'92 - '94 Ranger Alternator Bracket Info

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
turboplz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by turboplz »

Mike McCreight wrote:Just a little update...
Managed to find a crank pulley locally, the DIS (EDIS??) 2 piece one, 93 Mustang.
There's NO way the 40" Goodyear belt is going on the alternator side. :x
I checked my ever growing pile of serpentine bits, and the other alternator pulley is larger than the one on the alternator. :? No help there.
Looks like I'm off to try to find a longer belt.
Is your tensioner on the alternator side in good shape? The first one I got out of the yard did not have the full range of movement to allow you to slip on/off the belt. Went back and found a good one and my problem was solved. The 40" belt is almost on the longer side for me though, if I could find a 39.75" belt that would be the ticket, but nobody stocks or can even order one in that odd size. Tried a 39.5" belt but it was too short.

Other than what Brad suggested, I'd say try the tensioner. If you need one there are literally 20 2.3 rangers in the local yard that I could grab one for you.

Sounds like you're definitely having a hell of a time with this swap Mike!
Jason

89 Xr4ti..."Bronze Turd"...long term project/current garage queen

2014 Focus ST
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

I'll say!
I figure the car is conspiring against me...
The tensioner is fine. It goes freely through the range of motion, then stops dead. The pulley on the alternator is a bit smaller than the one from an OEM alternator, so that's not it.
Maybe Goodyear belts are a bit on the short side? That's all I can figure.
Short of machining a bit off the brackets and alternator mounting surfaces, it's just not going to work.
I'll try a 41" belt.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Got a 41" belt, fits fine. I'll grab a pic and post it after today's marathon of wrenching and wiring. I just got my header and DP back from the welders, so there's LOTS to do. It's been holding up several projects. :evil:
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote:Got a 41" belt, fits fine.
That's probably the best all-around belt length to go with. The part#'s I provided earlier in this thread are for a 40.75" length belt - it's just what they happend to have hanging on the hook that was "close enough".

But damn Mike, you sure have done this project the hard way. :beats head It's like I trained you or something! :haha
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Well, Brad, I could definitely feel your presence... And that Murphy guy was here, too. The bastard. :evil:
Pic for posterity.
Ed Lijewski
Level 8

Post by Ed Lijewski »

What are those hose clamps and screws on the valve cover for?

YMMV 8)
Descartes: "Cogito Ergo Sum"
Lijewski: "Sum Ergo Drive-O. Mucho!
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

Ed Lijewski wrote:What are those hose clamps and screws on the valve cover for?

YMMV 8)
Hopefully getting ready to dump them in the trash for some nice SAAB clamps that don't bite the hose.
:)
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Frag wrote:Hopefully getting ready to dump them in the trash for some nice SAAB clamps that don't bite the hose.
Shhhh, don't let the secret out. I bet next you'll tell him that he can get those same awesome AWAB hose clamps off Volvos as well! :x
Brad
Frag
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Frag »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
Frag wrote:Hopefully getting ready to dump them in the trash for some nice SAAB clamps that don't bite the hose.
Shhhh, don't let the secret out. I bet next you'll tell him that he can get those same awesome AWAB hose clamps off Volvos as well! :x
Bah... Now he has TWO sources for decent clamps that don't ruin all that fancy hose he bought. Hopefully no one else sees this! :lol:
:)
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

YMMV 8)
Counterbalance.
Makes up for the starter brace, heater valve, fresh air door solenoid and reservoir ball thingy, yards of vacuum hose and switches, and the whole pile of other useless crap I've tossed.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote:

YMMV 8)
Counterbalance.
Makes up for the starter brace, heater valve, fresh air door solenoid and reservoir ball thingy, yards of vacuum hose and switches, and the whole pile of other useless crap I've tossed.
Best answer evar!
Brad
Teedyo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Teedyo »

Mike McCreight wrote:

YMMV 8)
Counterbalance.
I don't unnerstand. If you've lightened the back; shouldn't you also lighten the front for balance? Hmm... Perhaps it's a CG issue?
--
Tim
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

It's not just a fore and aft thing. NVH is black magic. I've been moving those clamps and screws around for quite a while trying to get it just right. Ford spent MILLIONS trying to get this 70s boat anchor with it's 50s starter to be as smooth as a BMW, but I don't have access to the powders, potions and special incantations they used. I just keep plugging away with trial and error, and my assortment of tin foil hats.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: '92 - '94 Ranger Alternator Bracket Info

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:Assumming you still want power steering, here's what you need:

Crank pulley donor:
'83 - '88 Ranger or '87 - '90 Mustang (you can also use a '89 - '91 Ranger or '91 - '93 Mustang, but these are DIS engines so you'll have to get the ring gear that the pulley bolts to. These can often be rust-seized to the crank, but if you're considering a future DIS conversion, it might be worth the effort)
I need to fix this statement, based now on my direct observation and Mike's experiences. The '87 - '90 Mustang uses a single-groove crank pulley, and will be of no use when using the '92 - '94 Ranger alternator bracket. Even the Mustangs with A/C use a single groove crank pulley.
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

:banghead