**Watkins Glen, June 5-6, Immediately after Carlisle**

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 2-4, 2006.
Merkur Club web site
PDenbigh
Level 2
Level 2

**Watkins Glen, June 5-6, Immediately after Carlisle**

Post by PDenbigh »

For those of you interested in discovering or enjoying the performance potential of our XR4ti's, you are invited to join us at Watkins Glen Raceway in Watkins Glen, NY, on the Monday and Tuesday immediately following Carlisle. WGI is about 4 hours North of Carlisle. Accomidations are usually at the Seneca Lodge, a cool, quaint, lodge about 1-2 miles from the track. Camping is also available.

Those that attended last year can attest to the unbeatable fun this event creates. Watkins Glen is one of the handful of very famous tracks in the US, and it is a wonderful track! Elevation change, long straights, fun turns, and a world class facility. Don't miss this opportunity!

Your car does not have to be track prepared. A helmet is all you need. (I personally have 2 I would loan out, the track has other loaners). You will need to have the car in solid running condition though. A Stock XR should hit 120mph on this track. A modified XR could easily exceed 135mph. As the time approaches and we gauge interest, I'll volunteer to post some guidelines on what the car would need.

If it is your first time, you will be assigned an instructor that will teach you how to push your car and yourself faster and harder than ever before. If you thought driving a country road was fun, you are about to enter a new realm of performance!

Info on last year may be found here: http://www.merkurclub.com/events/the_gl ... n_2005.htm
and here:http://www.85xr.com/Events/WGI6_05.htm

The event is put on byPhoenix CMR, primarily a Ford/Shelby/SVT shop. It usually runs around $400 for the weekend. For that $400, you get a garage, an instructor, and 3-4 30 minute track sessions per day (2 days). It's tough to explain just how awesome the exerience is, hopefully others will chime in and help.

I will gather some details on price and registration. Who's interested?
Peter Denbigh

http://www.85xr.com
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

I'm definately interested Peter. I just checked the reg on pheonix cmr the other day and it says they are out of garage space. Is this true?

I took the trip to The Glen last year just to watch John Holiday, Dave G. and all the merkur nuts run their cars. The few hours i spent there was a blast. The guys hooked me up for a ride along with one of the instructors, Wow!

And since the 05 glenn picture page never made it on the site here's a pic of peter getting ready for his session.

Jeremy Kemp

RIP: the Mutt….1988 XR4Ti Chestnut Brown/Spice Leather
MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Lack of a garage spot should NOT be a reason not to sign up. In the event that you need garage space to make a repair of some sort under cover, it is quite likely that someone will give up their spot as needed.

I know I'm going to be disappointed this year on Sunday when I don't head north after the show is over. It is an awesome ride through the PA mountains to Watkins Glen, and an even more awesome experience on the track.
wilky
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wilky »

I missed out last year (basically because my life sucked atthe time) but I'm going to try my damdest to get me, my boys, my XR and RS there :lol:

Wilky
Seeking relationship with sexy lady Merkur owner (send pic of Merkur).
jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

The lack of garage space wont stop me, but i'm sure it would make it a bit more enjoyable if i did score a bay. I'm signing up shortly. I just hope i have time to get the car prepped. Ive been in alabama for 3 weeks now with 2 more weeks to go. I think i'm going into toolbox withdrawals.
Jeremy Kemp

MC2 Coilovers and Bushings, Contour Rims and Rotors, Ported Motorsport Head, Cosworth 4x4 Intercooler, Holset HY35 Turbo, 80LB Injectors, Megasquirt2 EFI
PDenbigh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PDenbigh »

I spoke with Joe this morning. The garage spaces are full unfortunately, but if he has any cancelations he is putting the Merkur folks in them first.

Here is the proceedure. Download the forms from his website http://www.phoenixcmr.com/june_track_event_frame.htm

Fill them out, and send them in! He is holding a few spots in each run group for us.

If you have done 0-1 events, you have to be in the novice group. 3-4, intermediate, and anything over that you may drive the advanced group.

Please PM me your email address so that I can coordinate a list of folks interested in going and use this to keep us informed.

Thanks!
Peter
Peter Denbigh

white_2kgt

Post by white_2kgt »

I'll be there w/ my Mustang.

Thanks for the heads up Pete!
PDenbigh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PDenbigh »

For those of you that are going, here's some lodging info.

First, the Seneca Lodge is full except for their little cabins and they are pretty worthless. Beyond that, based on my research, you have three affordable options:

1. Camping, $13 a night for primitive camping spots, they have a shower and stuff there, about 2 miles from the track.
2. “Golden Knight Innâ€
Peter Denbigh

PDenbigh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PDenbigh »

jkxr4ti wrote:
And since the 05 glenn picture page never made it on the site here's a pic of peter getting ready for his session.

Thanks for the pic!
Peter Denbigh

white_2kgt

Post by white_2kgt »

[quote="PDenbigh"]For those of you that are going, here's some lodging info.

First, the Seneca Lodge is full except for their little cabins and they are pretty worthless. Beyond that, based on my research, you have three affordable options:

1. Camping, $13 a night for primitive camping spots, they have a shower and stuff there, about 2 miles from the track.
2. “Golden Knight Innâ€
AnHonestCitizen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AnHonestCitizen »

OK, it's official. I just signed up for Watkins. Now I just have to get a room somewhere. WooHoo!
PDenbigh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by PDenbigh »

It's not too late to sign up guys! Seriously, it's more fun than you can imagine. Way more fun!

If you haven't ever driven on track this is a great time to start because you'll have friends to back you up. Group 1's pace is very comfortable. You won't be run over I GUARANTEE.

If you have done a track event before, this one is better because there are actually OTHER XR's there.

I compare it to an action packed, 125mph Carlisle, with no tickets or jail time.

If you have any questions or need help please let me know. PM or peter@85xr.com.
Peter Denbigh

jkxr4ti
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jkxr4ti »

Well just call me Mr. Procrastinator. I live not too far from Joe of CMR so i dropped by his place to sign up last night. Now all i have to do is get the car ready.
Jeremy Kemp

AnHonestCitizen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AnHonestCitizen »

Seneca Lodge had a pair of cancellations, so I took one of them. There is still one room left with a single queen-sized bed.

Seneca Lodge # (607) 535-2014
white_2kgt

Post by white_2kgt »

AnHonestCitizen wrote:Seneca Lodge had a pair of cancellations, so I took one of them. There is still one room left with a single queen-sized bed.

Seneca Lodge # (607) 535-2014
What were you driving? There were only 2 Merkur's there Pete and Jermery.