy? :?
Instagram @colinrdoyle
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Colin wrote:
GeneticRehab wrote:Also who was that guy that was complaining the drawings were rigged. That kinda bugged me. I was triing to enjoy myself with others but this guy had to act like a child.
Who was that guy? :?
First I've heard this, but that's probably a good thing. :evil: "Excuse me, can someone hold this guy down while I beat him with this nice Rapido head?" :roll:

Nice idea on the beer if only it was legal. According to some funky PA law, any alcohol consumed within the hotel must be purchased from the hotel. It was the same exact story at the Raddison, so it's not as though it's some "make-believe law" that the hotel created for their benefit.

Thanks for the offer, but the projecter wasn't so much the issue last year as it was the size of the screen. I've already reserved a larger screen for this year.
GeneticRehab
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GeneticRehab »

I'm not sure who the guy was. This was my first time there. Plus meeting everyone it was hard to put names to faces. Lots of people. Overload for brain. Ouch. Swelling bad. Another beer please. I probly should have brought it up earlier. But I forgot about till today. All I remember was that he had dark brown to black hair. But I hope it don't happen again. Or I will make that persons presants known to all at the dinner. I will not care how mad he gets :twisted: .
Jason Liss
1989 XR Still in pieces

1986 XR Sold!
wesvailco
Level 4
Level 4

-can't have fun without alcohol....

Post by wesvailco »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:

Nice idea on the beer if only it was legal. According to some funky PA law, any alcohol consumed within the hotel must be purchased from the hotel. It was the same exact story at the Raddison, so it's not as though it's some "make-believe law" that the hotel created for their benefit.
we have the same type of law here in colorado. but for banquets and other functions where they wish to "bring they're own", we CAN charge a "corking fee", usually based on the number of guests. most of the time i don't even charge this fee because i don't know where to file the revenue.
the state "supposedly" collects this fee, i have never seen a tax form for said "corking fee". i would bet to say that if you called the sales dept of the hotel and explained that your "event" will have a gift-ticket liquor sales. where "tickets" are to be purchased for the "exchange" of alcoholic/ and non-alcoholic beverages (must include both, because of age of patrons). the only way to get a beverage is to buy tickets. say 10 tickets for 10.00USD, 1 ticket for 1 drink......we've done this many times here.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Thanks for the feedback Wes - can you arrange to take on the job of "Beverage Mgr" at the Hotel Carlisle? You can quit 10 minutes after the event has concluded. :twisted:

The other concern here is liability. Everyone gets sued when something bad happens. :x

I'm sure y'all can figure out some creative solutions that don't involve rolling in a keg under the table. I already thought of that one, but I suspect the subtlety might get lost when the line to a hose coming out from under a table was longer than the food line! :lol:
edge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by edge »

I think Colin has a good idea, plus it would take the drink problem away.
Just start the parking lot festivities earlier. :lol: There was groups doing that at least on Sunday on the fairgrounds (well maybe not the beer).
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

The outdoor picnic approach is a logistical challenge since the weather is a big unknown. It's also a challenge from an admission standpoint - far too easy to "crash" the party. We've done it once before (2000), but it was a rather disorganized and somewhat out-of-control effort.

Keep the cards and letters coming! :)
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

Colin wrote:
Ed Lijewski wrote:a throw-away digital camera
Does such a thing exist? :?
Yes: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,117979,00.asp :wink:

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
John Brennan wrote:I'll take their cars-- they can keep most of their food! :P

You know the joke-- in heaven, the chefs are French, the police are British, the engineers are German, etc., and in hell, the designers are French, the police are German, the chefs are British, etc.... :roll:
Real German food, done right, I like. I'd be really afraid however if a hotel tried to make Weiner Schnitzel or some such. I suspect the results might be scary bad. :shock:
C'mon, Bwana: Carlisle is near the heart and center of Pennsylvania DUTCH country, remember? Shouldn't be hard to get true Chermann cuisine there. :wink:

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!