'92 - '94 Ranger Alternator Bracket Info

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Re: '92 - '94 Ranger Alternator Bracket Info

Post by Mike McCreight »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:We've had info about this scattered in a bunch of threads - I thought I'd try to bring it all into one place.
Crank pulley donor:
'83 - '88 Ranger or '87 - '90 Mustang (you can also use a '89 - '91 Ranger or '91 - '93 Mustang, but these are DIS engines so you'll have to get the ring gear that the pulley bolts to. These can often be rust-seized to the crank, but if you're considering a future DIS conversion, it might be worth the effort)
Well, the crank pulley I got with my setup is pooched.
Anyone have one, or planning a trip to the yard anytime soon?
Carlisle pickup preferred!
Thanks!!
Mike.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: '92 - '94 Ranger Alternator Bracket Info

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote:Well, the crank pulley I got with my setup is pooched. Anyone have one, or planning a trip to the yard anytime soon?
I presume you're looking for the 2-belt pulley, yes?

You don't need the DIS version, do you?
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Yup... 2 belt pulley. That was my error. :oops:
I'm guessing the donor car I bought the pulleys/bracket from didn't have AC?
Good thing I'm my own boss on this project.... I'd have fired myself long ago.
Don't care about the DIS thing either way, Brad. I won't be looking into alternate engine management beyond a LA3 anytime this year. I'll wait for the "new" developments to sort themselves out. I have $800+ into EEC Tuners that are now unsupported and virtually worthless... :roll:
Does this mean you have one, Brad? :D
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote:I'm guessing the donor car I bought the pulleys/bracket from didn't have AC?
No, it's an application dependant thing. The '92+ Rangers were all one belt, regardless of A/C or not. The '87+ Mustangs, TC's, and some of the earlier Rangers would be 2-belt (as shown above), again, regardless of A/C-equipped or not.

I don't have any extras Mike, but in all liklihood I'll do my usual junkyard stop on the way to Carlisle, so there's a chance I might come across one. You finally gonna make it down this year?
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Damn, I wonder what this crank pulley is from. :?
The pulley is inboard, not outboard where the Ranger one is. The seller said it was from a 89 Mustang.
No Carlisle for me agin this year, Brad. :cry:
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote:Damn, I wonder what this crank pulley is from. :?
The pulley is inboard, not outboard where the Ranger one is. The seller said it was from a 89 Mustang.
Have you got a pic of that one Mike? I can't recall ever seeing a crank pulley that had just the inner groove-set. And I know I've seen '87+ Mustangs that did not have A/C, and that still had the double row crank pulley.
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Here's one...
From when I painted it...
And then INSTALLED it. :oops:
I sorta figured it ran the alt. off the WP pulley, ala the AC on an XR setup. I never added 2+2=40 (the belt length...) when I ordered a bunch of stuff.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

I'm thinking that pulley must have come off an earlier Ranger, although it's not impossible that it could have been used on a '87 - '90 Mustang withOUT A/C. Might be a Canada-only thing, as the A/C-less cars I've seen down here still had the double. Does it have a p/n Mike?
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Not that I can read right now... I'm afraid to remove it immediately, as someone might get hurt when I hurl it. :evil:

The bracket and other pulleys fit, and it's from the 'States... The seller said it was from a 2.3 Mustang...
Just my luck to get the oddball. The blessed waterpump pulley lines up with the alt., and I ground the alternator pivots off the top of the PS pump bracket... Looking back at the pic, I wonder what was on the passenger side on the Mustang... An air pump? Wasn't that early 80's?
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Here's a setup JUST like the one I bought...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ford-2-3 ... ccessories
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote:Looking back at the pic, I wonder what was on the passenger side on the Mustang... An air pump? Wasn't that early 80's?
A/C compressor would be found on the passenger side. I think the last of the air-pump 2.3's was on the Mustang II in the late 70's.

Now that you've found another one of these single-belt crank pulleys, I'm beginning to think the A/C-less '87 - '90 Mustangs I've seen with the double-row pulley may have been "end-user A/C delete" cars. It's not like I've seen many of them - most cars were getting A/C by the late 80's.

Sorry if I led you astray on this one Mike. :oops: In case I find one on my pre-Carlisle junkyard visit, is Ian coming down to the show?
Brad
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

turboplz wrote:
Mike McCreight wrote:So.... Has anyone done this yet, and know what belt I'd need for the PS side? Is there some sort of "Code" for ordering a belt by it's length?
Got my 1989 Mustang PS assembly, and crank/water pump pulleys....Can't wait to dissemble everything , so I can sandblast and paint everything (again... :roll: )
BTW, if anyone wants a complete Ranger setup (cleaned, sandblasted and painted...) make me a reasonable offer!
I believe I used a 50" belt for the PS side, it was either that or a 49". The belt needs to be 6-ribbed which at auto zoo is usually a K6 part number.

I'm having issues with finding the perfect length for my alternator side which is the same piece Grayson has. 40" seemed to work fine at first, but now it squeeks...maybe a problem elsewhere though.

Jason
I found what my problem was with my setup...the alternator bearings were shot and causing my squeak. So the 40" is the correct size for the alternator/passenger side. I just picked up a 3g off a 98 Exploder for $19 at the local yard...gotta love the 50% memorial day sale! I also got the ranger valve cover gasket as a freebie...guy said it wasn't worth his time to try and find an item number for it, lol.

Good day today :thumb
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

Brad
Yes, I'll be around somewhere. I'll check in at the tent from time to time.
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Just a little update...
Managed to find a crank pulley locally, the DIS (EDIS??) 2 piece one, 93 Mustang.
There's NO way the 40" Goodyear belt is going on the alternator side. :x
I checked my ever growing pile of serpentine bits, and the other alternator pulley is larger than the one on the alternator. :? No help there.
Looks like I'm off to try to find a longer belt.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote:Just a little update...
Managed to find a crank pulley locally, the DIS (EDIS??) 2 piece one, 93 Mustang.
Yep, that works Mike. FWIW, it's a DIS setup - EDIS is found on the '95+ Rangers, which is a true serpentine, one belt deal.

I don't understand why a 40" belt isn't working for you Mike. :? Is your alternator pulley over-sized?
Brad