Carlisle Regrets

Discussion topics related exclusively to our annual gathering in Carlisle PA on June 2-4, 2006.
Merkur Club web site
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:But I don't know when to quit, so I had his speech "sponsored by Reader's Digest". :lol:

In all sincerity, his speech this year was eloquent and to the point - I think he was done in 4 minutes.
I didn't get the joke about Reader's Digest. I get it now. I guess you pulled a "Pontiac grille" with that joke; in other words - you struck out!

I checked my watch when he walked up to the podium, thinking "five minutes? Riiiight." He did it in about 4 minutes and 20 seconds (give or take 5 seconds). In the parking lot later, Dave Compton mentioned that he thought the speech was too short and lacked the interesting convoy stories. I'll disagree by saying I think it kept a good balance.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

I, too, thought it was too short and didn't have the flavor of adventure [or saga] of years past. That might have been in part because of the time limit, but also in part because his trans failure took some of the fun out of it.

Five minutes is too little and left no space for vignettes of common interest from the convoy experience; ten might have been better. But I applauded that he kept to the 5 minute limit as requested. :wink:

[The Reader's Digest reference was a great "in-joke."]

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

Gee and I thought I was really going to miss it this year!

Sounds like the politics are coming back into play. :roll:

Where's Rolland :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

xrian wrote:Sounds like the politics are coming back into play. :roll:
If it is, I'd certainly like someone to explain to me why, and what can be done to eliminate it. I'll accept any constructive feedback. I am quite serious in making this request.

I have zero use for elitist behavior, but I also have zero use for whiners who can't back up their whining with facts. Fair enough?
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

anglin wrote:I didn't get the joke about Reader's Digest. I get it now. I guess you pulled a "Pontiac grille" with that joke; in other words - you struck out!
Apparently I only struck out with the "unwashed masses". :lol:

(Just figured I'd make an elitest comment and quickly paint a target on my own back.) :haha
Brad
jasonty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jasonty »

some people just like to have a little conflict for some reason
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
If it is, I'd certainly like someone to explain to me why, and what can be done to eliminate it. I'll accept any constructive feedback. I am quite serious in making this request.

I have zero use for elitist behavior, but I also have zero use for whiners who can't back up their whining with facts. Fair enough?
jason yancey
stephens city va
87XR-88XR
NOVAMOG

"as long as you keep picking on me I will tend to mad post about me getting mad......"
ztee24
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ztee24 »

xrian wrote:Gee and I thought I was really going to miss it this year!

Sounds like the politics are coming back into play. :roll:

Where's Rolland :lol: :lol: :lol:
And they sure are.

Nothing for nothing.... I noticed a HUGE difference with people this year.
I am not going to get into details, as I will probably just start something, and I am better off keeping my mouth shut.

You didn't miss much Ian, trust me.
Just a lot of bullshitting, Jerry being a BIG jerk, and for me not saying anything to him while we ate breakfast, because that was the most rudest thing that I have ever seen...in front of all if us at that table.
ztee24
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ztee24 »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:

I'll get in trouble. :lol: :lol:
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

ztee24 wrote:
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:

I'll get in trouble. :lol: :lol:
With whom??? :?

More than happy to have the conversation off-line.

BRAD.ANESI@NETIQ.COM :)
Brad
Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

wow, i either left before this started, or i'm completely oblivious, as i thought ya'll were nice, and i had fun. Then again, i didn't go to any meal, nor did i stay till saturday night, as we had to leave early.

:oops:
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

it seems to me that there is really only one name that keeps coming up as to actually instigating anything. i've never met the guy and only heard the things said or done. but, it is enough to ruin things for a lot of people and create bad feelings. like someone said earlier we are all here to have fun. when that fun goes away people are gonna start moving in their own direction. being much more active over on merkursport than here i thinki can say that the ms guys really try hard to keep on the down low and not step on any collective toes here. there's just a lot of us that aren't paid members of the mca and therefore are left out of some of the fun and games, so we have to go find it on our own and together.

last year, which was my first at carlisle with the merk, i didn't know anything about any dinner because i had just found the forums right before the show. once i did hear about it there, i wanted to go but couldn't get a ticket to the dinner because i wasn't a paid member. something as simple as that has turned me off to being a full member.

i've also heard nothing but good things about brad for his actions at the hotel regaurding the security gaurd. props to you brad, it's nice to have someone looking out for everyone. (that ponticrap grill has to go though, good concept, poor excecution)

anyway i think i've rambled enough and must get to work now.
ian the re-animator
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

xr4man wrote:last year, which was my first at carlisle with the merk, i didn't know anything about any dinner because i had just found the forums right before the show. once i did hear about it there, i wanted to go but couldn't get a ticket to the dinner because i wasn't a paid member. something as simple as that has turned me off to being a full member.
Not true. Anyone is invited to the dinner, however your ticket needs to be purchased in advance - that's the issue. I recognize that's a problem at times, but we need to deliver a committed head-count to the hotel several days in advance of the event. We run the dinner at a slightly loss as it is, so buying extra dinners, hoping someone will need them, is a risk we can't afford to take. Also realize that if we just let people buy tickets at the show, nobody would buy them in advance, and it would just be a total guess on the head-count (an even bigger risk).

Make sense? :?

Thanks for the kind words, but Saul was the one who mostly got things handled this year.
Brad
merkurmaniac
Level 5
Level 5

Post by merkurmaniac »

that ponticrap grill has to go though, good concept, poor excecution[quote][/quote]

I have to disagree here... I would say "poor concept, good execution"

As far as the MCA dinner goes, I think that they cannot sell tickets at the door for the simple reason that they must provide a head count, a week in advance or so. I think that being an MCA member got attendees $2 off their ticket price or something like that.

For me, the dinner and "show" is all part of the fun. When I drove last year, gathering and talking it all up was a big part of the fun that was Carlisle. Of course it was huge that year, and I WAS in the convoy, and it was a lot of fun and will never be forgotten, so I loved it. If I just drove in from one hour away, it might have seemed a bit much, but I thought it was great.

Personally, I figure that with the amount of money and time that I spend on my Merkur, that to not go to the dinner would be foolish. To me, its all part of the Carlisle experinece. I probably spent $300 in gas just getting there an back last year. What's $25.

Also, I don't know how much I personally get out of my MCA membership, as I am perhaps the only MCA member in Texas, maybe a couple of others. But its the same deal. I know that the MCA guys put a tremendous amount of time putting together Carlisle, and if it wasn't for their efforts, I would have now way, no venue that is, to see or meet any members outside of Texas. Sure, I could look up Brad and visit him if I found myself in New Jersey on business, but I would never have seen 250 XR's in one place. A $20 membership (probably get that back in goodie bag stuff the first day) is a small price to pay if it provides for Carlisle, helps pay for IMON and the website, and helps out the organization (which I bet spends almost nothing in overhead.)

I can understand if someone feels that they cannot afford it, and that is certainly their choice. I can also understand if they want to gather on their own, which is certainly their constituional right. However, I think that with as small a following (what, say 1,000 people accross the US ?), its real important not to allow petty issues to become devisive rifts in the fan base for the car. Can't we all just get along .... ?
xr4man
Level 6
Level 6

Post by xr4man »

i agree on all those points. the mca doesa great job at putting together the events at the showfeild and needs the dues to help run it and take care of operating expenses.

what brad said about the the dinner tickets makes perfect sense, it just was not explained to me when i asked. basically i was made to feel that i was left out because i wasn't a paid member. like i said it just turned me off. and no $20 bucks isn't too much and yeah i do only live an hour south of carlisle, but what does that have to do with brad's original question about the "politics" and what to do about it?
ian the re-animator
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

xr4man wrote:... but what does that have to do with brad's original question about the "politics" and what to do about it?
As you know, misinformation is a problem. The key with resolving misinformation problems is going straight to the source (unless you like getting 'all up in' some gossip). That also may be what is at the root of Taryn's issue. Hopefully she takes the time to get information from the source, rather than merely reacting to an individual.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com