'92 - '94 Ranger Alternator Bracket Info

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

'92 - '94 Ranger Alternator Bracket Info

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

We've had info about this scattered in a bunch of threads - I thought I'd try to bring it all into one place.

There are a few different ways to do this, but obviously the starting point is the passenger-side mounted 3G alternator and bracket from a '92 - '94 2.3 Ranger. This alternator (only) is shared with the 90's Explorer, so it's readily available in the junkyard or you'll likely find it on the shelf at any autoparts store. The Explorer 12V+ power cable is also the perfect length for use in the XR and it comes complete with an in-line dual fusible link.

Assumming you still want power steering, here's what you need:

Crank pulley donor:
'83 - '88 Ranger or '87/8 Turbo Coupe (you can also use a '89 - '91 Ranger or '91 - '93 Mustang, but these are DIS engines so you'll have to get the ring gear that the pulley bolts to. These can often be rust-seized to the crank, but if you're considering a future DIS conversion, it might be worth the effort)

Water pump pulley donor:
'83 - '91 Ranger or '87 - '93 Mustang (no difference on the DIS engines, so this should be the easiest one to find)

Power steering bracket/pulley/tensioner:
'87 - '90 Mustang (best choice)
'91 - '93 Mustang (nearly as good, but one bolt hole doesn't line up)
'87/8 Turbo Coupe

The belt for the alternator side is Dayco 5060407 or Duralast 407K6, although you can go +/- about an inch in either direction and the tensioner will take up the slack.

Not sure about the pwr steering side belt, as I'm not running one, but here's a pic of what it looks like (not my engine).

Last edited by DPDISXR4Ti on Sun May 23, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad
merkurdriver
Level 8

Re: '92 - '94 Ranger Alternator Bracket Info

Post by merkurdriver »

Great info all in one place.
DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Power steering bracket/pulley/tensioner:
'87 - '90 Mustang (best choice)
'91 - '93 Mustang (nearly as good, but one bolt hole doesn't line up)
What about the '92-'94 Ranger Power steering bracket/pulley/tensioner? I thought those could be used if you trim a section off the top? Yes, no?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: '92 - '94 Ranger Alternator Bracket Info

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

merkurdriver wrote:What about the '92-'94 Ranger Power steering bracket/pulley/tensioner? I thought those could be used if you trim a section off the top? Yes, no?
That could only work if you're going with a true-serpentine, one belt setup. I specifically excluded that route cause I've never seen it done in a Merkur. I'm not sure if the bracket even fits in a Merkur. It *probably* does, but I just tried to stick with what I know works. If someone wants to supply more data to this thread (as opposed to guesses), I'm all for it.
Brad
MerkXRTurbo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MerkXRTurbo »

When joining a big IC with a radiator and cooling fans clearance can get a bit tight in the front of our engine bays. Does anyone know if the serpentine setups make this any tighter?
3" mandrel bent exhaust, Ported/Polished head, 1.89/1.57 valves, Gutted uppper/Knife edge lower intake, T3/T4, LA3, Big VAM, Cold air intake, 40bob header, Gillis valve, Forge BOV, Mustang SVO T5, Conquest intercooler, 20psi.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

MerkXRTurbo wrote:When joining a big IC with a radiator and cooling fans clearance can get a bit tight in the front of our engine bays. Does anyone know if the serpentine setups make this any tighter?
It depends, but generally it's about the same.

Here's a link to Chris Roth's site with pics of a couple different builds with this alternator/bracket setup. Bear in mind however, neither engine was destined for a Merkur installation.

http://rothfam.com/turboranger/rebuild2005/
Brad
granth
Level 3
Level 3

Post by granth »

The 92-94 Ranger p/s bracket/pulley/tensioner can work, but you need to get everything from it, crank pulleys and all. Ian's Targa car runs this setup.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

?

Post by Mike McCreight »

I'm working on this as well, (the entire Ranger setup)
YES it does cost serious space up front. Looking at the first pic here, that setup would give you room on the PS side for a puller fan. As it stands, I'm going pusher, and re-locating my (10"x11"x1") oil cooler and almost as big, but not as thick PS cooler, or sourcing where Ian found these(He's on a much need vacation, or I'd ask...)

My rad is a bit closer to the pulleys, and I already hogged out the mounting holes to slide them a far foreward as they'd go. The oblong holes in Chucks moutor mounts MAY come into play here. I don't want to have to go with a pusher fan. My SPAL fans are reversable, and I have the spiffy box that allows them to run backwards when I park, or get stuck in traffic.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: ?

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote:I'm working on this as well, (the entire Ranger setup)
YES it does cost serious space up front.
I guess I was answering this more in the context of the 2-belt setup I pictured above. Configured that way, there's more room on the driver side for intake pipe routing and a radiator-mounted fan.

Aside from "air space" savings, there's actually a bunch of reasons for favoring the 2-belt setup, not the least of which is simple availability. If the only piece you have to get from the '92 - '94 Ranger is the bracket, it can make life easier.
Brad
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

granth wrote:The 92-94 Ranger p/s bracket/pulley/tensioner can work, but you need to get everything from it, crank pulleys and all. Ian's Targa car runs this setup.
I thought Ian's rally car ran both brackets / serp. from 92-94 Ranger
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

merkurdriver wrote:
granth wrote:The 92-94 Ranger p/s bracket/pulley/tensioner can work, but you need to get everything from it, crank pulleys and all. Ian's Targa car runs this setup.
:dunno Aren't you both saying the same thing? :dunno
Brad
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
merkurdriver wrote:
:dunno Aren't you both saying the same thing? :dunno
I hate how things translate onto computer screens sometimes. :lol:
Yes, I'm agreeing with grant.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Adding this pic to cover the electrical hook-up part...

The green wire, the charging circuit, gets spliced into the small gauge blue wire that went to the original alternator. Suggest you cut it back some, as it's typically very "tired" out near the alternator.
Brad
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Ian's rally car with the Ranger Alt. & PS brackets & single belt. 8)

turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

quick question, which power steering pump are people using for this swap? I'm assuming the donor car's or is getting the XRs power steering pulley off an easy enough task?
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

The PS pumps are the same so just use what you have or swap one over.
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada