'92 - '94 Ranger Alternator Bracket Info

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Mike McCreight wrote::banghead
Sorry Mike. :oops: I made a quick stop at a junkyard on the way home from Maine the other day, saw an A/C-equipped '88 with the single-groove pulley, and immediately thought of this thread.
Brad
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

S'Okay, Brad.
Whenever I spot that single pulley (all blasted and painted...) sitting on the scrap pile, I think of YOU! :flame

:haha

So far so good with the setup.
Another note, for reference, don't sandblast the tensioner. Apparently I blasted away a bit of the friction reducer between the 2 halves. This led to mis-alignment that really wasn't apparent, until I ran it. the belt started to walk out of the pulley.
Also, if you're going with Stinger's center mount header, the wastegate is going to be REALLY close to the alternator. I decided to move the wastegate port towards the rear. This works better for the dump tube exit too.
It's not a hobby, it's an obsession!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

turboplz wrote:quick question, which power steering pump are people using for this swap? I'm assuming the donor car's or is getting the XRs power steering pulley off an easy enough task?
Whichever one's the quietest, i.e., neither one :lol: ... pulling the pulley is a PITA (did it at the parts store counter using their rental puller on the spot), but doable with the proper tool (why, oh why, did they HAVE to use a conventionally unremovable fastening method... :x ).
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

A little more info to add to this thread....

91dime wrote:
One other issue is that I'm going to use edis so I'll probably use a 98-01 2.5 serpentine crank pulley because it has a wheel on it. Will that pulley work with your alt bracket? Thanks!

The '95 - '01 EDIS crank is identical to the '92 - '94 as far as the pulley goes. It's a "one lane" pulley on the outer plane.

Not a huge deal, but I prefer the two belt setup because it puts a neutral force on the water pump and gives you a little more space between the rad and power steering pulley. Depending on your setup, that may or may not be a concern. Also, as mentioned previously, if going with the two-belt approach, you have a bunch more donors you can look to for the PS pump bracket.
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Re: '92 - '94 Ranger Alternator Bracket Info

Post by my8950 »

Reading up on this.
I had 92 Mustang that I took the brackets and pullies from.
My intention is to swap them over to my XR.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

my8950 wrote:Reading up on this.
I had 92 Mustang that I took the brackets and pullies from.
My intention is to swap them over to my XR.
FYI, '92 Mustang does NOT have the same brackets as '92 - '94 Ranger.
Brad
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Yeah, I got that.
I don't think I am going to relocate alternator, just swapping to 3G, then serpentine belt.
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Really enjoyed reading the last few pages. Very nostalgic. I rememberd when I actually WORKED on this car!
John Brennan
Level 8

Post by John Brennan »

Mike McCreight wrote:Really enjoyed reading the last few pages. Very nostalgic. I rememberd when I actually WORKED on this car!
Yeah, I know... tell me about it. Apparently, God's sleeve has caught on the Time Speed lever, and firewalled it...
This is my car, and these are my people!
2015 Fiesta ST
2020 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
Mike McCreight
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mike McCreight »

Been spending my (limited) time on a few dirt bikes.
Fairly easy to wrench on, GREAT exercise, and I can crack open a throttle, scare myself silly, without getting arrested.