Swaybar Bushing Differences

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

anglin wrote:Craig did notice something that most people have apparently overlooked. There is a difference in bolt spacing between the early and the late brackets.
It has been determined that the brackets Craig was using with the wider bolt spacing were Scorpio sway bar/anti-roll bar brackets. There is no problem with bolt spacing on the brackets if you get the right brackets. So, if you use the Scorpio brackets, you'll have to modify the brackets to fit the bolt holes on the XR chassis. You may even have to select a different bolt with a smaller hex, no flange or a smaller flange, depending on the bolt.
Last edited by anglin on Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
phild765
Level 6
Level 6

Swaybar brackets

Post by phild765 »

We have new larger Scorpio brackets in stock, if you can't locate them elsewhere:

http://www.opmd.com/main.cfm?tpl=product.cfm&pid=206

Phil D
www.opmd.com
Camaro5690
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Swaybar Bushing Differences

Post by Camaro5690 »

I hate to revive such an old thread. But does anyone have actual measurements of the new style bracket? I mean the pics are great and all but nothing beats actual measurements for confirmation of the right bracket. Trying to find out if I can use the powerflex bushings on my 89 XR.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

ALL factory XR brackets are the same - there are no "early" or "late" XR sway bar brackets. (Smooth, with no stamping.)

Those new plated brackets shown in the pictures on page 1 are Scorpio brackets with the stamping 85GB-5488-AB. As noted the bolt spacing is further apart and you need to get creative to install them on an XR with smaller diameter bolts, etc. (Not the ideal solution.)

If you want the proper brackets that fit the XR (with the proper height and bolt spacing) and have the ridge in the center to accept powerflex bushings you'll want stamping
87BB-5488-AA.

Some additional info; avoid brackets with stamping 83BB-5488-AB. These fit the XR botl spacing, but you cannot attach the extra straight swaybar brace with this style of bracket.
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

[URL=http://s243.photobucket.com/user/Milehi ... h.jpg.html][IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... gcxpoh.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It's crappy Taiwanese Lincoln mill/drill, but it beats a die grinder

And why ain't my links working anymore?
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

[quote]ALL factory XR brackets are the same - there are no "early" or "late" XR sway bar brackets. (Smooth, with no stamping.)

Those new plated brackets shown in the pictures on page 1 are Scorpio brackets with the stamping 85GB-5488-AB. As noted the bolt spacing is further apart and you need to get creative to install them on an XR with smaller diameter bolts, etc. (Not the ideal solution.)

If you want the proper brackets that fit the XR (with the proper height and bolt spacing) and have the ridge in the center to accept powerflex bushings you'll want stamping
87BB-5488-AA.

Some additional info; avoid brackets with stamping 83BB-5488-AB. These fit the XR botl spacing, but you cannot attach the extra straight swaybar brace with this style of bracket.[/quote]

Are we sure? The bushings I ordered from mc2 do not fit my XR brackets. I have an 84 build car.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

[quote="hEaT"]Are we sure? The bushings I ordered from mc2 do not fit my XR brackets. I have an 84 build car.[/quote]

Yes I'm sure :)
Powerflex bushings from mc2 will not fit in any stock XR brackets.
hEaT
Level 7
Level 7

Post by hEaT »

Ahh okay, thanks Mike!