Award Categories (Input requested here too)

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 2-4, 2006.
Merkur Club web site
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

I'm not too keen on a RAT Merk award as this will only encourage the buggers to make thier Merks even rattier. Last years awards were an improvement over previous years but for '06 I would really like to see an award that recognises and encourages the young guys and galls. These young folks are full of enthusiasm, have done some great stuff to their cars and hopefully they will help preserve the interest in our Meks long after us old farts have snuffed it.

Wilky
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

wilky wrote:I'm not too keen on a RAT Merk award as this will only encourage the buggers to make thier Merks even rattier. Last years awards were an improvement over previous years but for '06 I would really like to see an award that recognises and encourages the young guys and galls. These young folks are full of enthusiasm, have done some great stuff to their cars and hopefully they will help preserve the interest in our Meks long after us old farts have snuffed it.

Wilky
Great idea Wilky - do you have any specific suggestions for what the award(s) could be? How about...
"Under-age Merkur Owner Most Likely to ask Wilky to come along on a beer run" :lol:
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Colin wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
P.S. I've got some sources for plaid fabric Colin. :P
Whoa, great idea! Bring on the lumberjack-red plaid! :lol:[/quote]

Here's some links for you Colin:

http://www.getti.us/burberry.html

http://www.fastandfuriouseast.com/DX/ga ... ADE041.jpg
edge
Level 3
Level 3

Post by edge »

If you add a rat rod, I might not want to move my suspension over on my 89 and drive that down again. Lowered 80% in black primer and the rest of the car is black, worn seats no ps and etc..
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

How about the awards available to ALL Merkur owners and not just MCA members. Some help you guys win the trophy but they are left out.
(I know the hotel discount, reg discount..blah,blah) I still think it should be open to all. That's just me.
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Specktor »

How about best daily driver. And one for best use of off the shelf parts.
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
Can I stop now I'm broke.
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

How about most improved?

My car will NOT be anything for show, as i'm not building it for show. And there is no way it'll be done by carlisle unless someone wants to throw 4 or 5 k at me to finish it up ;)
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

fastmaul wrote:How about the awards available to ALL Merkur owners and not just MCA members. Some help you guys win the trophy but they are left out.
(I know the hotel discount, reg discount..blah,blah) I still think it should be open to all. That's just me.
Erik, haven't we had this conversation before??? :?

http://www.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1455

For the link challenged...

fastmaul
Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:45 am Post subject:

I have a question! So in order to "Win" anything from the "MCA" you have to be a member correct? So When I register both my cars for Carlisle and they ask me if I belong to a club and I put down MCA to Help you guys win the "Biggest Club" trophy what do I get out of that? Just a question as I thought If I put you down as my club, My car should be able to be judged without being a member! sounds fair to me

-Erik
-------------------------

tannehilln
Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:24 pm Post subject:

$5.00 discount per show field registration for putting down that you are with the Club. IN your case $10.00 cash money.
----------------------

DPDISXR4Ti
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:18 am Post subject:
Fair question Eric... First, Norm's point is absolutely valid - you already saved $10 if you took advantage of the club-only discounted advance registration. Several things, like this Forum and the IMON list, we make available to everyone even though it is paid for by annual membership dues. It's the PBS approach to funding - it works - no plan to change it.

The MCA Carlisle awards cost about $500, which is largely paid for by annual membership dues. Here, it just made sense to make this a member benefit. After all, we have to demonstrate value to membership or people won't renew and the whole cookie starts to crumble. Before making this decision, we polled several other clubs, and without exception, every single one requires membership to be eligible for any club awards they give out.

So why the sudden interest in the car judging awards? I thought you told us a couple months back that you had no interest!!!
----------------------------

fastmaul
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:42 pm Post subject:

Ok, that seems Very Fair!!!! I am ok with that!

I am asking because Taryn's car should be ready and will look nice as I am sure others will be!! so I just thought if it looks(as nice as I hope it does) good it'd be a shame if she got not recognition for it. I will join again, if just only for using the bandwidth on this forum!(as you can see from my post count! LOL) You know how I feel about certain people, so I'm just telling myself to ignore them and join anyway.
next question...how much is it again for me and Taryn??
thanks.
-Erik
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

demonfire wrote:How about most improved?

My car will NOT be anything for show, as i'm not building it for show. And there is no way it'll be done by carlisle unless someone wants to throw 4 or 5 k at me to finish it up ;)
In theory, "Most improved" is a good idea - the challenge is that somebody needs to remember what any given car looked like LAST YEAR to know how much it has been improved. It's kinda hit and miss from that perspective. I DO like the idea - it's implementing it that becomes a challenge.

Rest assured, most of the Merkurs at Carlisle are not "show cars" in the typical sense. I'd guess that only half the people even bother to wash their car! :lol:
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Specktor wrote:How about best daily driver. And one for best use of off the shelf parts.
Nice idea, but how would a judge know that any given car is a "daily driver" rather than one that sits in the garage most of the time? How 'bout "Best use of Junkyard Parts"? Heck, maybe I'd finally win an award!!! :lol:
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

Oops sorry, My bad, I forgot what I wrote almost 2 years ago. Besides, when the server left it's little back door open and "Iraqi" hijacker took over a lot of the post seemed to have disappered, I just didn't bother looking for it again. I also thought that I would bring it up again for the newbies that didn't know you would have to be a member to win anything.
Erik AKA MerkurSport's Bill payer. www.Merkursport.com The virtual Garage. Bring your own nudie calendar. You can now find MerkurSport on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/MerkurSpo ... 5756984607
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Specktor »

So I need to join to win something I wont win but the goodie bag sounds interesting . Hmm my son is coming with me which means a slight wrestling match over the bag. Wonder if I can still beat him. Is there any medical supplies in the bag?
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
fastmaul
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fastmaul »

Specktor wrote:So I need to join to win something I wont win but the goodie bag sounds interesting . Hmm my son is coming with me which means a slight wrestling match over the bag. Wonder if I can still beat him. Is there any medical supplies in the bag?
See, my post is now justified. 8)
Specktor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Specktor »

I was going to join anyway . Just to pay for the bandwith I plan to use.
88 maroon xr4ti,
88 xr4ti now blue.
88 xr4ti black,
88 xr4ti red,
88 xr4ti white.
Colin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Colin »

What's the incentive to join if the forum is free, the awards are given to non club members, and everybody gets a goodie bag at Carlisle? There wouldn't be any incentive other than the warm fuzzy feeling... ;)

Colin
Instagram @colinrdoyle
89 Scorpio 2300-16V // 07 F-650 Cummins // 00 Beetle TDI
File to fit, paint to match.