'92 - '94 Ranger Alternator Bracket Info

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

xrian wrote:The PS pumps are the same so just use what you have or swap one over.
That's what I thought, thanks for the clarification.
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

So.... Has anyone done this yet, and know what belt I'd need for the PS side? Is there some sort of "Code" for ordering a belt by it's length?
Got my 1989 Mustang PS assembly, and crank/water pump pulleys....Can't wait to dissemble everything , so I can sandblast and paint everything (again... :roll: )
BTW, if anyone wants a complete Ranger setup (cleaned, sandblasted and painted...) make me a reasonable offer!
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
Grayson
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Grayson »

This is a pic of my "late" Ranger power steering bracket used in a single-belt conversion. It's probably one of the '92-'94 ones that's being mentioned. The alternator bracket didn't change over the years as far as I can tell. In fact, I think my alternator bracket is off of a 1999 Ranger.

turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

Mike McCreight wrote:So.... Has anyone done this yet, and know what belt I'd need for the PS side? Is there some sort of "Code" for ordering a belt by it's length?
Got my 1989 Mustang PS assembly, and crank/water pump pulleys....Can't wait to dissemble everything , so I can sandblast and paint everything (again... :roll: )
BTW, if anyone wants a complete Ranger setup (cleaned, sandblasted and painted...) make me a reasonable offer!
I believe I used a 50" belt for the PS side, it was either that or a 49". The belt needs to be 6-ribbed which at auto zoo is usually a K6 part number.

I'm having issues with finding the perfect length for my alternator side which is the same piece Grayson has. 40" seemed to work fine at first, but now it squeeks...maybe a problem elsewhere though.

Jason
Jason

2014 Focus ST
aviatorpa23
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aviatorpa23 »

This is good info and cleans up the engine bay - except, and I speak for myself, living in Arizona, AC is nice on a typical warm August day, and rolling down the windows and driving fast, just does not make it! If I build a racer, I'll copy Brad's work. :D
Jim D.
Retired and Accepting it!
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Grayson wrote: The alternator bracket didn't change over the years as far as I can tell. In fact, I think my alternator bracket is off of a 1999 Ranger.
Thats a 92-94 Alternator bracket as well.
Def. not a 99 bracket.
95 + the alt bracket was one tall cast piece that included the mounting pedistool for the coil packs. Pre 95 the alt bracket and coil pack brackets were seperate.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote:So.... Has anyone done this yet, and know what belt I'd need for the PS side? Is there some sort of "Code" for ordering a belt by it's length?
Need more info Mike. 2-belt setup? Which pwr steering bracket? But yea, the length is part of the part#, but varies somewhat by belt manufacturer. For example, a 40", 6-groove Dayco belt would be p/n 5060400. The same belt from AutoZone would be Duralast p/n 400K6. Incidentally, that's the one you want for the alternator side with a 2-belt setup.

Regardless, usually I've found that as long as you know the length and number of grooves, only the biggest of AutoZone-idiots will still insist on ordering by application.
Last edited by DPDISXR4Ti on Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

merkurdriver wrote:Thats a 92-94 Alternator bracket as well.
Def. not a 99 bracket.
95 + the alt bracket was one tall cast piece that included the mounting pedistool for the coil packs. Pre 95 the alt bracket and coil pack brackets were seperate.
Precisely correct. :thumb Furthermore, the bolt pattern on the '95+ EDIS block is different, so no way is that bolting up to the earlier block unless you're getting all kinds of useless crazy and making an adapter.

The alternator itself however, is the same. Maybe that's where the confusion lies. :dunno That is BTW, the big plus in using this alternator. It's used on millions (literally) of Rangers and Explorers. It's fun getting one at the junkyard, cause you get to choose from dozens, typically finding one that got replaced two weeks before the car got junked. :D
Brad
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:. It's fun getting one at the junkyard, cause you get to choose from dozens, typically finding one that got replaced two weeks before the car got junked. :D
That's the truth. I got a 130amp unit off an Explorer that couldn't have been only a couple months old from autozoo...$15 well spent IMHO.
Jason

2014 Focus ST
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Need more info Mike. 2-belt setup? Which pwr steering bracket? But yea, the length is part of the part#, but varies somewhat by belt manufacturer. For example, a 40", 6-groove Dayco belt would be p/n 5060400. The same belt from AutoZone would be Duralast p/n 400K6. Incidentally, that's the one you want for the alternator side with a 2-belt setup.

Regardless, usually I've found that as long as you know the length and number of grooves, only the biggest of AutoZone-idiots will still insist on ordering by application.
I was referring to the pic you posted on page #1 Brad! With the Ranger setup, I knew JUST what belt to ask for, but with the 1/3 Ranger, 2/3 Mustang setup, I'm in uncharted waters!
I can order belts on-line for less than 1/2 what I get them here for, but I won't bother unless I know just what I'm after. :?
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

turboplz wrote:I believe I used a 50" belt for the PS side,
Yep, and I've just confirmed that. So that would be Dayco p/n 5060500 or Duralast p/n 500K6. That should be with a Mustang or TC bracket.
Brad
xrian
Level 7
Level 7

Post by xrian »

I have that PS mount just sitting here doing nothing (remember Mike?) It's your when you get yer but down here!
Ian G-J
Ontario, Canada
pacwest
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pacwest »

I'm quite fond of this setup. The single belt one that is. Might have to spend some time at the boneyard this weekend.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

pacwest wrote:I'm quite fond of this setup. The single belt one that is. Might have to spend some time at the boneyard this weekend.
Just realize, if you want the 1-belt setup, everything needs to come from the '92 - '94 Ranger. If doing the 2-belt setup, only the alternator bracket needs to come from the Ranger, and then you've got several different donor options for the pwr steering bracket and pulleys.
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Thanks for all the research help, Brad! :notworthy
Couple of things I've learned along the way...
My "RS500" intercooler is thicker than most. It's cost me a critical inch up front. I managed to get a 89 Mustang set of pulleys and PS bracket, so the Spal fan will fit on the engine side, in front of the PS pulley... My oil and PS coolers will stay up front, so I'll be able to recycle all that braided stainless jazz.
If you're looking for belts for this setup, I was lucky to find them on Ebay, after several searches. I got a pair of Goodyear belts for $21.50, that's less than I paid for my last set of V belts! :D Looks like free shipping on one, $2 for the 2nd one.
The seller is here:
http://stores.ebay.com/Close-out-AutoParts
Tell him ManotickMike says hello!