Driveshaft pics XR T9, XR C3, Scorpio A4LD, Scorpio T9

Merkur Scorpio / XR4Ti Technical Library - Check here for answers to common questions, problems and modifications.

Moderator: John Brennan

Merkur Club web site
merkurdriver
Level 8

Driveshaft pics XR T9, XR C3, Scorpio A4LD, Scorpio T9

Post by merkurdriver »

Driveshaft pics XR T9, XR C3, Scorpio A4LD, Scorpio T9.

I sent these to anglin for the MTPP submission, but I thought a quick post up would be good to do as well. This is all 4 different Merkur driveshafts lined up.

Ray
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Ray »

Funny how the XR t9 driveshaft is shorter than the XR c3, yet the scorpio T9 driveshaft is longer than the A4LD.
-Ray
1985 Ford F150 - Tow Missile
1985 Merkur XR4Ti -#141 CP "Miss Daisy"
2005 Subaru LGT
http://www.cartct.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

demonfire wrote:Funny how the XR t9 driveshaft is shorter than the XR c3, yet the scorpio T9 driveshaft is longer than the A4LD.
By the data Mike's provided, you should be able to calculate how much length was added to the tail-housing to make the C3 into a A4LD. I come up with 4.625"

Good pic Mike. :thumb
Brad
milehighXR
Level 7
Level 7

Post by milehighXR »

DPDISXR4Ti wrote:
demonfire wrote:Funny how the XR t9 driveshaft is shorter than the XR c3, yet the scorpio T9 driveshaft is longer than the A4LD.
By the data Mike's provided, you should be able to calculate how much length was added to the tail-housing to make the C3 into a A4LD. I come up with 4.625"

Good pic Mike. :thumb
You mean to the front of the trans case for the OD unit :poke But you were just checkin' to see if I knew that :roll:
Johnny

1 86 XR aka Naomi- my first love, now daily driven project

DCLXVI
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Yeah, C3 tails and A4LD tails are identical. Not just identical looking, actually the same part/casting #/etc.
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

merkurdriver wrote:Yeah, C3 tails and A4LD tails are identical. Not just identical looking, actually the same part/casting #/etc.
I should know that - saved the C3 tail for that reason. So yea, I was just checking to see if y'all were paying attention. :lol:
Brad
anglin
Level 7
Level 7

Post by anglin »

Any reason why this shouldn't get moved to the FAQ directory?
Anglin email: - anglin at mc2racing.com
www.mc2racing.com
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

anglin wrote:Any reason why this shouldn't get moved to the FAQ directory?
Yes, this is highly classified material. Taliban use these prop-shafts for IED's all the time. :mrgreen:
Brad
DPDISXR4Ti
Site Admin

Re: Driveshaft pics XR T9, XR C3, Scorpio A4LD, Scorpio T9

Post by DPDISXR4Ti »

Bumping, as I've just moved this to the FAQ....
Brad
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Reposting the pic since the whole photobucket thing has blurred the original image...
Attachments
driveshafts3.jpg
driveshafts3.jpg (68.59 KiB) Viewed 13308 times
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

merkurdriver wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:22 am Reposting the pic since the whole photobucket thing has blurred the original image...
Is there an example of the driveshaft with U-joints instead of the center support bearing and guibo that could be added to the mix? I think since there are numerous ways to convert to T5, or simply swap the swap out to get rid of the guibo, it would be helpful in the next 10 years. I'm saying that because I realize this photo was originally posted in 2010. :)
It would help me to see one like that though, with u-joints instead of guibo. I understand driveshaft, but U-joints & 1310 and all that crap I do not.
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

Those are all stock driveshafts pictured. All stock driveshafts have the guibo, center support bearing, and staked in joints.
There are indeed numerous ways to stick a T5 in.
Here's milehighXR's image of a stock driveshaft (bottom) vs. one thats been modified for a T5 install:
Center support bearing is still there per usual, but the guibo has been removed and a common yoke welded in its place. Once that yoke is there, you can use off the shelf 1310 u joint to attach an off the shelf T5 slip yoke. Bolt it in and done.
Next T5 option is to use a driveshaft flange adapter from Merkur Midwest:
This bolts to the differential flange and changes the bolt pattern - this will allow you to bolt in a fox body Mustang T5 driveshaft into an XR.
This route also opens up the option to bolt in a M-4602-G Ford Motorsport Aluminum driveshaft also:
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

Ok, thanks for that...Seems like the one piece V two piece is a controversial topic for vibration & stuff.
I also heard that the aluminum D/S for the Fox is too big of diameter when installed in the XR, it hits the E-Brake cable mount, or something in that area.
We all have our own bastard combo that we're trying to do.
My plan is a 93 V8 T5 from a Mustang, not sure yet on D/S, and Supra diff...
merkurdriver
Level 8

Post by merkurdriver »

my8950 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:16 am I also heard that the aluminum D/S for the Fox is too big of diameter when installed in the XR, it hits the E-Brake cable mount, or something in that area.
Yes, the big diameter alum DS will (initially) hit the little e brake tabs...but that's pretty easily rectified by bending or cutting the edge of the tab for clearance. Having done both multiple times (steel Mustang DS as well), I really like the custom 2 piece route like in the pic above.
That being said, if you plan a Supra diff install down the road then you will have an easier time sticking a (new) diff flange on the Mustang DS vs. the XR DS.
my8950
Level 7
Level 7

Post by my8950 »

merkurdriver wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:44 am
my8950 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:16 am I also heard that the aluminum D/S for the Fox is too big of diameter when installed in the XR, it hits the E-Brake cable mount, or something in that area.
Yes, the big diameter alum DS will (initially) hit the little e brake tabs...but that's pretty easily rectified by bending or cutting the edge of the tab for clearance. Having done both multiple times (steel Mustang DS as well), I really like the custom 2 piece route like in the pic above.
That being said, if you plan a Supra diff install down the road then you will have an easier time sticking a (new) diff flange on the Mustang DS vs. the XR DS.
Gotcha, so based on what you say here, maybe my best bet is a one piece with the correct flanges? I guess I just wonder about the balancing of the one piece as it seems many people who go this route complain about vibration that doesn't seem to go away.